iPhone SE 2020

Soldato
Could you not unlock your phone by accident with FaceID. I’m pretty sure I read something about that admittedly a while ago now.

Not easily. FaceID needs to recognize you first (the icon of a lock changes to an unlocked version) and then you have to swipe up with a thumb to open the phone. It's a great system, only let down by the fact that if your phone is on a desk you usually have to lift it up for FaceID to recognize you.

Soldato
It's just an iPhone 8. The prices of the 8 will drop now.

Yes… except for the CPU, RAM and ability to do things like Portrait Mode.

The iPhone 8 was released nearly 3 years ago so, as far as iOS updates etc go, the SE is going to have more longevity.

The 8 will have to drop by a lot before it becomes the better buy in my view.

Man of Honour
OP
I get that they are going to be phasing out bezels and keeping them black is aesthetically better on the premium models, but when did they start doing the white/silver version with a black front?

I haven't had a black front since my iPhone 3G!

Soldato
Wow these look excellent. I have to be honest, I like my 11 Pro but I’m not convinced now that it was worth it for me. The 11 probably would have been fine.

But then something like this would be perfect for me to use everyday without spending a small fortune. I think this is going to be a huge seller.

Soldato
Nah, the BoM for the Face ID components and having to make a new front panel with a notch rather than stamping out more iPhone 8 parts with tooling that has paid itself off years ago would have put another $100 on the price tag for an SE 2020 with Face ID.

It might have put another $5 or $10 on the BOM and it would be down to Apple how many times they multiplied that for the Rrp.

Associate
Wow these look excellent. I have to be honest, I like my 11 Pro but I’m not convinced now that it was worth it for me. The 11 probably would have been fine.

But then something like this would be perfect for me to use everyday without spending a small fortune. I think this is going to be a huge seller.
This.

Had the 11 been smaller I would have bought that, but it’s way too big.

However it seems the 5.4” iPhone may be the cheaper iPhone 12 model. Had I not got the 11 Pro, that would be the phone I’d be likely be getting and this SE would have definitely peaked my interest.

Soldato
When stores re open these will be hella popular from Genius Bar appointments.

cant begin to tell you how many mashed up iPhone 6s/7 we see and the swap price is, iirc, £379

Makes a lot more sense to get one of these

-edit-
Apple dropped price to £275.. newer model still makes sense imo

Permabanned
When stores re open these will be hella popular from Genius Bar appointments.

cant begin to tell you how many mashed up iPhone 6s/7 we see and the swap price is, iirc, £379

Makes a lot more sense to get one of these

-edit-
Apple dropped price to £275.. newer model still makes sense imo

Have they made it so iPhone 8 screens will fit this model though? If so there's plenty stock to go around to replace dead screens.

Back
Top Bottom