• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ampere RTX 3090 Owners Thread

Associate
my 3090 strix had zero whine until i put an EKWB water block on it, now its super loud like you describe
Can be: previous thermalpad would be right on the spot applying some pressure and acting as a dampener or the fans were masking the coil whine.
Mine happens on Assassin's creed, not a lot, unless I cap FPS to 60, which I won't.
On Call of Duty, no coil whine.
This week will finally install the EK active backplate which I've received Saturday.
Happy days, and possibly the end of my paranoia for lower temperatures (backplate).

Associate
It's was running smooth as silk. Now the fan is slightly off axis and is moving up and down. If you place a finger just about the outer edge you can feel it flicking. No idea what could have caused it. Bearing on the way out maybe? Warped fan with heat?

Permabanned
Many were hitting the fins out the box, partly some fins were a little bent and the fan wobble, the other fan (AVC brand) is far better in both noise and wobble or lack off.

Soldato
Just some quick pictures, it's still not all done yet I need to plug the soundcard in with a riser and mount it vertically and plug all the drives in on the sata side and add a large fan near the gpus to blow cool air over them and other things yet. I will update it when it's all done, just have it setup on the floor for now so I can atleast do my work on it and when I have a moment to finish off bits. So far working great and doing what I need it to do. Also need to tidy the cables and wipe my paw prints off the oled screen on the mobo and the cooler, stick the side panels on etc etc etc.. The light show is on just for you guys the lights are normally off and the case has no side panel you can look threw anyways.

bjah5oW.jpg
ZhKsw7h.jpg
BpplYKJ.jpg
woQ5wBS.jpg
fYosm2g.jpg
lV9L8YE.jpg

pCktSbZ.jpg

Just some pictures of it fully done now. Finally made time to actually do the mods needed to the case and get it all together. Specifications in my signiture but also added two more NVME drives 2 x Sabrent 1TB Rocket 4 Plus PCIe 4.0 Gen4, to fill all 3 NVME slots on the motherboard that are not on the Sig for now.

Sorry for the rubbish quality pictures, I turned the GPU RGB lights on to white so can actually see in the case, normally they are off. That's what a 3090 sli setup looks like with a sound card added too with a riser in a very large case the fractal define xl first gen. So lots of fun as you can imagine and added an extra fan inside to blow over the gpus and one under the lower gpu, modded the trap door to take a 140mm fan, so keeps everything nice and cool for a none water cooled setup.

lmG84MA.jpg

vFCdjXC.jpg

kbI4UrQ.jpg

UrPOyxv.jpg

Associate
Just some pictures of it fully done now. Finally made time to actually do the mods needed to the case and get it all together. Specifications in my signiture but also added two more NVME drives 2 x Sabrent 1TB Rocket 4 Plus PCIe 4.0 Gen4, to fill all 3 NVME slots on the motherboard that are not on the Sig for now.

It's ok I s'pose but it needs more all the things. ;)

Soldato
It's ok I s'pose but it needs more all the things. ;)

If you can make me a bigger case I will get more in :cry:, atleast it's done now was sick of looking at it wide open but needed it to do my work and never had enough time to finish it, it's all done now and don't want to touch the insides till next upgrade or just for dusting.

Was a fun build to do the quick build in first pics but to complete it all and tidy all the cables at the back and cut plastic and metal in the case was really not fun.
5 year+ system I promised myself and then AMD talk about maybe new 5950xt's with more cache grrr... nope nope nope not pulling all that apart again for a cpu update :cry:. That's why I added 2 more NVME to fill all slots because I know what I'm like, I will think 2 more NVME slots wasted and have to pull it all apart again..

Last edited:

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Surprised you’ve not taken out the unused drive bays to allow better airflow from the front intakes.

Assuming of course that you have intake fans at the front?

Associate
If you can make me a bigger case I will get more in :cry:, atleast it's done now was sick of looking at it wide open but needed it to do my work and never had enough time to finish it, it's all done now and don't want to touch the insides till next upgrade or just for dusting.

I know what you mean. :) I've decided to ignore mine for the next few years apart from the monthly dustbusting. Thank you small herd of cats... I'm starting to get the urge to re-animate the stuff in the shed though.

Soldato
Surprised you’ve not taken out the unused drive bays to allow better airflow from the front intakes.

Assuming of course that you have intake fans at the front?

The ones in the top bay are taken out, there was a drive bay there for 4 more drives , I used a metal plate that's for the lower drive cage to hide the akasa yellow fan from sight and direct the air over the gpus as it has really nice pressure. The front of the case has 2 x 140mm bequiet fans + a 120mm fan at top because I use a 4k bluray drive too. Then the side fan 120mm thin fan so doesnt knock on the sound card and the fan on the trap door and fan at top 180mm and a rear 140mm, a lot of fans in there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Very odd seeing spinning rust (HDD's) in a top end build. I personally can't stand the noise when they spin up and the delay when seeking. I have a HDD's in my 36TB NAS, in another area of the house where I can't hear it, and just lovely silent SSD's in my system :)

Soldato
Very odd seeing spinning rust (HDD's) in a top end build. I personally can't stand the noise when they spin up and the delay when seeking. I have a HDD's in my 36TB NAS, in another area of the house where I can't hear it, and just lovely silent SSD's in my system :)

Agree, also it's getting harder and harder now to get motherboards with lots of sata ports too, so the future is saying a NAS to me too. So far I have managed just by upgrading the drives to larger and larger for now and they need an update now really too, but prices are silly for 18TB, 16TB drives and for every drive I need 2 because one acts as a backup of the other, I'm thinking of changing them all for the largest drives available when they get to normal prices again.

The HDDs just store backups and media, game backups and work files backups, but they are all almost full and need a good clean out. But a NAS is looking like the next update for the home systems.

Last edited:

HRL

HRL

Soldato
The ones in the top bay are taken out, there was a drive bay there for 4 more drives , I used a metal plate that's for the lower drive cage to hide the akasa yellow fan from sight and direct the air over the gpus as it has really nice pressure. The front of the case has 2 x 140mm bequiet fans + a 120mm fan at top because I use a 4k bluray drive too. Then the side fan 120mm thin fan so doesnt knock on the sound card and the fan on the trap door and fan at top 180mm and a rear 140mm, a lot of fans in there.

Fair enough. :D I’ve got exhaust fans on the top too and removed everything surplus to requirements from the case. Prefer a large void as it just seems to stay cooler.

Associate
It seems my 3090FE top fan has developed an ugly wobble. Anyone else experienced this or know a fix? In the mean time I've requested an RMA. :rolleyes:

Many were hitting the fins out the box, partly some fins were a little bent and the fan wobble, the other fan (AVC brand) is far better in both noise and wobble or lack off.

Thinking mine might be on its way out, it's started making a strange noise, don't know whether it's rubbing the fins or the bearings are starting to go. I can't see any bent fins but the fan was always off center and very close to them on one side. Not sure what to do tbh but I'm glad I didn't do the thermal pads now.

Back
Top Bottom