LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
Hey no worries dude, the response time is basically how quickly the monitor processor drives the pixel response and so because "Faster" (oops thought it was fastest, still used to my previous screen) is pushing quicker than the pixels can keep up you get some overshoot. It's an image trade off if you really want to get as close to 1ms response as possible. Fast is still exceptionally responsive and I would say the optimal setting for gaming while still being very good at everything else. Off is going best picture quality this panel can do with the least blurring and maximum overall brightness and Normal somewhere in the middle. Blooming lovely screen ain't it? Really enjoying mine :)

Have a read of the TFTCentral review on this screen. They speak to panel uniformity, back light brightness and response rate overdrive effects in detail. It's all good stuff.

Soldato
But do you guys have it on fast when watching things like youtube? It seems to stutter if you?
Or do you select different profiles for different use?

JF - you have it on all the time?

Also FPS counter on the panel - I guess this means refresh rate?

Associate
Have any of you guys got a picture of your monitors on a desk? Curious as to the sheer size of it.

Here you go fella. Feels like the perfect size and pixel density to me. Hopefully against the keyboard and mouse you get a sense of scale.

LG-38-GL950.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Have any of you guys got a picture of your monitors on a desk? Curious as to the sheer size of it.
Will get some pictures for you soon bud, please give me till this evening!

Fast all the time for me. FPS should actually be the frame rate, not just the refresh rate. :)

Hmm Fast all the time huh? I dont know just seems a little stuttery for me in that mode.

Also re: FPS counter... it shows just 144 when I run CoD MW even though the ingame counter is different :\

Associate
For me the FPS counter works in CODMW, but it could be a dependency on settings and other things can interfere. With Gsync enabled and vsync disabled I get a true reading. On the desktop it might as well be refresh rate, and it says 160 there.

Fast all the time for me. I don't see any stutters anywhere. Where are you seeing these? Youtube vids? Can you describe what you're seeing? Is it like the strobing effect of the faster mode or something else?

Soldato
Cheers Sibbers!

FPS Counter - seems to be working now :S Al good.

Stutters - I shouldnt say stuttering but more like ghosting effect? its like you can see the movement of the next frame before the one before it dissapearing. It seems to be in Youtube because everything else around it (moving windows around etc) is silky smooth at faster.
E.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIT8JM84V6
When the camera pans around its like a ghosting/flickering/stuttering effect when I go from no fast response all the way up to "Faster"

Sphere Lighting - any idea how this person has their sphere lighting brighter so bright? (in video mode you cannot adjust the brightness?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpIiiZm4RIE

Associate
Thats all she put.
i didnt mean that it sound/read harshly. i read this:

"+ Sphere Lighting (to me is the best feature of them all). Go for Video Sync Mode when in Full Screen. It's very nice experience."
" Image Quality and Colors. I recommend Setting Digital Vibrance to 66 and gamma to 0.85 (Nvidia Panel)"
"Vertical Scan lines & Screen Flicker when Gsync Module is Cold (around 10 minutes)."
"- Gamma Mode 3 is not dark enough like x34 is. This can be corrected by making 2 necessary Actions: : Go Nvidia Panel - Display - Adjust desktop color settings - drop GAMMA from 1.00 to 0.85"

I dont have one, yet, so i'm just waiting to see what you think :)

Associate
Ok yeah ghosting and smearing is what response rate will affect, but for me fast is great so that’s what I use. If you can see ghosting then perhaps you’re more sensitive to it, or you may have brightness and contrast settings up higher than me. TFT central has some guidance on their values after calibrating so that’s a good place to start. If you are in a bright room you might need higher values, but usually slightly lower values will give better accuracy and contrast (and ghosting or haloing).

As for the lighting effects in video mode, pretty sure they are just in a dark room there. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom