Rump or Sirloin?

Soldato
picked up some of the waitrose basics rump on offer - seemed very good, just did 2 minutes a side on cast iron (striped)griddle and ~100C oven for a couple of minutes, foiled, rest.
Had originally planned to try the infra-red ekectric grill, which would have been just as hot, but the cleanup, with non-removable plates, would have been hassle.

Struck me that with the usual 10mm thickness from supermarkets you would ovecook this if you did any kind of sous-vide,
you need to maillard the outside, and that heat is all that is required to rare/warm the middle.

Associate
Usually if I'm going to buy one of these it would be rump, but only to make something like a stir fry. I actually need to find a decent butcher where I can get flank or skirt steak for that purpose, but for the time being rump will suffice.

If I was actually going to eat one as a steak it would probably be sirloin. Ribeye is much better than either for that purpose though IMO. The few times that I've eaten a decent sirloin or rump, I was far from overwhelmed.

Back
Top Bottom