Final Fantasy VII - "Remake"

Soldato
Until you get to Ultimecia Castle and you have to get all your items back. Its was fine if you used a guide or took time to learn and play the card game.

Keeping your level as low as possible by not grinding mobs made the game too easy. Many grinded in Final Fantasy which is why they made the change with 8. When we took advantage of this new system it didn't make it more fun, it introduced a new efficient way of playing a game extremely quickly, and easily. It's not exactly great design modelling when looking at the bigger picture.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You could complete the entire game in little over 15 hours if you knew what you were doing and skipped the optional stuff.

Going to have to agree to disagree with this, I loved the combat in the SNES and PS1 era Final Fantasies, a large part of the turn off for me in later games were the poorly implemented attempts at real time combat. Once you got to grips with the materia system the combat in FF7 was a lot of fun, although I've a preference for turn based combat in JRPG's outside of the Tales and Star Ocean series anyway.
Same here. FF7 combat is one of my favourites. I actually enjoy that more than I am the remake combat if I am being honest.

Not been playing as much of late. Still on chapter 11 as I got busy with other stuff and for some reason it has not been as addictive as I thought it would be based on the first couple chapters.

Overall so far my feeling is I wish they had just updated the graphics of the game and left the gameplay largely intact. Before I started playing some people said there is a lot of filler in this game and based on where I am so far I am inclined to agree. Would have much preferred the game being released in one go. That said I am still very happy to have this rather than nothing. Still really enjoying it.

Soldato
I really hope it isn't more than 2 parts. I know it almost certainly will be, but this being just the first part is already pushing it tbh.... Saying they can't fit it all in to one game, then filling this part with guff side quests. It isn't as if they have created some massive sprawling city. It is just a series of corridors with a few hubs really.

I'm just about OK with Midgar being the first part as it is the more linear part of the original, but there is no reason the rest of the game can't be one game.

I'm really enjoying it, and I'll be looking forward to the next installment but I can't lie, I will be disappointed the more parts it is and I hope it is as few as possible.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I really hope it isn't more than 2 parts. I know it almost certainly will be, but this being just the first part is already pushing it tbh.... Saying they can't fit it all in to one game, then filling this part with guff side quests. It isn't as if they have created some massive sprawling city. It is just a series of corridors with a few hubs really.

I'm just about OK with Midgar being the first part as it is the more linear part of the original, but there is no reason the rest of the game can't be one game.

I'm really enjoying it, and I'll be looking forward to the next installment but I can't lie, I will be disappointed the more parts it is and I hope it is as few as possible.
Minimum 3 games based on guff side quests no one asked for imo. Wish they did not bother with those, waste of resources and makes the game worse imo.

Soldato
@jonneymendoza erm the combat in the original was not "pants" how dare you lol

I also remember spending ages fighting the cactus and the 3 weapons, would spend my maths lesson making tactics with my friend for ruby weapon Haha

I am on chapter 13 in the remake and I am loving it, hate that I keep pushing triangle for menu tho! As others have said I a really enjoying the combat in this and look forward to the next fight, the flashing out of jessie, biggs and wedge was brilliantly done
It was to me, one of the most annoying things of the original lol

Associate
Keeping your level as low as possible by not grinding mobs made the game too easy. Many grinded in Final Fantasy which is why they made the change with 8. When we took advantage of this new system it didn't make it more fun, it introduced a new efficient way of playing a game extremely quickly, and easily. It's not exactly great design modelling when looking at the bigger picture.

I recently completed FFVIII on the PC again via Steam and I completely forgot this is how the game works! I spent ages grinding for levels and carding mobs or stealing their materia etc and then it made the game even harder because the bosses were even higher level than before! Oops.

It make the game more interesting though and I never did fully understand the materia system in FFVIII - I preferred the simpler FFVII way instead! All I did was keep going in and selecting "Auto" lol. I did kind of understand it but I never changed it for different bosses like I should have done etc.

Soldato
I recently completed FFVIII on the PC again via Steam and I completely forgot this is how the game works! I spent ages grinding for levels and carding mobs or stealing their materia etc and then it made the game even harder because the bosses were even higher level than before! Oops.

It make the game more interesting though and I never did fully understand the materia system in FFVIII - I preferred the simpler FFVII way instead! All I did was keep going in and selecting "Auto" lol. I did kind of understand it but I never changed it for different bosses like I should have done etc.
Get the Quistis card, refine it into Triple, junction to Squalls strength stat, get him to critical health, Renzokuken everything in the game to win.

Bonus tip: Get Encounter-None from Diablos and spend the entire game without random encounters which also limits your level which makes every enemy in the game easier.

Caporegime
Planning to buy a UK copy in the next week or so on MM, if I see a good price.

Not bought digital for a couple of years, for various reasons.

First PS4 game i've seen that is 2 discs so wondering how this works. Do you install both discs and you need to keep 1 disc in the console to play, or do you have to swap discs (ala PS1 days!!!)

p.s. if anyone knows any good PSN UK deals, might just try that instead and semi begrudgingly buy it for £59.99

rp2000

Soldato

First PS4 game i've seen that is 2 discs so wondering how this works. Do you install both discs and you need to keep 1 disc in the console to play, or do you have to swap discs (ala PS1 days!!!)

p.s. if anyone knows any good PSN UK deals, might just try that instead and semi begrudgingly buy it for £59.99

rp2000

ShopTo has a sale on PSN cards at the minute. Think it works out to about £51.50 or so for £60 credit. Currently a copy available on the MM for £40 at the minute too.

Soldato

rp2000

One disc is just to install as a one off. The other you'll use in the console as normal when playing.

Caporegime
One disc is just to install as a one off. The other you'll use in the console as normal when playing.

Thanks, weird question. Will it be spinning all the time? I recall on PS3 or PS4 years ago (I have PS4 pro now) it was a minor annoyance for me as the spinning was loud, although I guess the PS4 Pro fans will be louder than the disc drive.

rp2000

Soldato
Thanks, weird question. Will it be spinning all the time? I recall on PS3 or PS4 years ago (I have PS4 pro now) it was a minor annoyance for me as the spinning was loud, although I guess the PS4 Pro fans will be louder than the disc drive.

rp2000

No idea, I bought the digital but I would imagine it's like any other PS4 game, you're more likely to hear your fans going a little loud than the disc tbh.

Caporegime
No idea, I bought the digital but I would imagine it's like any other PS4 game, you're more likely to hear your fans going a little loud than the disc tbh.

Many thanks for the info. I'm gonna get some cheap PSN cards and go digital, or grab a physical bargain on MM next week (after pay day!).

rp2000

Soldato
Tagged this as it's a spoiler if you haven't reached the plate scene yet, I wont actually come and read any replies as I want to finish the game and see how it evolves but after the "plate" scene I want to rant a little.

The stupid ghost things currently just feel like random crap plot armour at the moment. Whenever things have the possibility of deviating from the original lololololol ghosts lol.

Jessie doing well, ghosts lol, Wedge going to survive? Ghosts lol. Group turning up early enough to really ruin Shinra plan? Yup, you guess it, ghosts troll.

They have to have some purpose which I will assume will be revealed before the end but at this stage it's just an irritant which is spoiling an otherwise amazing remake. /Rant :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Up to chapter 11, story is still decent enough and aside from odd textures it really does look great in places but the on-rails nature of 90% of the game is grating on me. The puzzles are so dumbed down that they hardly count, more often than not the switch you need is next to the door or doodad you need to activate. The mini-games and sequences are poorly done for the most part and feel like a bad throwback rather than fun nostalgia.

I'll push on just because it's FFVII but were this not a FF game I'd have likely traded it by now.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Tagged this as it's a spoiler if you haven't reached the plate scene yet, I wont actually come and read any replies as I want to finish the game and see how it evolves but after the "plate" scene I want to rant a little.

The stupid ghost things currently just feel like random crap plot armour at the moment. Whenever things have the possibility of deviating from the original lololololol ghosts lol.

Jessie doing well, ghosts lol, Wedge going to survive? Ghosts lol. Group turning up early enough to really ruin Shinra plan? Yup, you guess it, ghosts troll.

They have to have some purpose which I will assume will be revealed before the end but at this stage it's just an irritant which is spoiling an otherwise amazing remake. /Rant :p
Agreed with what you said.

Up to chapter 11, story is still decent enough and aside from odd textures it really does look great in places but the on-rails nature of 90% of the game is grating on me. The puzzles are so dumbed down that they hardly count, more often than not the switch you need is next to the door or doodad you need to activate. The mini-games and sequences are poorly done for the most part and feel like a bad throwback rather than fun nostalgia.

I'll push on just because it's FFVII but were this not a FF game I'd have likely traded it by now.
Yeah, such a shame isn’t it, as I loved the way it started. Slowly went downhill. I think that is why I still have not completed it. Had it hooked me I would have completed it ages ago as I got like it like 4 days before it was released. Just way too much filler content that drags the game down...

Soldato
Done chapter 11 and it's almost a parody of linear games.

"How on earth we are ever going to get past this?!"
5 metres away is the magic McGuffin that gets you past it :rolleyes:

The map looked so promising but it's so misleading, there is only ever one path you can take other than some v minor deviation to get a potion or moogle medal.

On the upside, it looked awesome other than some hilariously bad textures at one point (won't post spoilers).

Associate
Get the Quistis card, refine it into Triple, junction to Squalls strength stat, get him to critical health, Renzokuken everything in the game to win.

Bonus tip: Get Encounter-None from Diablos and spend the entire game without random encounters which also limits your level which makes every enemy in the game easier.

Thanks for the tips I'll bear these in mind if I ever replay the game again. I really enjoyed it until the rules of the card game changed and it randomly picked my cards for me. I think I was too far in the game to change it back or I never tried to but then I started to lose interest in the game. Luckily I was pretty much at the end so carried on playing and finished it.

My pc had a bug on the final boss where it would slow to a picture book while ultimecia did certain attacks which annoyed the crap out of me but thankfully it was on the last transformation so it didn't take 1 hour to kill her!

Back
Top Bottom