Energy Suppliers

Soldato
Soldato
My 12 month fixed tariff has ended and I'm looking for a new deal (electric only), Symbio Energy & Green.energy are offering the cheapest deals, does anyone recommend either of these suppliers?

Associate
I have been with Bulb for over 2 years. Made around £500 in referrals over that time period but started the switch away from them to ESB Energy earlier on this month, switching will go through on the 21st April. Should save around £150 a year and I got £25 from going through Uswitch from Quidco. I`ll let you know how the switch goes. I was reluctant to leave bulb but I had not had a referral for 6 months so I thought it was time for a switch.

Soldato
I'm currently with Bulb for electricity too but I made the mistake of not using a referral link to sign up to get free credit. Love the easy monthly billing, submit meter reading every month and get an accurate bill a few days later. Only problem was they set my direct debit too high when I switched and I'm now over £100 in credit (only used £25 of leccy a month for the past 3 months). I've since lowered my DD so that should come down a bit eventually.

Associate
I'm currently with Bulb for electricity too but I made the mistake of not using a referral link to sign up to get free credit. Love the easy monthly billing, submit meter reading every month and get an accurate bill a few days later. Only problem was they set my direct debit too high when I switched and I'm now over £100 in credit (only used £25 of leccy a month for the past 3 months). I've since lowered my DD so that should come down a bit eventually.

They did the same for me at the start and then the referrals started to come in and I was at one point £500 in credit. We had a free winter of energy this year and I`m still £269 in credit now which I will expect back at some point over the coming weeks. My first payment is due out on the 1st to the new company.

Soldato
I just received a cheque from iSupply energy, apologising that I had been overcharged when I dropped to their variable tariff when I was switching away. It was for £9.60 : £4.60 overcharge and a £5.00 goodwill gesture.

I switched away in June 2014! :D

Associate
i am on green for a month now and has been very smooth switch.

We went with green, it was fine for 6 months, then the bill went from £60 to £125 with no explanation. We phoned, they said they’d credit us. They didn’t. Went on for a few months until we switched to eon for £50 a month based on the usage since being with green. Green then charged us £225 for the final bill, plus £25 for ending early.

Many phone calls & emails got us no where. I would strongly recommend not going with them.

Soldato
We went with green, it was fine for 6 months, then the bill went from £60 to £125 with no explanation. We phoned, they said they’d credit us. They didn’t. Went on for a few months until we switched to eon for £50 a month based on the usage since being with green. Green then charged us £225 for the final bill, plus £25 for ending early.

Many phone calls & emails got us no where. I would strongly recommend not going with them.
I recently sign with Green oak plan hoping to save some money, only been with them for a month but so far the monthly price is about the same as I was paying bulb.
So far ive had no issues so fingers crossed.

Soldato
is that green.energy or gogreen ?

the standing charge is about half that of bulb - that's what I'd found, so about £100 p/a saved ... or 2 bulb referrals, that no one gets anymore.
Yes the standard charge and unit prices is lower then bulb so I am expecting to save some money but at the moment the monthly DD is the same.

Associate
is that green.energy or gogreen ?

the standing charge is about half that of bulb - that's what I'd found, so about £100 p/a saved ... or 2 bulb referrals, that no one gets anymore.

Just checked the bill, green network energy. Didn’t realise there were so many with such similar names.

Soldato
They did the same for me at the start and then the referrals started to come in and I was at one point £500 in credit. We had a free winter of energy this year and I`m still £269 in credit now which I will expect back at some point over the coming weeks. My first payment is due out on the 1st to the new company.

I've just done a quote with ESB Energy and it's coming up with the same I pay Bulb for my area.

Associate
I've just done a quote with ESB Energy and it's coming up with the same I pay Bulb for my area.

I have gone from 14.29p/kw for leecy and 2.93p/kw with bulb to 12.20p/kw and 2.30p/kw with ESB on an 18 month fixed deal the standing charges are more expensive with ESB as well 40.85 with bulb for both and about 45p with ESB but as I am a fairly high user of electric (10000kw/year) i can already see a saving of around £180 a year there and thats without the cheaper gas as well.

If i`m honest it looks like I might have switched just at the right time, lots of companies are pulling the cheaper deals after all the oil companies agreed to slow down sucking it out of the ground to try and stabilize the price.

Last edited:
Soldato
I switched out to Octopus Agile a few weeks ago. Going well so far:

TCTvgwv_d.webp

Almost 50% of the cost of Bulb Vari-"fair"!

Demand is low for electricity right now due to Coronavirus, and the high winds and clear skies mean we're generating loads of wind and solar power. So wholesale prices have been really, really cheap the past few weeks, often slipping in to negative pricing. 9am to 4pm tomorrow, we're on negative pricing again (i.e. being paid to consume electricity).

Soldato
Almost 50% of the cost of Bulb Vari-"fair"!
give us a zoom on an individual day - are you using negligible electricty 4-7pm ?
when I had downloaded octopus historic csv's consumption was prohibitory during those hours ... we like to eat in that slot.

Back
Top Bottom