Lenovo Legion 5 Pro

Soldato
Does anyone know if the M.2 slots on the 5 Pro are PCIE 3.0 or 4.0? The SKHynix SSDs in mine are definitely PCIE 3.0 so I wondered if anything could be gained by swapping them out for, say, WD SN850s. I know it won't be a huge gain in real-world terms but that's not the point.....

Also, does anyone know which M.2 slot is which? The downloaded maintenance manual doesn't say.

Associate
Ordered a Legion 5 pro with 3070 on 21st July, it's saying expected delivery 9th December! Wonder if it will change to 2 to 3 weeks now....here's hoping

Caporegime
Does anyone know if the M.2 slots on the 5 Pro are PCIE 3.0 or 4.0? The SKHynix SSDs in mine are definitely PCIE 3.0 so I wondered if anything could be gained by swapping them out for, say, WD SN850s. I know it won't be a huge gain in real-world terms but that's not the point.....

Also, does anyone know which M.2 slot is which? The downloaded maintenance manual doesn't say.

The latest mobile AMD range doesn't support PCI-E 4 so you're fine as you are.

Associate
Has anyone got any advice on a dock for the Legion 5 (non Pro) please? I've been trying to use a Dell D6000 but it's riddled with issues (limited to low refresh rate, doesn't charge etc).
I suspect a lot of it is down to power.
I use it to connect to my main monitor for work so need it to pass along ethernet connection and it needs Display Port capability too (Thunderbolt is no good as the non-Pro version doesn't have it).
Cheers :)

Man of Honour
So I upgraded mine with 32GB of Crucial Ballistix 3200 ram, but made the schoolboy mistake of not factoring in the ability to enable XMP. So the ram is currently running at 1332Mhz/2667.

How much difference will this be making? Have I made it worse than with the stock ram or will the tighter timings make up for it? The timings are showing as 19-19-19-43 but must admit to being a little confused.

Should I just reorder a new kit or is it not really worth it?
So does the laptop not allow memory xmp? How do others upgrade the ram and get the full 3200mhz?

Or is it just the brand/model you bought?

Man of Honour
Well, just ordered the Legion 5 Pro 16 :cool:

Got the 5800H/3070/16GB/512GB in the white colour with 10% off, so £1250 all in!

Edit: Quidco just tracked as well, that's another £42.42 off if it pays out!

Used the 9 months interest free option just in case of any issues with delivery etc, rather than using PayPal. Anyone here use this option with the long delivery times with Lenovo, do they start payments after delivery or before?

Can't wait! It better be as good as everyone says it is lol :D

Associate
Well my 5 Pro had network connection problems form new but after only 3 weeks it became impossible to use it, my 7yr old Dell laptop and desktop on the same router working without any problems.

Having taken out a Premier Care support package, next working day home repair, I thought that at least it will be sorted quickly.

It took 3 weeks for them to fit a replacement WiFi card and it still has the same problem. Incidentally, the engineers work for IBM a Lenovo subsidiary and they are not allowed to enter your property so any parts require have to be sent to you they then come and pick up part and laptop and return it the same/next day. However, in my case they took 3 weeks to organise that so much for the next working day service.

However, I am left with a laptop I can't use as the Wi Fi connection keeps dropping out. Premier Care are now just offering to take my laptop away for 7/10days, so much for next working day home service. Had just 3 weeks sporadic use with network constantly dropping out and now another 4 with Premiere Care clearly unable to resolve the problem.

Has anybody else had this problem or knows what the cause is?

It would appear too not be an isolated incident as I found this on another site:

My legion 5 pro purchase has gone from bad to worse. Wifi stopped working after a month. Premium support changed the WiFi card , no luck. Eveb after changing the Motherboard, the WiFi was not working. I had to send the laptop to their depot and again they have ordered for WiFi adapter. It is still in their depot. Nightmare.

Associate
Well my 5 Pro had network connection problems form new but after only 3 weeks it became impossible to use it, my 7yr old Dell laptop and desktop on the same router working without any problems.

Having taken out a Premier Care support package, next working day home repair, I thought that at least it will be sorted quickly.

It took 3 weeks for them to fit a replacement WiFi card and it still has the same problem. Incidentally, the engineers work for IBM a Lenovo subsidiary and they are not allowed to enter your property so any parts require have to be sent to you they then come and pick up part and laptop and return it the same/next day. However, in my case they took 3 weeks to organise that so much for the next working day service.

However, I am left with a laptop I can't use as the Wi Fi connection keeps dropping out. Premier Care are now just offering to take my laptop away for 7/10days, so much for next working day home service. Had just 3 weeks sporadic use with network constantly dropping out and now another 4 with Premiere Care clearly unable to resolve the problem.

It would appear too not be an isolated incident as I found this on another site:

My legion 5 pro purchase has gone from bad to worse. Wifi stopped working after a month. Premium support changed the WiFi card , no luck. Eveb after changing the Motherboard, the WiFi was not working. I had to send the laptop to their depot and again they have ordered for WiFi adapter. It is still in their depot. Nightmare.
Sounds horrible :eek: hopefully it's a small minority of laptops with this issue... wishing you luck

Associate
So I have been looking at the Legion 5 R7 version as well as the HP Omen. Leaning towards the Legion as I have always had Lenovo's in the past. Question is - I can get a 5pro on lenovo site with a R7 5800H, 32gb ram and 3060 for £1249, or I can get it from another well known selling site and they have a non pro 5 but with the same CPU, 16GB ram and a 3070 for £50 ish more. The only other difference is that the pro has a better screen resolution and that seems to be it. This is going to be my main machine as I am going to get rid of my desktop PC. Any reason why I shouldn't just go for lesser ram version but with the 3070, or is there something that I am missing off the Pro version which will make it better in the long run??

Associate

Was this with a Intel wifi card or realtek?

Back
Top Bottom