Madeleine McCann cops ask Home Office for more money to continue search for missing child

Soldato
If I put my address up here, told you when the doors are unlocked, and one of you turned up and shot me, who would be responsible for my death? Me or the psycho who shot me?

One night you leave £1000 in cash on your doorstep, do you expect it to be there in the morning? If in the morning it’s gone, while it has been stolen common sense dictates that you were stupid to leave there?

If you leave your car keys in your car and it gets stolen an insurance company will refuse to payout as you were negligent.

A child is worth more than money or a car, they were stupid and negligent in their care of their daughter, if they’d have stayed with her or got a babysitter she’d still be with them.

Soldato
Which completely misses the point... If you remove the kidnapper from the equation, no kidnapping would have occurred. The McCanns were not responsible for the death of their child.

Soldato
Which completely misses the point... If you remove the kidnapper from the equation, no kidnapping would have occurred. The McCanns were not responsible for the death of their child.

If there was a kidnapper and they were with the child no kidnapping would have taken place. Kidnapping is not an unknown crime, that’s why you look after your children.

The entomology of kidnap

The original meaning of kidnap, dating from the late seventeenth century, was "steal children”

Seems that McCanns never heard of it!

Soldato
Once again, absolute garbage. You cannot hold other people responsible for the actions of unconnected others.

Fully responsible no but maybe partially.

If you leave all your doors and windows unlocked whilst you go out to do your weekly shop, and you get burgled, how do you expect your home insurance is going to react?

I'm pretty sure they won't just pay out with a smile and say 'not your responsibility old chap, damn burglars, here's a cheque for all the stolen gear', I suspect they'd point you to the clause that says you need to take reasonable precaution to stop unauthorised people entering your home, such as locking it when you're not in it.

Pretending that we should be able to go about our lives freely as if no bad people exist is just naive - they do exist and it's completely reasonable to expect people to take reasonable precautions against the potential actions of those bad people. Whether this is locking your house when you go out or not leaving your children alone in a hotel, the principal at play is largely the same.

Soldato
Fully responsible no but maybe partially.

If you leave all your doors and windows unlocked whilst you go out to do your weekly shop, and you get burgled, how do you expect your home insurance is going to react?

I'm pretty sure they won't just pay out with a smile and say 'not your responsibility old chap, damn burglars, here's a cheque for all the stolen gear', I suspect they'd point you to the clause that says you need to take reasonable precaution to stop unauthorised people entering your home, such as locking it when you're not in it.

Pretending that we should be able to go about our lives freely as if no bad people exist is just naive - they do exist and it's completely reasonable to expect people to take reasonable precautions against the potential actions of those bad people. Whether this is locking your house when you go out or not leaving your children alone in a hotel, the principal at play is largely the same.

Exactly

Soldato
If there was a kidnapper and they were with the child no kidnapping would have taken place. Kidnapping is not an unknown crime, that’s why you look after your children.

The entomology of kidnap

The original meaning of kidnap, dating from the late seventeenth century, was "steal children”

Seems that McCanns never heard of it!

It’s not an unknown crime but the chances of being abducted in the US (only figures I could find) were about 1 in 10 million ie minimal. The McCanns were very, very unlucky indeed. They did nothing wrong because they used “common sense”, as someone above referred to, and reasonably decided their children would be safe. They cannot be held responsible for the actions of a single deranged individual.

Soldato
It’s not an unknown crime but the chances of being abducted in the US (only figures I could find) were about 1 in 10 million ie minimal. The McCanns were very, very unlucky indeed. They did nothing wrong because they used “common sense”, as someone above referred to, and reasonably decided their children would be safe. They cannot be held responsible for the actions of a single deranged individual.

They weren’t unlucky they were negligent, they gave the kidnapper the opportunity to abduct their child, they had no way of knowing their child was safe they were too far away. Common sense dictates that you don’t leave defenceless children on their own, it’s basic parenting.

If there had been a fire they could have lost all three children, would that have been unlucky as well?

Caporegime
How far do you go with that though? A 15 year old girl is fairly defenceless against a man when walking home, should a parent do 24/7 surveillance and have their eyes on them at all times because kidnappers exist?

I don't think anyone can deny that leaving children alone, especially abroad, at such a young age for half an hour stints is irresponsible considering they're both deemed intelligent. However, when you start directing pretty much all of the blame at them then the sky is the limit for other cases.

Soldato
They weren’t unlucky they were negligent, they gave the kidnapper the opportunity to abduct their child, they had no way of knowing their child was safe they were too far away. Common sense dictates that you don’t leave defenceless children on their own, it’s basic parenting.

If there had been a fire they could have lost all three children, would that have been unlucky as well?

Once again you refer to common sense. Common sense would rightly dictate that a kidnapping is improbable. The children were in bed sleeping where the risk was beyond minimal of anything happening. Once again, I say that you cannot blame the McCanns for the actions of a criminal individual.

