Summer Transfer Window 2021/2022

Permabanned
I think Varane and Sancho (even individually) for us are much better signings than Grealish for City. Depends on how things play out, of course... but I don't think he'll add that much to them.

Kane would though.

For sure. He's a fantastic player that's still maturing but if he think's he's going to see much play time this season he's kidding himself.

Caporegime
Adam your defeatist mentality never ceases to amaze me. Haven't Utd just spent £100m+ in the last few weeks themselves? You seem to think that unless Utd are spending double the amount of everybody else then it's not fair and that we should all just give up and hand City all the titles. Thankfully not everybody shares your view or else Chelsea wouldn't have beat them in the CL final (and FA Cup), nor would we have beat them to the League the season before last or knocked them out the CL.

When Utd went out and signed Veron & Van Nistelrooy and Chelsea signed Sheva & Ballack we heard the same things about how everybody should just give up because nobody could compete but both times things never worked out that way. Maybe Kane will be the missing part of the puzzle for City (lets not forget they had Aguero for the previous 10 years and couldn't win a CL) or maybe, like Veron at Utd, fitting him into the City side isn't as easy as you think. Maybe Grealish will kick on even more and become a superstar or maybe the extra fame and £200k per week will go to his head and he'll make more headlines for getting drunk and passing out in the street or crashing his car on the way home from a party.

There's enough very good players available for other clubs to build squads that can challenge City's, certainly if you're spending as much as Utd are.

It is not defeatist it is realism. Those early to mid 00's were utterly boring to me as a United fan. I hardly watched a league game as the title was pretty much a dead cert even the spell Jose had I knew it would return once United got their feet again and I only tuned in for champions league it became boring to watch as United fan. I actually watch a lot more now than I did back then because the competition is there for the teams 2-6th but all I see from City is them walking off to the distance.

It was never a bother before because they are a small time club with a lot of money but now they are getting the success of all that money pumped in and are slowly building up trophies that is attracting players to the club. Also do not tell me United have spent a lot. City have outspent everyone by some considerable margin since 2008.

Soldato
It was never a bother before because they are a small time club with a lot of money but now they are getting the success of all that money pumped in and are slowly building up trophies that is attracting players to the club. Also do not tell me United have spent a lot. City have outspent everyone by some considerable margin since 2008.

You say this a lot but it's just not true. United have spent very similar amounts to City for the last decade, based on the last 10 years (so a little more recent than 2008). City are only ahead of United by a pretty small margin. They've just done a lot better with it.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...-net-spent-per-trophy-over-the-last-10-years/

I also wouldn't say it's been a one horse race and adding a Grealish or a Kane isn't going to turn it into one. There will always be more teams fighting for a title, it's more competitive now than when united were winning doubles year in year out.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Surely city have enough players to move on to offset a large payout this summer? Mendy? Sterling was rumoured to be off before euros etc.

If they wanted to sell them they probably could make a fair bit. I don't know who they would move on for serious money though. Who would buy them? I doubt there are that many takers for the likes of Sterling at the price City would want.

Don
It is not defeatist it is realism......Also do not tell me United have spent a lot. City have outspent everyone by some considerable margin since 2008.
The problem with your first sentence is you really believe the latter sentences, despite them simply not being true. It's not a secret, both clubs accounts are out there to see for yourself - Utd have been spending very similar amounts to City over that period, they've just spent poorly.

Soldato
Do love the "I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist" response people throw out as if it's fact.

Adam - It's not reality that city have won the 21/22 premier league or any other competition. Therefore you are by definition being pessimistic. You can talk about the reality next summer but even then you seem to play liberty with a lot of 'facts' as others have pointed out.

United have spent well but poorly and performed as such by comparison to their competition (Liverpool and City).

Soldato
If they wanted to sell them they probably could make a fair bit. I don't know who they would move on for serious money though. Who would buy them? I doubt there are that many takers for the likes of Sterling at the price City would want.

Sterling only has a couple of years left so I reckon they would let him go for a more reasonable sum. The issue for me would be his 300k wage

Associate
Still think its an odd signing for City but money isn't really a concern so even if he wins them another 2pts in a season thats worth it for them. Could be the difference between a title and a 2nd place finish as well. Kane makes far more sense for them but they are probably buying both!

It won't be for the premier league, it'll be for the champions league they want so much. That loss to chelsea would have stung deep.

I think Varane and Sancho (even individually) for us are much better signings than Grealish for City. Depends on how things play out, of course... but I don't think he'll add that much to them.

Kane would though.

Another sicknote defender to go along with Lindelof, Bailly and Jones? And another Kagawa/Mkihitaryan (or however you spell his name, cba looking it up) who was great in the german league but untested in the premier league? Can't wait for Sancho to run into a wall of ten defenders like Greenwood, Martial and Rashford do then for Ole to bring on subs in the 89th minute hoping it changes something.

If City get Kane and Grealish, they will once again show United for being the rank amateurs we are when it comes to transfers and running of the club.

Soldato
It won't be for the premier league, it'll be for the champions league they want so much. That loss to chelsea would have stung deep.

Another sicknote defender to go along with Lindelof, Bailly and Jones? And another Kagawa/Mkihitaryan (or however you spell his name, cba looking it up) who was great in the german league but untested in the premier league? Can't wait for Sancho to run into a wall of ten defenders like Greenwood, Martial and Rashford do then for Ole to bring on subs in the 89th minute hoping it changes something.

If City get Kane and Grealish, they will once again show United for being the rank amateurs we are when it comes to transfers and running of the club.
Wow and I thought I had my negative moments about us :D:cry:

Man of Honour
It's gutting that we're making great progress as a club, the toxic boardroom has changed, we have money to spend and the boyhood club he loved.. I'd not begrudge a move but I ******* hate City.

And to move to a club that by his own inferred words over several years, he dislikes, I guess though its a case of if you cant beat them , join them. He is guaranteed trophies there after all , regardless of what he might think of them.

Caporegime
And to move to a club that by his own inferred words over several years, he dislikes, I guess though its a case of if you cant beat them , join them. He is guaranteed trophies there after all , regardless of what he might think of them.

I think the relationships they've built at England camp over the summer have swayed some of them as well. They are all very pally with one another so there's little animosity between clubs anymore.

Back
Top Bottom