LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Soldato
Had mine a while now and still loving it, only complaint still is my one stuck pixel which is hard to notice as I have gains a dust larger, plus it's on green so can only be seen on a black screen.

How do people run there back lights so low during the day I have mine on 100% at night 70% - I like to make the white's pop out

Mainly playing Warzone atm, my 2080ti at this res struggles to see more than 120FPS so I'm running it in 10bit colour locked at 120hz, theres no real benefit to running 8bit 160hz???

Soldato
Had mine a while now and still loving it, only complaint still is my one stuck pixel which is hard to notice as I have gains a dust larger, plus it's on green so can only be seen on a black screen.

How do people run there back lights so low during the day I have mine on 100% at night 70% - I like to make the white's pop out

Mainly playing Warzone atm, my 2080ti at this res struggles to see more than 120FPS so I'm running it in 10bit colour locked at 120hz, theres no real benefit to running 8bit 160hz???

The screen is really bright that I had to turn it down even during day time!

Incidentally, what rig do you have? 120FPS on Warzone is pretty good I have to say! Is this out and about or inside buildings?

Soldato
8700k @ 5.1 and a Asus Strix 2080ti O/C with a custom curve in Afterburner. Out and about it'll drop down a bit but still way over 100fps, I saw a hit in performance moving from my X34 in games like battlefield, it's worth it though. The faster response time still makes things feel quicker

Associate

can you get it changed its just that it will probably affect your resale value a dead pixel.

Associate
I’m very happy I can’t hear a peep out of mine, coz although taking the backplate off would seem simple enough I’m not so sure about the fan from the pics I saw on reddit.

Reading that thread suggests that LG are insisting there is no fan, and they are upset at the noise. It’s weird because if the experience they’re describing were true, I’d be deeply unhappy and I really don’t hear a thing. Therefore, any perceptible fan noise and is recommend returning the unit.

I wonder if there are different screen variants, or they just live somewhere hot?

Associate
I’m very happy I can’t hear a peep out of mine, coz although taking the backplate off would seem simple enough I’m not so sure about the fan from the pics I saw on reddit.

Reading that thread suggests that LG are insisting there is no fan, and they are upset at the noise. It’s weird because if the experience they’re describing were true, I’d be deeply unhappy and I really don’t hear a thing. Therefore, any perceptible fan noise and is recommend returning the unit.

I wonder if there are different screen variants, or they just live somewhere hot?

I guess also depends on the quality of the fan they have put into the unit. I would be interested to know if you could swap in a good quality fan like noctua

Associate
I guess also depends on the quality of the fan they have put into the unit. I would be interested to know if you could swap in a good quality fan like noctua

Yeah, same. It doesn’t look like a standard fan type that noctua do from the pic.

From what I can make it out it seems like it’s a 60mm X 15mm width 12v 3 pin Sunon fan (Sunon EF60151S3-1C020-S99) but I’m not so sure it comes out easily based on the posts in reddit and they seem to suggest there may be another on the Gsync unit itself somewhere... I don’t think noctua do these types of fans from a quick cursory look.

Last edited:
Soldato
I actually heard the fan for the first time.
If you put the side of your face against the top of the panel you can feel a faint air flow on your cheek.

I believe i heard it for the first time since my room was quite warm....and I think it may have kicked in
But to be honest I really had to keep extremely quiet and still and focus on the monitor to make this out...

Associate
I gave that a go and still couldn't hear it - I am an old fart, so maybe can't hear higher pitched frequencies as well as someone in there 20s or 30s. I peeked through the grilled top bit tho and can see where it is, so it deffo exists. I took iPhone and ran a sound meter app which shows the room at 39Db and if I place it on top of the monitor above the fan it reads 41/42Db... Pretty quiet, but maybe in an otherwise fanless room it's noticeable. I have mostly Noctua fans on my PC, but the CPU radiator is cooled by Corsair ML 140mm fans which are a touch louder than the rest.

Associate
For the ones who recently acquired their monitor : do you have the "back from sleep" issue we were experiencing (I mean some of us) : basically when the monitor comes back from sleep mode the GSYNC is put on "off" and refresh rate set at 100Hz / Workaround is to switch off and on the monitor.

Many thanks !

Associate
I hadn't noticed the issue so just to tried to recreate it by setting display to power off after one minute in windows and by enabling deep sleep on the screen itself - power went off, it gave a warning about no signal and about going into sleep mode and then it promptly turned off. I gave it a couple of minutes before wiggling the mouse, and although it took a few seconds to come back on it did and the refresh remained at 160hz according to the on screen FPS counter and the display settings themselves. Obviously this was a quick test, so maybe it needs longer but it seems not to happen. What firmware version are you on? I'm pretty sure mine is on 1.20 according the the LG ultra monitor gear software (assuming that is indeed the FW and just the lighting software client version).

Associate
I was checking the reviews on TFTcentral comparing this to my current lg 34gk950f

lg 34gk950f average G2G measurement is 8.2
this monitors average is 3.7

how is that possible if its the same panel?

Back
Top Bottom