• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
That's funny, consoles are using lower end specs yet the IQ differences between games now have to be blown up under a magnifying glass to tell the difference.
I wonder what the differences are going to be by years end?

For current gen? I doubt it - if you're not comparing it on Youtube, of course.

But let's not forget a lot of "next gen" titles are still 30fps, so yeah not really "magnifying glass".

Soldato
For current gen? I doubt it - if you're not comparing it on Youtube, of course.

But let's not forget a lot of "next gen" titles are still 30fps, so yeah not really "magnifying glass".
BTW this gen consoles are using GDDR5 not GDDR6. And I wouldn't call a Jaguar, PC level. ;)
Yet still screenshots are needed to tell the difference between ported games on PC vs console.
That's tells us something about the hardware used.

Last edited:
Soldato
It will depend on what developers decide to do in future. They could decide to increase RAM requirements on PC, instead of relying on streaming from the SSD.

As a sidenote, here is a video comparing the performance of star citizen on an SSD vs HDD

So basically in the framerate is cut in half by runing the game off a HDD

Soldato
Xbox series x reserves 2.5GB for the OS, I expect the PS4 to be pretty close. So lets say 13GB RAM is available.

SSD speeds are 2.4GB/s raw, 4.8GB/s compressed for the XBX and 5.5 GB/s Raw, 8-9GB/s Compressed for the PS5.
Also do you believe that Sony spent 100,000s maybe even millions of dollars on a custom SSD just for faster load times? IMO those SSDs are going to do more than just load level 2 secs quicker than an off the shelf PC SSD.

I never soley said faster loading times just you choice picking words. The main reason likely will be for loading greater/larger more complex textures, environments etc but loading times will still be a part of that. No more waiting for scenes to load etc.

Just a shame both consoles are only using less than 1TB from the factory. Next gen that could easily be only a couple of games.

Now on an already expensive console. I’m still sticking to my £600 estimation. An extra 1-2TB will not come cheap. And then if the user has say an external HDD will they have to sacrifice a fair bit of performance?

That's funny, consoles are using lower end specs yet the IQ differences between games now have to be blown up under a magnifying glass to tell the difference.
I wonder what the differences are going to be by years end?

Ive seen them side by side as I own both consoles and high end pc and the difference is quite huge. RDR2, assassins creeds for example ran at 30fps or less and was a blurry mess compared to my pc at 4k 60 frames mainly I guess due to the upscaling, lower settings and textures etc. Even on some of the big games such as god of war or horizon it’s quite easy to imagine the differences close up on faces and distant objects. It’s just no where near as sharp or as detailed.

Nothing any video on YouTube can show as they never show the true differences that you get in person.

They still do well for the price however no doubt about that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive seen them side by side as I own both consoles and high end pc and the difference is quite huge. RDR2, assassins creeds for example ran at 30fps or less and was a blurry mess compared to my pc at 4k 60 frames mainly I guess due to the upscaling, lower settings and textures etc. Even on some of the big games such as god of war or horizon it’s quite easy to imagine the differences close up on faces and distant objects. It’s just no where near as sharp or as detailed.

Nothing any video on YouTube can show as they never show the true differences that you get in person.

They still do well for the price however no doubt about that.
Huh? You are talking to someone who also has both. And I can assure there there is very little difference. And having a "high end" PC is a very ambiguous, nebulous term. All you are doing is increasing resolution and AA. Which I already know.
Fornite
Modern Warfare
Gears 5
Rocket League
etc. All require screenshots to note obvious differences. But anyway here is your RDR2

Again, very little difference unless you stop the frame, zoom in on it and look at it. I don't see console players jumping at the chance to pay 2x/3x more on PC to play the game for those differences. So at best we can only agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Soldato
Huh? You are talking to someone who also has both. And I can assure there there is very little difference. And having a "high end" PC is a very ambiguous, nebulous term. All you are doing is increasing resolution and AA. Which I already know.
Fornite
Modern Warfare
Gears 5
Rocket League
etc. All require screenshots to note obvious differences. But anyway here is your RDR2

Again, very little difference unless you stop the frame, zoom in on it and look at it. I don't see console players jumping at the chance to pay 2x/3x more on PC to play the game for those differences. So at best we can only agree to disagree.

A fair few settings more on pc than just AA and resolution. Considering rdr2 runs a fair few settings much lower than on pc even to the point of being lower than the lowest setting on pc. So there is a fair difference.

In my experience it’s pretty big. Even in that video the differences are very apparent, and that’s on a 720p video never mind a 4k one. Look at ps4 vs pc might as well be running at 1080p.

The difference on my 4k OLED is pretty massive when comparing the consoles to PC at 4k 60hz. A lot of older games look phenomenal such as TW3. Like a new game.

Obviously to some they wouldn’t be overly bothered. Hence why there are console gamers. I still don’t quite get your reasoning. If you can’t see any difference outside of screenshots why even bother with a next gen console?

