MSI's X570 Tomahawk May Become Go-To OC Board??

Associate
Just updated, out of curiosity what were the XMP issues? Been running my Corsair RAM at 3600hz since owning the board without issue.

You couldn't run RAM above 3200 else it wouldn't post or if it did it would never be stable. The tomahawk was not one of the boards effected only the higher up MSI boards.

Soldato
I have no issues atm, so until the bios goes to a non beta status, or has a newer agesa version, I can't see a reason to update from 14 :)

Soldato
Just built a my new system with a 5600x and x570 Tomahawk. All seems good so far except for my Internet speed. I'm on virgin and normally download at 45mb/s + but since having this setup I'm only getting 8mb/s max. Speed test is showing my connection as around 70mb where as before it would be 380mb. My phone on speedtet is getting 330mb + so I don't think they issuen is With virgin.

I've installed latest amd chipset drivers and ethernet driver for the board from msi's site.

Any thought's?

Soldato
Are you using ethernet or wifi ?
I had used both on my Sky router and was d/l at my normal speeds (75 mbps), but obviously it isnt virgin speeds.
Try the wifi if using ethernet (or vice versa).

Soldato
I was using Ethernet but the problem seems to have solved itself.

Was still getting slow speeds so connected via WiFi and got getting the speeds I expect. Plugged Cat cable back in, disabled WiFi and got downloads at usual speeds

Associate
I was using Ethernet but the problem seems to have solved itself.

Was still getting slow speeds so connected via WiFi and got getting the speeds I expect. Plugged Cat cable back in, disabled WiFi and got downloads at usual speeds

That's great. For the ethernet drivers I recommend getting them straight from Realtek site. instead of MSI's page. Also I remember reading somewhere about somebody who had an Ethernet port slow speed issue with his Cisco switch. He had to change it to another brand.

Soldato
TBH I never installed the drivers, windows did the ethernet on install, and then the first of the windows updates (older DVD) added the wifi.
The only thing I got from MSI was the dragon software to set the rgb to one colour, then uninstalled it :)

Associate
TBH I never installed the drivers, windows did the ethernet on install, and then the first of the windows updates (older DVD) added the wifi.
The only thing I got from MSI was the dragon software to set the rgb to one colour, then uninstalled it :)

:D I will do the same for RGB. I wish mobo's builtin RGBs would be controllable via BIOS. I'm planning on controlling case fans from BIOS, I don't want anything to do with dragon software. I will have my share of issues with iCUE and that's enough. ;)

Soldato
TBH I never installed the drivers, windows did the ethernet on install :)

TBH the only i went and got the drivers from MSI was because I had the download speed issue. Every else seem to be install and working fine just from the windows installation. The ethernet driver from MSI's site was a never version than the driver Windows installed though

Associate
Recently tried this board and had to get rid of it a few days later. What an absolute disaster. I'm aware there will be many people who don't have an issues, however a quick visit over to the MSI forums will reveal that the problem is more widespread that you'd think.

For me whenever I'd have Core Performance Boost enabled, the system would BSOD every single time after BIOS v140. Although on any BIOS before that I would get perhaps a day of usage before the system went nuts and started blue screening again. These restarts would occur regardless of booting to an actual Windows installation or even a Windows install USB (i tried multiple sticks too). Not only that but after one of the crashes my ethernet died and left me having to revert to the WiFi. Swapping back to a B550 again removed all these problems and I've had a stable system ever since.

FYI I'm on a 3700X but users on the new 5000 series have also reported similar issues.

It's always been a case historically if your PC is stable and running well not to temp fate and update the BIOS.
It's a little harder these days to stick to that when they are introducing new features, adding CPU compatibility etc.

You would just wish that they get it right with each BIOS release and not break things.
But I guess we have all become beta testers really lol.

Associate
It's always been a case historically if your PC is stable and running well not to temp fate and update the BIOS.
It's a little harder these days to stick to that when they are introducing new features, adding CPU compatibility etc.

You would just wish that they get it right with each BIOS release and not break things.
But I guess we have all become beta testers really lol.

I've probably become a little complacent over the years of never actually having any bad experiences when updating a BIOS. Unfortunately reverting to the one that shipped didn't even help.

Glad some people are having success with this board though.

Soldato
Anyone know if the USB ports support charging when the PC is off but still plugged in to the mains?

Previous builds I've been able to leave my mouse in its dock overnight & its charged ok. Now however as soon as the pc powers down no power is supplied the dock.

Looked through the manual & gone through all the USB settings but cant find anything relating to it.

Associate
Anyone know if the USB ports support charging when the PC is off but still plugged in to the mains?

Previous builds I've been able to leave my mouse in its dock overnight & its charged ok. Now however as soon as the pc powers down no power is supplied the dock.

Looked through the manual & gone through all the USB settings but cant find anything relating to it.

I don't own this board so not 100% sure on this but I think that option is enabled via the supercharger function found in the dragon center software. Just a guess from a Google search, so you might want to wait for genuine owners to answer :)

Soldato
Thanks for the suggestion, not got dragon Centre installed but will look into it to see if its something I can set then uninstall the program as last time I used it I found it a less than great bit of software

Soldato
Glad some people are having success with this board though.

Got a 5600x and 2x16gb of the 8pack ram I'm my Tomahawk. Not had any issues so far other than initial download speeds that sorted itself out. Had the system up and running for less than a week though so not really played about with it yet other than setting xmp and disabling pbo. Everything seems very stable for me though. I'll start tuning when I get the time.

Associate
Just installed my 5800x and Tomahawk, was painless and didn't encounter any problems so far. Using 16gb of 8pack 3600 ram that booting with out issues, only issue i do have is the power button on case is broken so i use a screwdriver to bridge the connectors on the mobo. Was think of getting a new case and I guess i might as well now. Didn't need it on my old ch6 as it had a power button on the board.

Soldato

Yep just make sure power to usb is on under power options in BIOS, it's off by default.

Back
Top Bottom