LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
I just meant chasing them for explanations as to why it's worth the money.

That's not quite what I did, if there was additional cover over and above the guarantee then I would consider it. However, a "dedicated telephone number" is evidence of a con, so it's ruled out.

I thought it was worth sharing in a thread where people are likely to shop there and be offered the cover.

Soldato
That's not quite what I did, if there was additional cover over and above the guarantee then I would consider it. However, a "dedicated telephone number" is evidence of a con, so it's ruled out.

I thought it was worth sharing in a thread where people are likely to shop there and be offered the cover.

Additional care plans have been around since the 90's, and have always been a rip off. They've never offered additional cover beyond what the legal requirements of any warranty will provide the consumer. Is that a con? Depends on your definition... they're not illegal and offer exactly what they say. There's no additional or enhanced protection for your product, it's just easier to get through to someone if and when you do have a problem. That's all you're paying for.

Soldato
That’s not strictly true, if you are relying on consumer law the onus is on the consumer the fault existed at the point of manufacture which can be difficult. Under an extended warranty it isn’t. That said on this tv it is a con as it already has a 5 year warranty...

Soldato
best monitor ever

ttdvu4b66w351.jpg

What stand are you using with that?

Associate
Posting this text from another thread but have been running on an LG CX 48 since this Sunday afternoon. Holy shootballs, what an amazing gaming 'monitor'...!.

Took some serious setting up and settings tinkering, however. Windows is pretty much ok (some slightly funny text but this is due to the fact it's a tv) but I think it's very usable, after a couple of days working on it during lockdown work-from-home and I find it’s great. Lovely, spacious, expansive.

I don’t ‘see’ that it’s a tv any more. I noticed a very, very, very slight flickering, but think this disappeared when I turned off some sort of variably adjusted power saving features. Will let you know more after some more time with it. Working mainly with documents, spreadsheets and graphic intensive pdfs and image files. Running it in ‘Game’ mode with many setting adjustments and this works best as mr carrot says at the top of the thread.

Needed to play a bit with default zoom levels in certain apps like browsers, but I’m running 100% font size in windows 7.

The size is perfect - simply perfect. Have it on my desk just the right distance to be super immersive, but not too close and in my face. I used a third party vesa mount to get it at the right height off the desktop (30mm off the surface approx), and as close a distance from the back wall as I could get (the base that ships with the TV is very deep) so as not to be too close in a desk environment. I haven't installed it on the standard base that ships with the tv yet, went straight to vesa mount. I have a 750mm deep desk and pulled it off the wall by about 150-200mm. The vesa mount I used can oversail the edge of desk to hug the wall, so I’d say I sit at about 700-1000mm off the monitor face depending on if I’m leaning back for gaming or a bit closer for work and ‘concentration’.

Mount is HT01B-001 from HEMUDU. V cheap and not my intended permanent mount but works pretty well to be honest.

Am running it at 4K 60hz and will await better cards later in the year to (hopefully!) drive it at 120hz.

Am following various recommendations around burn in, might be overly cautious for now but will do more research to see how cautious I need to be. I happen to run stardock Fences which allows you to clear the desktop with a double click, so I can hide my desktop icons. Also have no back picture, and run auto-hide on taskbar. The monitor has a ‘pixel step’ feature which moves the screen image around periodically by about 1 or 2 pixels every now and again. This apparently additionally prevents burn in.

played some games (elite dangerous, alien isolation, left for dead 2) all awesome. Nice deep, rich colours and no ‘glow’ that you get from from normal panels. OLED really is amazing. Deep blacks especially good for games like Elite... nice rich, detailed, clarity of deep space. No blurring or ghosting, and all very very responsive. Size provides perfect peripheral immersion without being ‘head-turny’ (technical term, write it down).

Had to fiddle with gamma a little in games, and this goes part and parcel with the monitor ‘picture’ setup so there’s quite a lot to do to get colours, balance, tint, clear fonts, etc all working well. But I’ve got it in a good place now and really happy with it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had to fiddle with gamma a little in games, and this goes part and parcel with the monitor ‘picture’ setup so there’s quite a lot to do to get colours, balance, tint, clear fonts, etc all working well. But I’ve got it in a good place now and really happy with it.

Good to know - mine arrives tomorrow, I will post my thoughts on it too!

Soldato
Soldato
@Dave2150 that's a bit of information I didn't expect, I suppose I could use a Chromecast but wow that's some basic functionality missing for a £1500 TV!

What do you mean by scheduled TV, do you mean the Freeview functionality is missing too?

P.s. I appreciate the link you provided, but it's hard on the eyes with no parsing of bbcode. Is it the same for you?

Soldato
Just thought I'd post my early thoughts on the LG 48 CX. I've upgraded from a 40" Philips BDM4065UC so I'm used to this sort of size for PC desktop use.

Sadly I don't think I can test VRR yet, my graphics card is a 1080 so I don't think it's supported. Plus I definitely won't be able to run many games at 120Hz, so I'm sticking to less demanding titles.

I had to play with a few settings before I got the setup right, notably turning on "Just Scan: On" to get 1-to-1 and avoid overscan.

The good:
+ Picture quality is excellent, it's consistent across the whole screen.
+ Brightness of the OLED is excellent for desktop use, lots of options to play with colour tone/motion etc. too.
+ Depth of blacks is excellent, you can see creases in the folds of black trousers (lol).
+ For TV use, it's fantastic. I'm also using an external Humax freeview box, and it upscales 1080p brilliantly, almost to the point you think it's 4K content.
+ Text is very clear, there is a faint glow around some text (for example, black on grey) but it's perfectly readable and I think I need to play with the contrast / sharpness settings to reduce it.
+ 120Hz is excellent for desktop use. For gaming, I've only tried it in Rocket League (as this is well optimised for my card) and the picture quality and frame-rate were magnificent. Looking forward to the 3xxx series Nvidia powering games on this beast.
+ Design of the screen is beautiful, it looks amazing from the front. No noticeable glare.

The bad:
-
When an external device a device (TV or Freeview box) turns off, the TV does not automatically go into standby. It displays a stupid "No signal" message for a few minutes (not sure how long, haven't tested yet). This is quite irritating if you're expecting your screen to turn off.

Back
Top Bottom