Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Soldato
Extra power requirements? It just plugs into a USB 3 A socket? And gives you 5m to a female USB A and USB C socket?

What's the extra power requirements?

Soldato
Right, here's what I've tried and seems to be working as an Oculus Link:-
- UGREEN USB 5m Extension Cable, USB 3.0 Male to Female Active Repeater Cable with Signal Amplifier Repeater
- JOTO USB Type C Cable [Extra Long 10ft], Type-C to USB 3.0 Type A Charging Data Cable
- 90 Degree USB C Type C Male to Female Adapter, Right & Left 90 Degree USB-C 3.1 Type-C Male to Female Extension Adapter
Basically about £35 in total...

I've tried this simply on the USB 3 port on the front of my case and all seems fine. Obviously sitting at the PC I can use just the 3M cable. And if I need more length, I have 8M in total! The 90 degree adapter runs the cable perfectly down the side of the Quest.

Soldato
Microphone should be working in the latest software, but there may be a lag while the Quest update is rolled out enabling it. Generally Oculus Home updates first, then the Quest software.

Soldato
Microphone should be working in the latest software, but there may be a lag while the Quest update is rolled out enabling it. Generally Oculus Home updates first, then the Quest software.
Sorry, is that the latest Oculus desktop (PC) software? Or the latest Oculus headset firmware/software?

Soldato
Oculus firmware version needs to match Oculus Desktop Software version (in most cases) for Link to work properly. Often one gets updated days (or weeks) before the other just have to be patient and keep checking.

think we are upto V14 released next (correct me if I`m wrong)

Soldato
Oculus firmware version needs to match Oculus Desktop Software version (in most cases) for Link to work properly. Often one gets updated days (or weeks) before the other just have to be patient and keep checking.

think we are upto V14 released next (correct me if I`m wrong)
Right both are 14 something now, and from a quick test, the mic now seems to be working :)

Thanks!

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Virtual Desktop 1.10 is out now has been for a few days. Reports so far I have read is its a vast improvement on 1.8, a lot smoother, less lag and it now incorporates SteamVR and Oculus within the VD app on the Quest and you can launch your PC games from within the Quest. I have yet to try it myself to see how this actually works if true.

Improves compatability with Steam and Oculus VR games and now the Steam VR version of The Walking Dead Saints and Sinners works now. Which is great as I bought it not realising it didnt work with Quest/VD. Good news for anyone like me that doesnt like to be tethered to play PC games.

Update:

WOW - just WOW you can now play your Steam VR games and Oculus games direct from within the Quest. Screenshot below shows the few games I have. Tried Walking Dead Saints and Sinners (Steam VR version) and it plays beautifully. Ramp up the detail to max in the settings and its smooth as butter. Really well impressed. No more link for me !!

(apologies for blurry screenshot)
VD1.JPG

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes that is correct. Reason being the Oculus Store version doesnt contain the SteamVR/Oculus interaction as Oculus asked for it to be removed but the Author made the full working version available via Sidequest store.

I also tried Trials of Tatooine and it seems a lot better too. Not tried anything else yet.

Soldato
Virtual Desktop 1.10 is out now has been for a few days. Reports so far I have read is its a vast improvement on 1.8, a lot smoother, less lag and it now incorporates SteamVR and Oculus within the VD app on the Quest and you can launch your PC games from within the Quest. I have yet to try it myself to see how this actually works if true.

Improves compatability with Steam and Oculus VR games and now the Steam VR version of The Walking Dead Saints and Sinners works now. Which is great as I bought it not realising it didnt work with Quest/VD. Good news for anyone like me that doesnt like to be tethered to play PC games.

Update:

WOW - just WOW you can now play your Steam VR games and Oculus games direct from within the Quest. Screenshot below shows the few games I have. Tried Walking Dead Saints and Sinners (Steam VR version) and it plays beautifully. Ramp up the detail to max in the settings and its smooth as butter. Really well impressed. No more link for me !!

(apologies for blurry screenshot)
VD1.JPG
Thoughts on Virtual Desktop vs a dedicated Link cable as regards quality of experience?

Soldato
I cant tell the difference. If you are a 240fps nut then it probably wont be for you. Thing is both are dirt cheap so there is no reason why you cant try both yourself if you have a Quest as you have to factor in your WIFI.

As I've said before I have used my Quest in the garden, on WIFI, playing games streamed from my PC via Virtual Desktop and the added space to move around was magic.

Soldato
I cant tell the difference. If you are a 240fps nut then it probably wont be for you. Thing is both are dirt cheap so there is no reason why you cant try both yourself if you have a Quest as you have to factor in your WIFI.

As I've said before I have used my Quest in the garden, on WIFI, playing games streamed from my PC via Virtual Desktop and the added space to move around was magic.
OK, so I need to get Sideloading up and going (which I've not done)? And then go from there?

Soldato
I've had mixed results with Virtual Desktop. The recent updates have been better, but there's an unacceptable amount of controller jitter and compression artefacts for me, unfortunately.

I've got a USB C cable for testing the Link feature, and that works very well and gives a clearer image than my Rift CV1, but the cable is too heavy and stiff to use for any length of time. I will get a link cable when they're available again, as I've just bought an Index so I'm going to pass my CV1 onto my daughter, and I'll use the Quest + Link for Oculus exclusives that don't run well on the Index.

Back
Top Bottom