• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
I want one but nowhere near badly enough to buy it from eBay or stay glued to stock alerts. I'll get one when I can stroll down to Argos on a quiet Sunday afternoon and pick one up without reservation. I have tons of stuff to play on PC/XBox whilst I wait. Plus it gives time for all the digital games to go down in price. :p
This. I wish I hadn't wasted hours glued to alerts when there's only a 0.00001% chance of getting one when the alert comes through anyhow.

Let the scalpers have their fun but I sure as hell am not buying from them. At some point it has to stop being profitable to scalp these things. Might be a while, tho.

From your posts in the GPU forum, I thought you'd given up on PC gaming for the time being. Or at least given up on finding a decent graphics card.
Will just have to work through the older games on my Steam + GOG backlog :p Given up on current gen, for sure. Mid-range PC GPUs are £800+ (what a joke).

Last edited:
Soldato
I got the black one I have to say, it looks really plain in real life. Just looks like a PS4 controller but without the colours on the buttons. The white one really gets its look from the two-tone

That's a shame. And also it would be a great opportunity to release official matching cooling fins in black / red. Where are they? Come on Sony, poor show!!!

Soldato
Yeah the XBox is for sure a nice piece of kit, but I think the PS5 is better if you already have a PC. MS will release all its XBox games for PC anyhow.

Pretty much why I only got an S xbox side, and a PS5 sony side, I mostly got the S to play xbox 360 exclusives I liked, and to double dip trophies on games that also make it on the xbox.

Soldato
After having used the console for a while and some experimentation I have some more thoughts, these thoughts ultimately lead to a conclusion I think sony needs to do some work on their features.

So as we know sony have decided to not support 1440p, however it seems also they no longer support forced supersampling.

On my PS4 pro, if the output is set to 1080p, a option appears in the menu to turn on/off supersampling, on the PS5 this option no longer exists, I googled and most people seem to have assumed sony did what they thought was right and just silently enable it.

I tested on FF7 remake and FF7 remake intergrade, knowing that this game will render at 1080p in 1080p mode.

On the PS4 pro and PS5, in 1080p mode it renders at 1080p, both the same.
On the PS4 pro if you enable supersampling it looks a lot better and isnt much worse than 4k mode.
On both PS4 pro and PS5 if you enable 4k mode, the game renders at higher resolution natively and in the case of my monitor its downscaled to 1440p. (note you can only do this if the display been used tells the console it supports 4k)

So there is a feature regression, some have claimed/reported in certain games if you force resolution mode it will enable supersampling when output is set to 1080p, I dont have any such games to test this on although FF7 intergrade does have a graphics/performance mode, and that is set to graphics, this is a internal option on the game though not in the PS5 game menu.

Next up is the colours. If I load FF7 Remake on my ps4 pro the colours look ok not too over powering, I do have a wide colour gamut screen, on the PS5 it feels like the mapping is different and I get strong colours that seem like they glowing, since the PS5 isnt like a pc where you can tune gamma etc. I solved it by forcing sRGB mode on the monitor. Deep colours are disabled in settings.

I registered for the beta testing although not sure how they would have my details as form doesnt ask for it, and hope they expand their display options in future firmwares.

Also some feedback on sleep mode, I have external storage attached and not had any problems, its been more reliable than the instant on mode on my Series S.

Finally the controller, I think this is a high quality controller, no weird noises, no sticky buttons, no double registers, and its quiet not noisy like the new xbox controllers. However sadly its not a 10/10, although the share and options button are now slightly more raised, they still feel way too hard to press, it feels for some reason sony have made these two buttons more difficult to press deliberately, they are tiny and with high resistance.

Just found this very interesting thread on another forum about the loss of forced Super Sampling and broken colour mapping, the forum has digital foundry staff as members who have apparently been ignoring it.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...fer-forced-supersampling.334595/post-52738157

Last edited:
Soldato
So do we still have a lot of people on here that still haven’t managed to grab one? :)
Depends how you define 'haven't managed to grab one'.

I haven't because I can't be bothered to race to order one when stock drops somewhere, i'll just wait until you can simply buy one at your leisure like a normal product.

Soldato
So do we still have a lot of people on here that still haven’t managed to grab one? :)
First time I actually tried was last week and the argos regional drops.took about an hour of refreshing the site and discord channel and got one just fine.

Not saying they are easy to get but I was able to do it with little effort so supply must be getting much better now.

Caporegime
Depends how you define 'haven't managed to grab one'.

I haven't because I can't be bothered to race to order one when stock drops somewhere, i'll just wait until you can simply buy one at your leisure like a normal product.

Same, I haven't stayed up, I am not on discord, i don't check twitter. I just look at this forum. If someone mentions it and i click the link. If i can add to basket and check out, I will. Just happens that the couple of times i tried that, the site crashed.

I tried walking into a shop to ask, when i did that, i came out with a Series X lol.

Soldato
Has anyone got the PS5 Pulse Headset and found their padding is coming away on each of the head phones? Mine is coming away and seems quite difficult to place it back :-/ Seems like a thin layer to wrap back in around the plastic

Soldato
Has anyone got the PS5 Pulse Headset and found their padding is coming away on each of the head phones? Mine is coming away and seems quite difficult to place it back :-/ Seems like a thin layer to wrap back in around the plastic
Do you mean the inner padding, as in the small oval piece of foam like material?

If so, then yes, my lad’s set has done this, although I think it’s a result of flipping one side off his ear to hear me!

I sorted it by taking off the ear cup, which just unclips by squeezing it. I then got some strong double sided 3M VHB tape and taped it back down again. It hasn’t moved since.

The tape I used was 3M VHB 4914 from eBay.

Soldato
Do you mean the inner padding, as in the small oval piece of foam like material?

[Stock image alert] :p This is the material that is coming away, its on both sides and I'm not sure how it has started to come out, I am guessing just general use but I don't use them that often. I'll try and get an actual picture of mine later

ANpbGh4.png

Soldato
[Stock image alert] :p This is the material that is coming away, its on both sides and I'm not sure how it has started to come out, I am guessing just general use but I don't use them that often. I'll try and get an actual picture of mine later
ANpbGh4.png
Ah, that’s not the part I was thinking of. Those cups do come off though by squeezing them, which would make repairing it a lot easier.

Soldato
I'm avoiding Returnal at the moment. Game looks fantastic, new IP....do want to give it a go.
I just cannot give it the time required, what with the lack of saving.
There is rumour that the ability to save might be added to the game in the future and I think in all honesty that is when I'll jump in.

Back
Top Bottom