**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S10 Family Thread ****

Associate
Same here I think a lot of battery saver things defaulted, well they did for me anyway, all app notifications were defaulted to on, my location services keep coming on when I open certain apps which I had them set not to. But overall battery doesn't last as long. Even deleted half my apps to see if that would help.

Associate
with the latest update, my s10+ battery seems to be draining much quicker...anyone else's as well ?

Yes, I've lost about an hour and a quarter of screen-on-time even after optimising everything, S10 not S10+ though.

Actually was ok-ish for the first day after the upgrade but then started dropping like a stone - 8% per hour with the screen off, 17% per hour with the screen on and that's not even gaming, just browsing and Facebook and such. Two factory resets in three days, that was a week ago, an I haven't reinstalled some of the apps I wasn't really using, it's still about an hour an a quarter SoT less than before. Battery drain overnight when the phone is obviously idle was about 4% before, now is around 6%. (Wish it was the same as my old HTC 10, that would only drain 1% overnight!)

GSAM is showing "Android System" and "Kernel (Andoird OS)" are consistenly the highest draining "apps" thought neither never even appeared before without scrolling way down the list, accounting for about 30% of the total drain between them.

Soldato
March update on mine already with UI 3.1, Samsung really have stepped up their software game over last few generations.

Also officially now 4 years of security updates for Samsung S10 series with 3 years of major updates so still have Android 12 to look forward to on these.

Soldato
March update on mine already with UI 3.1, Samsung really have stepped up their software game over last few generations.

Also officially now 4 years of security updates for Samsung S10 series with 3 years of major updates so still have Android 12 to look forward to on these.

Agreed - very happy with the fact my S10+ is being kept up to date - it's making it harder and harder to replace especially while the battery is holding up ok :D

S21 Ultra just didn't do it for me in the end. Fold 3 is next one I'm keeping an eye on or failing that will see what the S22 brings. Maybe a Pixel 6 but Google phone's always feel a bit mid-range rather than flagship!

Soldato
S21 Ultra does look good this year and Exynos seems to be a massive improvement in battery life but I'm in no rush, might be tempted if they do release a last Note this year as still miss the stylus sometimes.

Being a dinosaur, I do still want to hang on to that headphone jack for as long as I can too :D

Soldato
Headphone jack doesn't overly bother me and to some extent nor does the SD card. I've posted in other threads about it but it just doesn't offer enough (for me personally anyway) to warranty dropping £1200 on an Ultra 256GB and EE's contract prices are insane on it for some reason if going down that route - I prefer the Samsung Klara/Upgrade route though as it works out cheaper in the end.

I had a Note 4 and was really disappointed that Samsung seemed to drop support for it fairly quickly in comparison to the Galaxy S range but maybe the newer models are better for that - certainly I'd consider a Note later in the year if they bring one out with some wizzo features.

B&W

B&W

Soldato
Yes, I've lost about an hour and a quarter of screen-on-time even after optimising everything, S10 not S10+ though.

Actually was ok-ish for the first day after the upgrade but then started dropping like a stone - 8% per hour with the screen off, 17% per hour with the screen on and that's not even gaming, just browsing and Facebook and such. Two factory resets in three days, that was a week ago, an I haven't reinstalled some of the apps I wasn't really using, it's still about an hour an a quarter SoT less than before. Battery drain overnight when the phone is obviously idle was about 4% before, now is around 6%. (Wish it was the same as my old HTC 10, that would only drain 1% overnight!)

GSAM is showing "Android System" and "Kernel (Andoird OS)" are consistenly the highest draining "apps" thought neither never even appeared before without scrolling way down the list, accounting for about 30% of the total drain between them.

Same here, do like the update but battery is quite disappointing.

Is this a known problem that Samsung will address or is there some fix by disabling something?

Associate
If there's a fix I haven't found it. Haven't seen anything from Samsung saying there's any issue either so I guess this is just what to expect now. Tbh the Android System and Kernel don't show up near the top of the list now for me, but battery life hasn't improved.

Soldato
Another update, is this new software support from Samsung actually here to stay?

Also not sure which update this was, but night mode seems to have improved quite a bit recently. Got a cheap 50p mobile tripod from Tesco and can get some excellent shots with that at night.

Associate
I've had my S21 Ultra for about a week now, upgraded from a regular S10. Can't say it's a huge upgrade, there's no specific big feature that gives a reason to upgrade as there has been before. In short, screen is huge and slightly brighter than the S10, 120Hz is nice, matte finish is nicer than gloss, black is nice but I miss the green colour, cameras are slightly better in most situations, battery life is a bit better. Just an all around incrementally better phone I suppose.

Definitely wouldn't have gone for it if not for getting a good deal with voucher and stuff.

Another update, is this new software support from Samsung actually here to stay?

Also not sure which update this was, but night mode seems to have improved quite a bit recently. Got a cheap 50p mobile tripod from Tesco and can get some excellent shots with that at night.

Samsung promised 3 years of software updates from the S10 onwards I believe.

Back
Top Bottom