Pro Cycling Discussion 2020

Soldato
Soldato
Was watching some old racing yesterday and thought you've got to feel for Mads Pederson, being able to wear the World Champs Jersey in the fewest races until the next world champs with only something like a maximum of 20 days of racing available to him between now and the next world champs.

I wonder how many of the races will go ahead, it's quite a big schedule and reliant on things dying down quite a lot, which I can't see with the varying reactions around the world to dealing with CV19.

Soldato
I would fully support a cancellation of Worlds this year.
If they can move the Olympics, they can forget world champs. It's not fair on current raindow stripe holders in any cycling discipline at all and with how crammed the schedule is, there would be no harm in not holding worlds this year.
We all know the only reason they intend to run WC's at all is to satisfy hosts/sponsors. No other reason.

Soldato
https://www.teamineos.com/article/chris-froome-to-leave-team-ineos-at-end-of-season

Team INEOS confirmed today that they will not be renewing Chris Froome’s contract at the end of this season.

Sir Dave Brailsford said: "Chris’s current contract comes to an end in December and we have taken the decision now not to renew it. We are making this announcement earlier than would usually be the case to put an end to recent speculation and allow the Team to focus on the season ahead.

Roll-on 2021!

Soldato
Hardly surprising, he's taking the money while he can, he could perform awfully at the tour and it won't matter now, understandable for a bloke of his age to guarantee his future. Good place to go with some strong money compared to a lot of the teams after COVID.

Soldato
Hardly surprising, he's taking the money while he can, he could perform awfully at the tour and it won't matter now, understandable for a bloke of his age to guarantee his future. Good place to go with some strong money compared to a lot of the teams after COVID.

agree - at best he's maybe got 1 or 2 "potential" opportunities to win a grand tour again due to his age, so a 3 year deal with probably very decent money is a no brainer.

Soldato
Not sure if anyone has been watching the Tour Recyled on ITV4 in the evenings, it fills the big cycling void in my life currently, funny to watch and hear the praise given to Bernal. Forgot how good Kwiato was on this edition as a support rider too.

Soldato
OP
Not sure if anyone has been watching the Tour Recyled on ITV4 in the evenings, it fills the big cycling void in my life currently, funny to watch and hear the praise given to Bernal. Forgot how good Kwiato was on this edition as a support rider too.
Is that still on catch-up? I need something...

Good shout with Redbull too but need some way to stream that to TV/play on smartTV.

Soldato
Tour of Sibiu (where?) started yesterday. Amusing 2.5km (!) prologue which started dry and then utterly hammered it down with the added bonus of strong winds. The course had loads of cobbles, so plenty of crashes and riders just cruising round.

Stage 1 today finishes with a 20km climb

Live coverage available:

https://ciclism.sibiu.ro/

Soldato
OP
Thanks for mentioning this, revisiting the 2018 TDF now with it. Crazy to think how much of it I actually remember watching! Really looking forward to getting later in the race as I think I missed some of the later stages the first time around. There's a little 30s introduction from G before each stage which was obviously done at the time. Just a shame they hadn't got him to add a lot more commentary to it afterwards, would have been fun!

Also a shame there's not older other re-runs of Tours/others on there, or did I miss a bunch? I really only started watching every stage of the Tour in 2015/16, then maybe only some highlights for 13/14. Would be good to see some of the earlier stuff, and I don't mean re-runs of the 70's and 80's or the Armstrong era, there's been a lot of clean good racing since then. Sky early days and even pre-sky is what I'm after. Cav at HTC etc. I've never been able to really hunt much of it down apart from very brief 5 minute highlights or badly done Youtube. 45min/1 hour long TV broadcasts are what I'm after to get more of a feel of the racing and get to know some teams and riders better that I otherwise missed.

Soldato
Thanks for mentioning this, revisiting the 2018 TDF now with it. Crazy to think how much of it I actually remember watching! Really looking forward to getting later in the race as I think I missed some of the later stages the first time around. There's a little 30s introduction from G before each stage which was obviously done at the time. Just a shame they hadn't got him to add a lot more commentary to it afterwards, would have been fun!

Also a shame there's not older other re-runs of Tours/others on there, or did I miss a bunch? I really only started watching every stage of the Tour in 2015/16, then maybe only some highlights for 13/14. Would be good to see some of the earlier stuff, and I don't mean re-runs of the 70's and 80's or the Armstrong era, there's been a lot of clean good racing since then. Sky early days and even pre-sky is what I'm after. Cav at HTC etc. I've never been able to really hunt much of it down apart from very brief 5 minute highlights or badly done Youtube. 45min/1 hour long TV broadcasts are what I'm after to get more of a feel of the racing and get to know some teams and riders better that I otherwise missed.

Obviously wasn't done at the time, it's all filmed in the same room :D ITV have done the hour long thing for as long as I remember from the mid 90s onwards and I think C4 had it before that.

Soldato
Quite enjoying burgos these last few days, today was a pretty brutal 8 or 9km final finish averaging 7.5% with up to 16% at points. Broke up early and continued fragmenting from there. Evenepoel showing he's got good form, putting Bennett, Chaves, Landa and Carapaz well behind him at the finish. Not sure on next few stages but suspect there'll be more action to come.

Odd seeing the spectators in masks cheering the riders on. But guess this is the new normal.

Back
Top Bottom