Soldato
Once again you refer to common sense. Common sense would rightly dictate that a kidnapping is improbable. The children were in bed sleeping where the risk was beyond minimal of anything happening. Once again, I say that you cannot blame the McCanns for the actions of a criminal individual.

Improbable but not impossible, same as a fire breaking out or something as simple as one of the children waking up and injuring themselves. They were absent so therefore neglected their duty of care to the children. They had no way of knowing their status as they were absent. Risk doesn’t disappear when you put children to bed!

We don’t live in a paradise where bad things don’t happen, that’s why you take precautions, why do we bother having a Police force or a judicial system?

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, I can only imagine they were thinking of themselves and nothing else, tbh. Putting all sorts of excuses in place to justify to themselves that what they were doing was "fine" when they knew damn well it was not acceptable AT ALL. (at least they SHOULD have known this).

I mean, think about it... Not only did they leave Madeleine, but her 2 younger twin sister/brother in the apartment also. So they didn't give a toss 3 times over. Add to that something which is absolutely one of my biggest pet-hates....

A 3 year old, and a pair of 2 year olds, on a plane? Really?

How utterly selfish, ignorant, rude, obnoxious and uncaring do you have to be to both subject your children to those painful pressure-changes which causes ear's to pop and kids to scream and cry... While at the same time subjecting the rest of the planes occupants to the sounds of those kids screaming / crying etc.. due to said discomfort(s).. All because "The McCanns" wan't their summer holiday.

Well aren't they so ****ing special?

It is only the most self-centered, selfish, rude, ignorant, obnoxious, self-serving people who behave in such a manner. Most people have enough respect and sense of responsibility not to...

Wait what? So people with young children shouldn't fly and if they do they are selfish *****?? Are you serious? They were flying to Portugal not Japan ffs. They are due some criticism for leaving their children unattended but you are off your rocker on that one you really are and I speak as someone who never had kids and have sat by people with kids on a planes and yes they cry when their ears pop. Kids cry, its not the end of the world.

Associate
Wait what? So people with young children shouldn't fly and if they do they are selfish *****?? Are you serious? They were flying to Portugal not Japan ffs. They are due some criticism for leaving their children unattended but you are off your rocker on that one you really are and I speak as someone who never had kids and have sat by people with kids on a planes and yes they cry when their ears pop. Kids cry, its not the end of the world.

Allow me to induce pressure changes in your ear large enough to cause pain and make you cry and see if you think it's all gravy.

It demonstrates their character, they cared more for themselves, their holiday and their Tapas time than their children or other people.

Associate
The reason there are so few abductions is two fold: there aren't very many kidnappers out there and there are not many situations where a would-be kindapper could take a child, primarily because parents don't leave their children alone. There are obviously people out there who have the notion to take kids for whatever nefarious reasons but don't have the guts to do so for fear of being caught and their life ruined. I'd be willing to bet that there's a lot of sick barstewards out there who would do unspeakable things to children if they were guaranteed to get away with it.

As mentioned above the parents could've paid a baby sitter or, since there was a large group of them, they could've took turns where a different adult each night stayed with the kids and refrained from getting p!shed. I don't think they should be tried with murder but I certainly think they were negligent. As for punishment, who knows? I'm not a judge.

Out of interest, do you have any children? I've got 3 daughters.

Soldato
Allow me to induce pressure changes in your ear large enough to cause pain and make you cry and see if you think it's all gravy.

It demonstrates their character, they cared more for themselves, their holiday and their Tapas time than their children or other people.

LOL, I thought your post was just a windup ;)

Soldato
I dread to think what the #maddie/#mccanns hashtags are like on social media, even after all the years.

For some reason they attract a lot of very committed, angry loons.

I hope the McCann's get closure on this soon. I can't imagine what they've been through.

Soldato
I can understand why it instils such a strong emotional response, it’s like a parents worst nightmare come true, all parents make mistakes but few have to pay the price the McCann’s have. I feel some pity for them but just can’t reconcile it against their neglect.

Soldato
Yes, my first thoughts (when it happened) were along the lines of, "how tragic, they'll have to live with this for the rest of their lives", and I feel the same way now.

The level of involvement by many on social media though is ridiculous. They tweet about little else and their hatred for the McCanns, who they know nothing about, isn't very healthy. Come to mention it, didn't one of them kill herself a few years back after being confronted by a journalist?

Bonkers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Once again, absolute garbage. You cannot hold other people responsible for the actions of unconnected others.

lol . They are not only responsible , but here would be responsible by law to not leave a child alone if it places them at risk.

They did an upper class version of this https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/cant-believe-youve-gone-out-17254535 except in a foreign country where there seems to be a lot of reports of strange goings on and strange men hanging around at the time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was it true that they spent some of the fund to pay their mortgage and complete house repairs/renovations? I remember that being claimed but unsure if it was debunked.

Back
Top Bottom