• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

From 5820K to...?

Soldato
Wow, I'm impressed to see there's still some others using a 5820K! Though mine is nowhere near as overclocked as others. I just did a minimal increase from it's base 3.3GHz to 3.8GHz.

Although I am trying to figure out why everyone is advising I get a newer GPU than the RX590? I only bought it last month! Lol. Fair enough it's not exactly new tech. But it'll tide me over til AMD release whatever they plan to release after the RX5000 range. And it's been totally fine with the games I have played on it: Star Wars Fallen Jedi Order, Modern Warfare, Battlefront II, etc. Even had them on max settings.

Still running mine, ticks over at 4.2 and paired with a 2070. Occasionally I look at an upgrade but always after looking into the numbers, it doesn't make any sense.

Soldato
Had mine for 5+ years now and it's still pretty good in games. Will be expensive to replace as I'll need new CPU, RAM (got 2400 stuff) and motherboard - hopefully the upcoming AMD stuff will be a big enough leap for me to make the jump.

Soldato
I'm due a GPU upgrade as they appear to date more rapidly so I'll go with whatever gives me a decent boost from a 1080 Ti hopefully with some usable Ray Tracing but not priced like the 2080 TI! Having just built an AMD 3600 system for a friend it just wasn't that much faster (CPU benchmark) than my current 5820K with a mild OC. The cost reduction of the modern 6 core was good to see though.

I think I'll use Cyberpunk 2077 as a benchmark and if there's tangible gains from both a GPU & CPU then at last at least I'll have something to make use of a new system. I don't have full 4K so that will help the 5820K keep going.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had mine for 5+ years now and it's still pretty good in games. Will be expensive to replace as I'll need new CPU, RAM (got 2400 stuff) and motherboard - hopefully the upcoming AMD stuff will be a big enough leap for me to make the jump.

You could get 3200mhz ram now and reused it on a newer build. Not as much of a hit in one go.

Or get something like 3600mhz and down clock it.

Soldato
OP
Well I wasn't expecting more people to give their opinions regarding the 5820K. But it's good to hear what others are experiencing.

Question: And don't all bully me for this. Lol. I want to eventually change the RAM in my gaming machine. I currently have TeamGroup Elite 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C16 2400MHz Quad Channel Kit. What would be the ideal replacement for these in an RGB format? The motherboard I am using is an MSI X99A SLI Plus.

My gaming machine has undergone some changes recently. I have gone from non-RGB to RGB but mainly on the fans. Like I said, don't all bully me for this. :D

Associate
Well I wasn't expecting more people to give their opinions regarding the 5820K. But it's good to hear what others are experiencing.

Question: And don't all bully me for this. Lol. I want to eventually change the RAM in my gaming machine. I currently have TeamGroup Elite 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C16 2400MHz Quad Channel Kit. What would be the ideal replacement for these in an RGB format? The motherboard I am using is an MSI X99A SLI Plus.

My gaming machine has undergone some changes recently. I have gone from non-RGB to RGB but mainly on the fans. Like I said, don't all bully me for this. :D

You can use any RGB memory with x99 however compatibility is sketchy at best , i ran my Gskill Trident RGB 3200mhz on my Rampage V board without issues but the software doesn't play well with others , you need to enable Speed write in the bios to get the Rgb to work and that in itself can be risky, for example the Tactical Tracer rgb ram works fine with Asus Aura but the proprietary software won't work at all on x99 so you don't get full addressable control

Soldato
Do CPUs get faster, mature with age?

Depends if you’ve install any security mitigation’s on the 5820K. AMD seem to got a few percent out of the Ryzen chips with updates. A garden variety 5820K system is closer to a 1600X than it is to 3600 non X.

Last edited:
Soldato

I wouldn’t mess with the RAM if it’s working ok. X99 is systems can be a nightmare.

Soldato
I wouldn’t mess with the RAM if it’s working ok. X99 is systems can be a nightmare.

