Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Associate
I learned something about the spawning algorithm last night in this game. For the Cherry Salmon, somewhere on your island will be a pool with a waterfall, fish there with bait, as there is nowehre else on screen for there to be fish to spawn, it increases your chances.

Alternatively, I seem to get them on my island. I'll have a go later, if I get one I'll message you and you can come get it from me :) - join the discord (in the OP) and we will sync up :D

(15-20 bait is nothing when you're fishing for elusive fish - I think between us @PixieLandGirl and I went through nearly 200 bait yesterday trying to get a Sturgeon each!)

Thanks Phate, i joined the Discord this morning, i just need to add my friend key. I am still working at the moment to not around all the time but if you do have a spare i would appreciate you saving me one :)

Caporegime
Jesus. I burned through 15 bait this morning and I thought that was enough. No way do I have the patience to even make 200 bait let alone scatter and fish them all! And digging all those clams! Hell, no! Can I buy fish bait anywhere?
Nope, if they did Toom Nook would be making money hand over fist! (more so than normal!) :p

PixeLandGirl and I took it in turns. So I farmed clams and made bait while she fished then would proceed to drop bait off to her for every 10-20 I made, then when she got her Sturgeon, we swapped over. Made the process a lot more bearable, even if it took several hours yesterday! I think I legitimately caught something like 100-120 fish on my own trying to do it :o

At the very top of my island I have one pool which falls into the rest of the river then onto sea. Do you mean that pool at the very beginning?

Yep thats the one. Usually at the highest point with a waterfall on it. Thats where I got my stringfish and a lot of Cherry Salmon in the process. Although I seem to pick up Cherry Salmon in my clifftop river quite regularly.

Caporegime
Thanks Phate, i joined the Discord this morning, i just need to add my friend key. I am still working at the moment to not around all the time but if you do have a spare i would appreciate you saving me one :)
Hopefully if work is quiet I'll get a chance to fish during the day. Next Cherry Salmon I get I'll leave aside for you.

Associate
Why does it matter if fish leave? Money?

Think this where you separate the hardcore from the casuals as while I’m happy just doing what I’m doing, the levels I’m seeing people go to isn’t for me.

But I guess that’s cool given this game.

Caporegime

Think this where you separate the hardcore from the casuals as while I’m happy just doing what I’m doing, the levels I’m seeing people go to isn’t for me.

No its just an OCD related thing for me. I am a collectathon type person. I like to 100% everything. The first few days I grinded like crazy on this game but slowed down the money making side of things massively now and I am definitely enjoying it more now I have relaxed. In terms of the fish, well if I don't get it now, it means waiting until Sept. Which of course isn't that big a deal, but I wanted it now :p - the whole point of this game is to take it entirely at your own pace at the end of the day. I see youtubers finding ways to exploit the games mechanics in all sorts of ways I wouldn't dream of to boost their bells and speed the whole thing up. But these are Youtubers doing it for views. So I get their perspective, its not mine though.

Plus I did legitimately do a triumphant cheer and bounce on the sofa when I finally got the Stugeon :p :D

EUTcqLfUEAErojK

Because I slowed down on other parts of the game I was able to focus on this one goal of that one fish. And it was damn rewarding when it came to :)

fez

fez

Caporegime
I didn't find the Sturgeon was hard to catch at all. I spent ages trying to catch a Stringfish and caught 5-6 sturgeon at the same time. It was on an island with a couple of waterfalls and then the inlet was at the bottom so while I was trying to get Stringfish I was keeping an eye on the inlet.

Associate

I wouldn't say i was hardcore, i wouldnt normally be to worried but ive now got a bee in my bonnet over the salmon because i know its leaving and it wont let me catch it! lol

Soldato

I think that's the nice thing about the game - I couldn't give a hoot about catching all the fish, at least atm, although I'm hopeful that if I play it for long enough I'll get most of them naturally. There are others who'll catch everything. Each to their own, it's a laid back game, and I feel like that's why it's doing so well at present

Associate
I finally caught the stringfish at midnight last night ... it was the last sesonal fish I needed to catch before the end of March. I think I must have gone through approx 200 fish bait yesterday before catching it. Didn't have as much of an issue catching the sturgeon ... I've caught several of them without having to try very hard. It's all just luck I guess.

Soldato
Resistance is futile :D

I'm around tonight if you want help.

Thanks for the offer though I don't generally play past 5. I may get a bit on in the morning before work - and as I am working from home I get to play a bit in the day. I missed everything about turnips yesterday because I didn't play at all. Time is limited *sigh*

fez

fez

Caporegime
I wouldn't bother with bait for some fish. You can just run around to despawn the ones you don't want by frightening them off and then just keep checking the areas they spawn in. Making bait doesn't seem to do much apart from lure a fish there? Doesn't make it a good fish or one you want.

Caporegime
I wouldn't bother with bait for some fish. You can just run around to despawn the ones you don't want by frightening them off and then just keep checking the areas they spawn in. Making bait doesn't seem to do much apart from lure a fish there? Doesn't make it a good fish or one you want.
Its forces a fish spawn. But you're right there is no control over which fish it is. So its a game of pot luck with some guidelines set by location & time of day (river mouth, clifftop etc)

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Its forces a fish spawn. But you're right there is no control over which fish it is. So its a game of pot luck with some guidelines set by location & time of day (river mouth, clifftop etc)

I did it for a bit but I found the time taken to find the manila and then craft made it pointless when it doesn't guarantee any quality of spawn.

On an unrelated note, the T-Rex is done!

fez

fez

Caporegime
It depends - for the Sturgeon I needed the spawn in the river mouth, which seemingly never happens on my island!

They don't, I find they are quite common on the random islands when you get one with waterfalls and a river mouth. They are far smaller than your island so the spawn rate seems much higher.

Back
Top Bottom