Last edited:
Soldato
Moving from a gtx 1080 at 3440*1440 to the 2080S you'll find cards like the 1070 will suddenly age and be up against it in regard to the latest titles at high detail. But if that doesn't matter then that doesn't matter. It's just gaming.

Soldato
Fornite
Modern Warfare
Gears 5
Rocket League

Argues consoles are just as good as PC, posts 720p youtube video as proof... erm, did you actually think that was going to be compelling evidence?

Mind you, you must be fairly masochistic to come on to a PC enthusiasts website trying to big up consoles in the first place, why not just smash bricks in to your own genitals? It would be more productive. Or why not try going on to the BMW owners forum and tell them how great your Mazda is?

Caporegime
Argues consoles are just as good as PC, posts 720p youtube video as proof... erm, did you actually think that was going to be compelling evidence?

Mind you, you must be fairly masochistic to come on to a PC enthusiasts website trying to big up consoles in the first place, why not just smash bricks in to your own genitals? It would be more productive. Or why not try going on to the BMW owners forum and tell them how great your Mazda is?
Wow, maybe a bit harsh. :D

To be fair, when the PS5 is released, this will appear to be the first time in a long time that consoles are actually more powerful than the majority of gaming PC's. I would be tempted to buy one for the exclusives.

Soldato
Wow, maybe a bit harsh. :D

To be fair, when the PS5 is released, this will appear to be the first time in a long time that consoles are actually more powerful than the majority of gaming PC's. I would be tempted to buy one for the exclusives.

Yes the average punter is going to be fighting in the aisles to get these new consoles. On a large screen TV there's no competition for the money. If I hadn't already got a decent PC I'd be considering it too.

Caporegime
key words right there
Ok, can you please explain your logic of why it will not effectively be better than the majority of gaming PCs out there considering what we know of the specs so far? Are we going to turn this into an illogical PC-master-race-console-denial thing? :)

The PS5 is looking to be an absolute beast in terms of overall specs and hardware, there are many articles online analyzing it in detail. It's impressive to say the least, especially for around £500 which is what at least what the equivalent next-gen GPU will cost. I see it as a very viable complement to a gaming PC, but ultimately for me not a replacement as I play many RTS and modded games.

Is all the exclusive thing not stopped ?

All PS5 exclusives stopped? Of course not, where did you read that? https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202..._be_more_important_than_ever_before_says_sony

Last edited:

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Ok so pleas eexplain your logic of why it will not effectively be better than the majority of gaming PCs out there? Are we going to turn this into a childish PC-master-race-console-denial-argument?
Ok, can you please explain your logic of why it will not effectively be better than the majority of gaming PCs out there considering what we know of the specs so far? Are we going to turn this into an illogical PC-master-race-console-denial thing? :)
I missed the majority part. But why are you adding words like "illogical" in there? How is a discussion of performance metrics between two systems illogical? Try suppressing that reflex gag.

Caporegime
I missed the majority part. But why are you adding words like "illogical" in there? How is a discussion of performance metrics between two systems illogical? Try suppressing that reflex gag.
I do indeed have a reflex gag to illogical (as you provided no explanation and no good reasoning) and snipey posts dismissing consoles when we have enough info to make reasonable judgements about the power they will have. The fact you still don't provide any rationale in your follow-up post is telling.

Caporegime
At £500 are we looking at the 3070? Which based on the past, is usually equal to the Ti model in the previous generation?
Yes, I assume this will be the price-point for the 3070. It should perform roughly similar (give or take) to a 2080 Ti in raw performance, except with ~4x the RT capability that we are told Ampere will have. Until the official specs are released though these are of course assumptions. :)

Soldato
Yes the average punter is going to be fighting in the aisles to get these new consoles. On a large screen TV there's no competition for the money. If I hadn't already got a decent PC I'd be considering it too.

I don't have a gaming PC because I want an "average" experience.
Every time a new console gen comes out people jump on this forum saying that PC gaming is dead... 20 years later and PC hardware and games continue to break new records in sales... yes console gaming is always higher in terms of numbers, but it never diminishes PC gaming.

The fact that you think gaming on a TV is any way a good experience tells me everything I need to know about what you like about gaming. It is as drastically different a use case as you can possibly get to how I actually game.

Consoles could come out that are faster in every way than my PC and I would still buy a gaming PC over a console every day of the week. Its like going on to a DSLR forum and telling everyone your $1000 phone is better at taking pictures than their $500 DSLR. Maybe it is for the way you use your phone, but some people prefer all the customisation that's possible, its not strictly about cost or performance, they are completely different use cases.

Soldato
Agree with Andybird,

You can't play complex shooters such as squad or post scriptum as there are so many key binds impossible on a pad. And shooters use auto aim somewhat where the cross hairs snap onto target when clsoe enough. Consoles are fine for simple games complex games are made for the PC as they don't come out on Consoles, mayeb when they get keyboard and mouse connection then they will be an option but no way a small form console case is going to render 4k 120hz quietly.

Back
Top Bottom