LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Associate
I found this incredible helpful as side by side comparison. Makes me want to get a C1, right now. But i'm in 2 minds as to do i wait till sales at the end of the year or do i just dive right in now, to be honest i may only save £100, as it's this years model.

Associate
So what's the downside to using a TV as a monitor? Is the response time significantly worse when compared to a high end gaming monitor? take it there's no overdrive etc.

Associate
I found this incredible helpful as side by side comparison. Makes me want to get a C1, right now. But i'm in 2 minds as to do i wait till sales at the end of the year or do i just dive right in now, to be honest i may only save £100, as it's this years model.

CX and C1 same panel so i wouldn't bother...unless they're side by side you'll never know the difference in real life use. G1 panels and above are their 2nd generation panels which go brighter. This is far more noticeable, esp in rooms that get lots of light, so if you're struggling in daylight, that would be a reason to upgrade(for me)
And if you want the brightess, you need the Sony A90J which uses LG's new panel also, but tweaked by Sony

Associate
So what's the downside to using a TV as a monitor? Is the response time significantly worse when compared to a high end gaming monitor? take it there's no overdrive etc.

TV's typically focus on image processing tech which results in noticeable input lag on most TV's. You are also correct in that there will be no overdrive options at all, you get what your given!

A lot more of the mid range models and above from the bigger manufacturers are being specced with game specific modes which dial back the processing and significantly improve the input lag issues.

I have been on the hunt for a new monitor for some time now. My "Goldilocks" size is 40" but there are very few 4K TV's or monitors in that size and what is available only have 60hz panels with no VRR. Moving up to 43" there is only one TV model that I'm aware of that comes with a 100hz panel and that does not have VRR support like the 48" LG OLED's or some of the higher spec LCD's which are only available in 49" or bigger. To make matters worse its from Sony's 2020 XH range which is now discontinued.

Associate
But the bullet and ordered the 48cx for the office and will move the 49Nano into the kitchen for the kids PS5. Looking forward to get some proper HDR as the local area dimming of the Nano just wasn’t up to the job. Has anyone got any good settings ?

Associate

I have been on the hunt for a new monitor for some time now. My "Goldilocks" size is 40" but there are very few 4K TV's or monitors in that size and what is available only have 60hz panels with no VRR. Moving up to 43" there is only one TV model that I'm aware of that comes with a 100hz panel and that does not have VRR support like the 48" LG OLED's or some of the higher spec LCD's which are only available in 49" or bigger. To make matters worse its from Sony's 2020 XH range which is now discontinued.

There are a few panels at 43in 4K 144hz on Amazon from Asus. But when you consider what your paying for, almost 1k or more. You can get the oled 48in from lg, cx or c1 series, which from what I can gather is more than worth it.

Associate
There are a few panels at 43in 4K 144hz on Amazon from Asus. But when you consider what your paying for, almost 1k or more. You can get the oled 48in from lg, cx or c1 series, which from what I can gather is more than worth it.

There's two things I'm having a hard time justifying

First is the size of the 48" OLED, I've had a look at them up close and as great as the picture quality is, its simply too big for my setup given i'm going to be sat barely 3ft from it.

The second, as you mentioned, is the cost of the 43" panels. The ASUS ones are all non starters anyway as they have BGR panels which messes up text clarity and seeing as it will be pulling double duty with my day job it has to get that right. The Aorus panel looks to be the best bet (havent been able to confirm if it is also BGR). Paying the fat end of £1k+ is a hard pill to swallow compared to the OLED's.

Associate
It's being tested on CX now, LG are claiming.

"The Dolby Vision feature is currently in testing and LG is working closely with its partners to support functionality (including 4K @120Hz) on its 2021 OLEDs soon",

No mention of CX range.

First is the size of the 48" OLED, I've had a look at them up close and as great as the picture quality is, its simply too big for my setup given i'm going to be sat barely 3ft from it.

That's the best way to game today when you sit far back, not to sit face pressing to the monitor old LCD days

Last edited:
Soldato
I've turned it off on my 48" C1, it converts all HDR content to Dolby Vision and looks horrible, all dingy and yellow, Cold War in particular. I'm sure once something turns up that natively supports Dolby Vision it'll be worth using.

Associate
That's the best way to game today when you sit far back, not to sit face pressing to the monitor old LCD days

Wish I had more space to "go big". If my housing situation changes so that I can seperate my work and play setups then it may be plausible but thats a long so for now I have to find the best compromise.

Back
Top Bottom