Rump or Sirloin?

Soldato
What was the point supposed to be?
That not owning your own open space prohibits you from cooking in one?
Yes. Exactly. Well done... Traipsing off to the park with your cooking utensils and food is hardly the same as walking out the back door into your own personal garden. I wasn't "bitching" either. You're clearly in an argumentative mood and I can't be bothered with that on a Friday afternoon, so I'm just going to leave it there :rolleyes:

Soldato
Yes. Exactly. Well done...
By that logic, you don't own a road, so you're prohibited from driving on a public one, right? Same for travelling on trains and busses, yes?
You don't need a garden in order to have a barbecue...

Traipsing off to the park with your cooking utensils and food is hardly the same as walking out the back door into your own personal garden.
But it is perfectly viable.. people generally call that a 'picnic' It's precisely why they make small, portable, disposable barbecues in the first place... and why they allow it even in some London parks. Add Holborn, Southwark, Highgate and Hackney to the list, incidentally (trust a Saffa to know all the braai spots!). When I had a flat in Camden, we just went up on the roof.

It doesn't have to be at home, in the garden you don't own, with the friends you presumably don't have space for... If you want to impose such limitations on yourself that's your choice, but it is not stopping anyone else.

I wasn't "bitching" either. You're clearly in an argumentative mood and I can't be bothered with that on a Friday afternoon, so I'm just going to leave it there :rolleyes:
I'm always in an argumentative mood, but especially when someone tries to challenge my post with a problem that doesn't even exist. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Anyway...

...I've got me some Ribeye steak from Aldi! Advice on how best to cook it in a frying pan is most welcome. Given the fat content I guess it needs to be cooked a bit slower?

Reading around it's just a matter of cooking as per any other steak. Slap it in on a hot pan for a few minutes each side then let it rest and gobble down.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Anyway...

...I've got me some Ribeye steak from Aldi! Advice on how best to cook it in a frying pan is most welcome. Given the fat content I guess it needs to be cooked a bit slower?

Reading around it's just a matter of cooking as per any other steak. Slap it in on a hot pan for a few minutes each side then let it rest and gobble down.

part oil, part butter (oil so butter doesn't burn). Really hot pan, couple mins each side to as dones as you need. You want some of the fat to render with a rib eye so don't be too gentle with it.

I visited my mum's yesterday and she had just had a delivery from her butcher and asked me to cook some steaks for our lunch. Had rib eyes, sirloins and fillets. I naturally had some of each. For me the flavour with rib eye is so much better > sirloin > fillet.

Soldato
part oil, part butter (oil so butter doesn't burn). Really hot pan, couple mins each side to as dones as you need. You want some of the fat to render with a rib eye so don't be too gentle with it.

I visited my mum's yesterday and she had just had a delivery from her butcher and asked me to cook some steaks for our lunch. Had rib eyes, sirloins and fillets. I naturally had some of each. For me the flavour with rib eye is so much better > sirloin > fillet.

What's the key to ensuring the fat is cooked but the meat isn't chewy? Please could you clarify what you mean by don't be too gentle?

Soldato
What's the key to ensuring the fat is cooked but the meat isn't chewy? Please could you clarify what you mean by don't be too gentle?
Probably a bit late for advice but with ribeye don't be afraid to head towards medium done, rather than rare/medium rare. As you say, you need to render the fat a bit more.

My top two tips for steak (especially ribeye) is salting at least 45mins before and spread a bit of mayo on either side before frying.

Salting: https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/the-food-lab-more-tips-for-perfect-steaks.html
Mayo: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/28/dining/mayo-meat-marinade.html

Enjoy!

Soldato
Probably a bit late for advice but with ribeye don't be afraid to head towards medium done, rather than rare/medium rare. As you say, you need to render the fat a bit more.

My top two tips for steak (especially ribeye) is salting at least 45mins before and spread a bit of mayo on either side before frying.

Salting: https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/the-food-lab-more-tips-for-perfect-steaks.html
Mayo: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/28/dining/mayo-meat-marinade.html

Enjoy!

Thanks, the plan is to eat it tomorrow. Medium is fine as long as the fat is cooked.

Soldato
OP
So after those Rump steaks we had from the supermarket, I decided to do some further trails, so I went our local butcher and got some rump steaks instead of my usual ribeye.

Massive steaks, cheaper then ribeye although given the size they did work our more expensive anyway, I was being greedy really these things were ridiculous. Plenty of seasoning, a bit of oil and left them at room temperature.

Cooked them on the gas BBQ we have at the coast and there was still a load of fat left in the bottom from when it was used last (could well have been me) anyway, turned it up real hot and started cooking them and all the fat caught and the thing turned into a fireball, but if anything it worked out as I managed to get a really good char on the outside, and rare in the middle. Some of the best steak I've had for a long time.

I still think ribeye is better but that isn't this thread. I think I'll need to try some sirloin next as it's been years and years since I've had one.

Permabanned
Investing in a good piece of cast iron changed the game for me. You just can't get that same crust on a normal frying pan unless you blast it until it's overdone. Only problem is that you can't really pepper your steaks before cooking as it just ends up tasting burnt.

Back
Top Bottom