What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Changed the oil pressure sensor on the fabia.

Still getting an intermittent oil warning light & beep. Going to change the oil filter in the morning to eliminate it as the problem only started after its service & I've read its a known problem with the filter being overtightned

Removed the oil filter to find the previous seal was still in the housing.
Removed & fitted a new filter, no problems since.

Soldato
Bought a (2nd hand) gearbox for the gto, they are now getting ridiculously rare and expensive with no spares obtainable from Mitsubishi or 3rd party, this was by no means cheap but the seller assures its perfect. Only fitting will tell which is a proper ball-ache of the job, the question is do i tackle it myself or just palm it off to a garage. Once you factor in new clutch/oil (stupid not to) it becomes quite a ££ affair :D

Man of Honour
Adjusted the cam timing on the Jetta this morning.

Idle has been a little lumpier since the cam and belt replacement last month and VAGCOM was showing the cam timing to be a little retarded against what most people "think" is best for these engines.

Easy 30 minute job and idle quality has definitely improved

Man of Honour
Dropped it off for it's 40k mile service 20k miles early. I really should have picked a car with longer intervals I've only had it since October and it was serviced just before I got it :o

Got given an SUV as a courtesy car, bit of a change from my little i20.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last night, dad bought an 06 Focus C Max 2.0TDCi, 130k on the clock, fp to it inside and out is pretty decent condition and starts up and drives lovely.

Me being me, I properly tested it out by taking it up the fast road and seeing what it could do, evidently my old man didn't do this on the test drive and probably pootled up the road and back, As soon as I got past 3k rpm car went into limp mode but didn't give an immediate EML, a quick turn off and back on resetted the car and it goes back to driving normally, but goes back into limp mode as soon as you pin the throttle down and go past 3k.

Eventually an EML did come up, with the fault code P242F - DPF Restriction - Ash Accumulation.....Ah the DPF reason I don't like diesel.

Google seems to suggest taking it for a long blast up the motorway and back will cure this, how likely on a car with 130k miles? Taa

Soldato
Last night, dad bought an 06 Focus C Max 2.0TDCi, 130k on the clock, fp to it inside and out is pretty decent condition and starts up and drives lovely.

Me being me, I properly tested it out by taking it up the fast road and seeing what it could do, evidently my old man didn't do this on the test drive and probably pootled up the road and back, As soon as I got past 3k rpm car went into limp mode but didn't give an immediate EML, a quick turn off and back on resetted the car and it goes back to driving normally, but goes back into limp mode as soon as you pin the throttle down and go past 3k.

Eventually an EML did come up, with the fault code P242F - DPF Restriction - Ash Accumulation.....Ah the DPF reason I don't like diesel.

Google seems to suggest taking it for a long blast up the motorway and back will cure this, how likely on a car with 130k miles? Taa
Give it a go.

Although how your going to get to motorway speeds when it can't go past 3k is a wonder lol

Soldato
Give it a go.

Although how your going to get to motorway speeds when it can't go past 3k is a wonder lol

Only goes into limp if your heavy accelerating past 3k

Update, my dad took it for a 30mile drive on the M4, was driving fine, but he got to the last fast road of the journey when coming home, put his foot down and goes into limp mode, so obviously the regeneration cycle thing didn't work.

The seller is a family friend anyway so we've let him know but apparantly he can fix it, so we'll give him the benefit of the doubt it's only a cheap car, if not get our money back and all that, only thing lost is the £40 diesel and the extra £40 the insurance charged to swap cars.

Soldato
You could always try some dpf cleaner and some quality brand diesel. Only other way would be to dismantle the dpf and clean it manually.

Just leaving it to the chap we bought it from, if he fixes it happy days, if not, oh well.

Would be nice if he does fix it, for an £800 banger it is actually in not bad nick at all and genuinely is a decent thing to drive for an old Ford, The plan is if we keep it is for me to take it to work every friday as my commute is over 30miles mostly M4 and 60-70mph dually which I assume would be enough to keep a diesel happy, as my dad's commute is only like 10miles to work, least it'll get a good run once a week.

Associate
Got the Recaro's fitted.

49622715192_2e7db903ba_z.jpg

Epic seat, car is starting to feel special to me.

Back
Top Bottom