Microsoft Flight Simulator

Associate
Played for an hour on my Series X last night and it far exceeded my expectations, smooth and the graphics are well, stunning. I have not bothered with the real-time map pack yet. I just dived in and flew around Naples, sat there thinking that I never thought a flight sim would work on a console, but it does!

I found the controller better than I envisaged. I play a lot of PC driving sims with an Xbox pad so I am used to super sensitive. I found the controls intuitive, right stick for free look and then press A to select the control when in cockpit view. I bought one of those Thrustmaster Hotas about 3 years ago and just read its compatible. Its stored away somewhere so a job for the weekend to try and find where I stashed it!

Super chillout game and I can see it being a decent time sink. @Raymond Lin mentioned earlier it makes the Xbox worth it - I agree and couldn't be happier.

Soldato
Played for an hour on my Series X last night and it far exceeded my expectations, smooth and the graphics are well, stunning. I have not bothered with the real-time map pack yet. I just dived in and flew around Naples, sat there thinking that I never thought a flight sim would work on a console, but it does!

I found the controller better than I envisaged. I play a lot of PC driving sims with an Xbox pad so I am used to super sensitive. I found the controls intuitive, right stick for free look and then press A to select the control when in cockpit view. I bought one of those Thrustmaster Hotas about 3 years ago and just read its compatible. Its stored away somewhere so a job for the weekend to try and find where I stashed it!

Super chillout game and I can see it being a decent time sink. @Raymond Lin mentioned earlier it makes the Xbox worth it - I agree and couldn't be happier.

What’s the real time map pack?

Soldato
The world updates downloaded much faster tonight, once I let my console go into idle mode I saw up to 335Mb download. I've now got everything installed :)

Associate
This is far from smooth. Flying from the cockpit or from the behind view is fine going forwards, or even turning the plane. But as soon as you pan the camera this is far from smooth, even with VRR. Running on the X as well.

Last edited:
Associate
Had a play last night and spent a bit more time on it today. Thoroughly impressed, looks stunningly beautiful on Series X with 4k and HDR and runs well enough as far as my eyes can tell.

Soldato
Did some night flying in a Cessna over London, looks amazing, a little stutter now and again when panning round at the views but nothing to bad, overall it’s quite smooth.

I’m sure any issues will get ironed out.

Anyway the first game I can really say is a next gen experience finally for series x.

It’s also relatively easy playing on the Xbox pad.

Associate
Very positive reception from Digital Foundry, the Series X version is remarkably close to PC's ultra settings! Sony fanboys are experiencing the five stages of grief. I've seen people discrediting the score on Metacritic because it's higher than Ratchet & Clank, and someone went to the trouble of photoshopping a mediocre score, which is doing the rounds on Twitter! Others are suggesting it could be ported to the PS5, since MLB The Show 21 is on Xbox. It's hilarious!

Associate
Very positive reception from Digital Foundry, the Series X version is remarkably close to PC's ultra settings! Sony fanboys are experiencing the five stages of grief. I've seen people discrediting the score on Metacritic because it's higher than Ratchet & Clank, and someone went to the trouble of photoshopping a mediocre score, which is doing the rounds on Twitter! Others are suggesting it could be ported to the PS5, since MLB The Show 21 is on Xbox. It's hilarious!

Don't forget the PS fans arguing that it's not a real game.

Soldato
I don't think this thread needs to turn into some silly console war.
It is very pretty and I've spent 5hrs flying so far, but it is far from smooth at times.

I had a go of the a320 earlier, it's scary how quick it can go wrong and how quick the thing can fall out of the sky!

Caporegime
I don't think this thread needs to turn into some silly console war.
It is very pretty and I've spent 5hrs flying so far, but it is far from smooth at times.

I had a go of the a320 earlier, it's scary how quick it can go wrong and how quick the thing can fall out of the sky!
If you want to fly that, check out 320simpilots videos on YouTube. Hes a real airbus pilot and has a series on flying the plane. He uses the FBW mod on PC, but a lot will translate to the default aircraft.

Caporegime
Okay….I see how this game works, I mean in a monetary sense. Some reason I thought only planes are DLC but it seems even some countries are too, some are not even mapped as well, like Seoul, it’s missing the tallest building in Seoul (Lotte Tower) and a landmark call Seoul Tower which are on all the post cards.

Some countries you can buy a Mesh? Whatever that is? Like NZ and Switzerland. Is that a term for more detailed texture?

Airports too can be bought, wish Singapore would be free. Guess if you are into this massively you would get it.

Can you still take off from airports that you haven’t bought?

Also, where is the invert Y axis option? I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Last edited:
Associate
Okay….I see how this game works, I mean in a monetary sense. Some reason I thought only planes are DLC but it seems even some countries are too, some are not even mapped as well, like Seoul, it’s missing the tallest building in Seoul (Lotte Tower) and a landmark call Seoul Tower which are okay all the post cards.

Some countries you can buy a Mesh? Whatever that is? Like NZ and Switzerland. Is that a term for more detailed texture?

Airports too can be bought, wish Singapore would be free. Guess if you are into this massively you would get it.

Can you still take off from airports that you haven’t bought?

Also, where is the invert Y axis option? I can’t seem to find it anywhere.
They will eventually get to doing more photogrammetry around the world, it's in the road map. For the first year we had some really good world updates, including the UK, Japan, USA and the nordics, with more to follow this year.

The mesh is more accurate land features, so some mountains are a little too flat or round, the mesh will make them more realistic.

I downloaded Utah a few months ago, and although it looked incredible, it was a system killer, be interesting to see how it performs with update 5 now.

You can take off from any airport, you won't be locked out.

The only dlc I bought was the orbx London pack in the first week, and I regretted it as they released the UK update, so I won't be buying anything else, as they will update the rest of the world at some point.

Caporegime
They will eventually get to doing more photogrammetry around the world, it's in the road map. For the first year we had some really good world updates, including the UK, Japan, USA and the nordics, with more to follow this year.

The mesh is more accurate land features, so some mountains are a little too flat or round, the mesh will make them more realistic.

I downloaded Utah a few months ago, and although it looked incredible, it was a system killer, be interesting to see how it performs with update 5 now.

You can take off from any airport, you won't be locked out.

The only dlc I bought was the orbx London pack in the first week, and I regretted it as they released the UK update, so I won't be buying anything else, as they will update the rest of the world at some point.

Yeah, I don't think I will be buying any country packs anytime soon. You spend most of the time in the sky anyway, the airport to me isn't that important. I am more interested in landmarks at cities than anything else.

Soldato
Itching to get a Series X but unsure whether to sell my PS5 to fund it or save up in the meantime. If when I get a Series X I'll also want a compatible stick, yoke, keyboard and mouse. Do we have a list of compatible sticks and yokes?

Associate
Quick question for my son he’s nearly out of room on his Xbox x hard drive . He said he tried to instal this but didn’t have the option to install it on his external ssd drive .

Is it possible to do that ?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom