Rump or Sirloin?

Soldato
OP
So reason I asked is we've been shopping online recently, the supermarket top range steaks only had sirloin or rump, I'd normally go ribeye.

Went for rump, didn't regret it, big juicy flavoursome, not too tough.

Admittedly we possibly got lucky, rump is more of a risk but paid off. Cooked well seasoned and oiled on a screaming hot gas BBQ, rare/medium rare.

Permabanned
So reason I asked is we've been shopping online recently, the supermarket top range steaks only had sirloin or rump, I'd normally go ribeye.

Went for rump, didn't regret it, big juicy flavoursome, not too tough.

Admittedly we possibly got lucky, rump is more of a risk but paid off. Cooked well seasoned and oiled on a screaming hot gas BBQ, rare/medium rare.
with rump you can never (80%) go wrong when rare ->med rare .. it's one of the best steaks out there.. if i could get a ribeye for near the same price i would

Soldato
I've been watching lots of videos recently about dry ageing steaks and it's something I really want to try soon.

Off the back of watching his videos I have a whole fillet dry ageing in the fridge. It's been in there about 4 weeks and last time I checked it weighed 15% less than it did when I put it in there. The fridge smells amazing, so beefy! I think we'll be cooking some steaks this weekend.

Soldato
Off the back of watching his videos I have a whole fillet dry ageing in the fridge. It's been in there about 4 weeks and last time I checked it weighed 15% less than it did when I put it in there. The fridge smells amazing, so beefy! I think we'll be cooking some steaks this weekend.

They're something else aren't they! I stumbled across it a while back and never realised how much I enjoyed just watching good steaks getting grilled. I can't imagine how good that A1 Dry aged Wagyu would've been!

Looking forward to hearing about your results if you don't mind? As soon as we're in the new house I want to try it! Still need to by a vacuum machine thingy though

Permabanned
I think generally it's harder to buy a 'bad' cut of rump as compared to Sirloin or Ribeye, but the taste and overall mouthfeel of a rump is just bad. It doesn't even really qualify as a steak to me as the fat content and marbling is so minimal by design of the cut. It's just a preference thing of course, I have friends who only ever exclusively buy Rump of steak nights. For me though, never.

Sirloin every time.

Ribeye over that if the cut looks decent.

Permabanned
i love a bit of donald rump

c4wi37l4zs651.jpg

Soldato
Looking forward to hearing about your results if you don't mind? As soon as we're in the new house I want to try it! Still need to by a vacuum machine thingy though

Sure! I'm going to weigh it again later so I'll grab a pic too. Last time I looked it was really dark and very firm to the touch. Should be tasty :)

Soldato
Rump for me but I always pick one with fine marbling and not big chunks of fat in. Same reason I'm not a fan of sirloin, the fat tends to be around the edge without much marbling which isn't as nice.

Soldato
Always used to prefer sirloin but as I’ve got better at cooking I prefer rump but both are preferable to ribeye any day of the week. Tomahawk for those special occasions.

Back
Top Bottom