• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official OCUK Cinebench R20 benchmark Thread ***

Associate
Hi all, Just completed building my new PC a couple of days ago https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-render-box.18880098/ currently in the process of testing out its capabilities.
This is my first go at overclocking on AMD. Up till this year I've always been an Intel fanboy... so I'm sure I've still got a lot learn. Managed to get it up to 4.425GHz all core but its not the stabalist when running Cinebench at this speed.

Here's my result so far.

FPxB40P.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
@UP
Excellent score, but I'm not ready to lose my 2nd place just yet.
Same as you, I was an Intel fanboy for years and still learning quirks of AMD.
2gssw1l.png

Last edited:
Associate
Hahaha you didn't waste any time in claiming that place back :D
I looked at your previous posts as a guide to gauge what speed and voltages I should be aiming for to get it over 19K
These were actually really useful, as I was totally unsure what voltages I could push to on threadripper.

That last score was a nice jump. Well done!
Looks like I'm going to have to push it up to 1.46v to have a chance of getting 4.5GHz stable

Associate
yeah at 4.425 the problem I had was CB not completing the render and then crashing. It took a few goes before it completed a render that scored better than your previous one. The OS remained stable the entire time though.
if time allows tomorrow I'll hopefully have a go at 4.5

Soldato
Do you reckon that's because you have faster RAM? I'm running Corsair Vengance Pro RGB 3200 CL16 DDR4

Yes that could well be it.

That voltage is fine unless the machine is under load no?

Well yes, but you shouldn't need to be setting voltage that high in the first place. I think I had roughly 1.3375v set to achieve 1.325v under load with LLC high.

Soldato
Yes that could well be it.

Well yes, but you shouldn't need to be setting voltage that high in the first place. I think I had roughly 1.3375v set to achieve 1.325v under load with LLC high.
Fair shout.

I just have normal with an offset of - 0.1 and it gives me 1.4v idle and 1.26v under load.

It's nothing for these chips when idle. So no worries at all.

Associate
@NoPost Well I gave it a go at 4.5 but I just couldn't get CB stable enough to get it to complete its render. Looks like your safe with your top place for 3970x..... for now ;)
I may give it another go when I get to grips with ryzen a bit more but I'm sure that wont be for a while.

on the plus side though I was able to find a good stable 24/7 speed/voltage/temp setting through doing all this. 4.3 @ 1.275 and sub 70c is good enough for me.

and for anybody wondering, Cinebench or any other cpu based 3d renderer that I know of at least doesn't really care about ram speeds... even on ryzen. RAM is basically just used for storing the assets in the scene eg. textures/meshes etc.

Man of Honour
Thanks to those in here who have posted their Threadripper clocks and voltages. I've realised mine on PBO was running around 4.1 peak under sustained load and using 1.35 Volts. I've manually set it to 4.3 now and a peak voltage of 1.275. Seems stable so far and temperatures are much improved.

Back
Top Bottom