Never heard of that and I have 2 x99 rigs in the house

Depends if you’ve install any security mitigation’s on the 5820K. AMD seem to got a few percent out of the Ryzen chips with updates. A garden variety 5820K system is closer to a 1600X than it is to 3600 non X.

We're talking about an overclocked 5820k. So yeah it's pretty much a 3600

Associate
Relates to cold booting and DDR4 RAM training. Lots of issues at launch that have been mitigated with subsequent BIOS updates.

The only issues i ever had with ram training were with 3000 mhz ram, (but 3200 was fine) and a 6820k with a very poor imc , all memory booted at default with no issues however.

Soldato
OP
You can use any RGB memory with x99 however compatibility is sketchy at best , i ran my Gskill Trident RGB 3200mhz on my Rampage V board without issues but the software doesn't play well with others , you need to enable Speed write in the bios to get the Rgb to work and that in itself can be risky, for example the Tactical Tracer rgb ram works fine with Asus Aura but the proprietary software won't work at all on x99 so you don't get full addressable control

Thanks. I will bear that in mind. I had seen someone on Reddit use the Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB on their x99 and it looks at though it worked fine using the iCUE software.

I bought such RAM a couple of months ago for a new build I did for myself but I sent them back due to not allowing clearance for my AIO cooler. Now I wish I had kept them if I knew they could be utilised in x99 systems. Hindsight and all that.

Soldato
Never heard of that and I have 2 x99 rigs in the house

We're talking about an overclocked 5820k. So yeah it's pretty much a 3600

5820K’s are poor overclockers hence why they are closer to a Ryzen 1600.

X99 is notorious for memory problems, it’s no revelation.

To say a 5820K system is basically* a Ryzen 3600 system is wrong. You might as well say a X58 system is also the same.

Soldato

To say a 5820K system is basically* a Ryzen 3600 system is wrong. You might as well say a X58 system is also the same.

Almost all of them will do 4.5

So your saying your 1800x is the same as my 5960x?

Any proof of all this?

Associate

All my 5820k's did 4.5 , early and late . just the late ones required less voltage, and x99 was fine with memory compatibility, memory overclocking however is another story but that was greatly improved with bios updates.

What you have to remember is that X99 was the first ddr4 platform and as such was a test bed for ever increasing memory memory speeds (haswell e was rated up to 2133) in comparison DDR4 now (in modern intel systems) is pretty much Xmp plug and play, something Ryzen is continuing to struggle with but just like X99 is now much better than it was at launch.

Soldato
Almost all of them will do 4.5

So your saying your 1800x is the same as my 5960x?

Any proof of all this?

Google “5960X vs Ryzen 1800X” Id think my 1800X would be faster in most situations. Apart from maybe scenarios that can leverage the quad channel ram.

Are you saying your 5960X system is the same as my Zen 7702 system?

Are you saying a 5820K is the same as 3600?

Are you saying all 5820K’s will do 4.5?

Are saying X99 has no memory issues?

Caporegime
Some early batches of 5820k's did struggle, 4.3ghz was a good 24/7 clock on those.

However, I went through a few of them and knew more than a handful of people who had one and they could all do 4.5ghz at or under 1.3v. You also needed a motherboard with the OC socket.

Soldato
All my 5820k's did 4.5 , early and late . just the late ones required less voltage, and x99 was fine with memory compatibility, memory overclocking however is another story but that was greatly improved with bios updates.

What you have to remember is that X99 was the first ddr4 platform and as such was a test bed for ever increasing memory memory speeds (haswell e was rated up to 2133) in comparison DDR4 now (in modern intel systems) is pretty much Xmp plug and play, something Ryzen is continuing to struggle with but just like X99 is now much better than it was at launch.

X99 is a cut price Xeon platform repurposed for the desktop market. Hence why it’s problematic when you try pushing out of its design brief.

I’ve put a lot of time in on X99. It is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom