Football and the Coronavirus

Don
I'm sure Utd will try to but they're not going to be buying players from every bottom half side. Even the likes of Utd and Liverpool, they won't spend like they would have otherwise. They're going to be around £100m worse off than had the season played out (on the assumption that it doesn't finish) and stand to lose a huge chunk of 'next seasons' matchday revenue also, with little prospect of games with crowds until the new year.

Don

If Leagues cannot be finished this was always likely to be the outcome. Assuming this settles the top of the table, that just leaves the PL/EFL to decide on the bottom and relegation/promotion. Worst case scenario, I suspect it'll be no relegations and the top 2 sides from the division below being promoted and then 2 up and 4 down the following season.
The rich clubs will need to make some purchases first to get the ball rolling again. Chelsea and Man u will spend for sure. They won't miss this chance to make up ground.
Any club that has money to spend will look to take advantage of the situation but there's going to be very few clubs with money and lots of clubs looking to sell. This money won't be distributed evenly. This idea that the transfer window will solve financial issues for clubs is fanciful to say the least. With games likely to be behind closed doors for well into next season, whenever that may be, the amount of money that even the biggest clubs have to spend will be limited.

Don
Arsenal to qualify for champs league

well i never! Might mean auba stays if so
I appreciate that you're most likely misunderstanding intentionally but just in case..... What UEFA are telling Leagues would mean Arsenal would finish either 8th or 9th, depending on whether points per game is used to determine final positions or they take the league as it currently stands. That would most likely mean Arsenal not even being in the Europa League. In fact the only way they'd make the Europa would be if City's UEFA ban stood and ppg was used, then Arsenal would be in the Europa qualification rounds.

edit: It's highly unlikely but I've seen it suggested that another way Leagues could finish 'on sporting merit' would be to use the standings after 19 games. The idea being that this would a cleaner/fairer way as every side would have played everybody once.

Last edited:
Don
It looks like UEFA have ended the dreams of the null and void crew. They've just released a statement with the key points below:
  • They're again stating that the main aim is for this season to be completed in full.
  • If seasons cannot be completed fully then there preference would be for some type of reformatted end to the season - in other words some sort of play-offs to decide positions that are up for grabs.
  • In cases where governments are preventing football to resume at all and or extreme financially damaging cases, Leagues are permitted to terminate earlier however European spots would need to be based on sporting merit in the 2019/20 domestic competitions. That could be the current league standing, points per game or even the standings as of half way through the season - the most likely being ppg.
  • UEFA will refuse entry into European competitions if League's don't play ball.

Man of Honour
I appreciate that you're most likely misunderstanding intentionally but just in case.....

I'll give The_One the benefit of the doubt, and assume they were referring to the reports that UEFA were going to advise using the coefficient system to determine who gets the spots. That would result in United, Liverpool, City and Arsenal qualifying for the CL.

Soldato
I'll give The_One the benefit of the doubt, and assume they were referring to the reports that UEFA were going to advise using the coefficient system to determine who gets the spots. That would result in United, Liverpool, City and Arsenal qualifying for the CL.

that's what I was thinking didn't realise it had changed again

Don
Points per game is the most likely outcome if the season cannot be resumed at all. The most interesting thing from the UEFA statement is them basically encouraging some sort of play-off if League's can resume but cannot play out in full.

Soldato
Would PPG alter any of the important positions for the Premier League compared to 'as it is now'? Given only a handful of teams have an extra game in hand. Guessing the only real change of any likely consequence would be Sheffield Utd moving into 6th?

Don
Would PPG alter any of the important positions for the Premier League compared to 'as it is now'? Given only a handful of teams have an extra game in hand. Guessing the only real change of any likely consequence would be Sheffield Utd moving into 6th?
And Arsenal moving ahead of Spurs. That would be a Europa qualifying spot if City's ban stands.

Soldato
Points per game is the most likely outcome if the season cannot be resumed at all. The most interesting thing from the UEFA statement is them basically encouraging some sort of play-off if League's can resume but cannot play out in full.

I read it as merited...like PPG. No way will they do a playoff to decide it. Youd need the whole league to participate anyway.

Don
I read it as merited...like PPG. No way will they do a playoff to decide it. Youd need the whole league to participate anyway.
Read the UEFA statement again ;)

It states that they want seasons to be completed in full however if it's not impossible to complete all remaining games then their preference is for there to be a reformatted end to the season (something like a play-off system*) and if there can be no football at all, then to use something like ppg.

*A play-off system is just one possible way seasons could be concluded if there was the opportunity to play some, if not all outstanding games and you'd expect there to be at least an element of common sense involved. Hypothetically, if they decide they can only play 4 rounds of fixtures then maybe they look at all sides that have a realistic chance of qualifying for the CL and they play a mini 4 game League with a handicap system. Another non play-off option might be to schedule 3 or 4 rounds of games that allows every side to finish the season on the same number of games played and also the same number of home and away games played.

Soldato
Youd have to get clubs to agree and that simply wont happen. This to me suggests PPG:

the clubs were selected pursuant to a procedure which was not objective, transparent and non-discriminatory so that the selected clubs could not be considered as having been qualified on sporting merit;

Imagine Man Utd getting a spot over Leicester because they won a few games in a one off. The only club that has actually qualified and the ones that can reach a CL place goes to 9th. Taking Liverpool out that leaves you with a playoff with 8 teams...madness.

Don
You need to read the entire statement @omnomnom. The part you have quoted is if League's cannot finish, either entirely or with a reformatted end to the season:

The ideal scenario, should the pandemic situation permit it, is to have the currently suspended domestic competitions completed enabling football clubs to qualify for UEFA club competitions on sporting merit in their original format. Should this outcome not be possible, in particular due to calendar issues, it would be preferable that suspended domestic competitions would restart with a different format in a manner which would still facilitate clubs to qualify on sporting merit.
https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/newsid=2641715.html

Back
Top Bottom