• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I started mining last month then saw how profitable it is and thought yep next drop I'm getting a second FE. I didn't plan it initially either with my build. I actually wanted the 3080 originally but couldn't get it

Yeah I tried for 3080 on launch day, failed. Waited for 6800XT launch day, failed. Wife got the 3090 on her phone as I told her I couldnt source any and she ok'ed the puchase (unicorn moment). Once its wife approved there's no hesitation! Anyway all the months after have been golden for mining, I also played a few games its been a solid card.

Associate
Yeah I tried for 3080 on launch day, failed. Waited for 6800XT launch day, failed. Wife got the 3090 on her phone as I told her I couldnt source any and she ok'ed the puchase (unicorn moment). Once its wife approved there's no hesitation! Anyway all the months after have been golden for mining, I also played a few games its been a solid card.

The FE is without any doubt the best gpu I've ever seen Samsung did a really good job at showing up all the AIBs. I look at other graphics cards now and they look like cheap 2nd hand tracksuits Where as the FE is like a tailor made suit.

When doing the thermal pad mod I got a good look at the pcb every weld is a peice of art so perfect the feel of everything just oozed with quality production. Samsung entering the space has brought things up to a whole new level

Associate
Good to see another 3080 drop today then. Most people must have their hands on one of the 30 series cards, interested to see if these AIB LHR flavours are being shunned as they are high in price and thus too far for people to commit.
You say that but they still go out of stock within minutes, during the work day - if an FE drop stays up for a day, then it's time to consider those that really want one, have one.

Associate
3070ti in stock on a competitors website, but at £330 more than the price shown for the same product on the NVidia FE website (link works when you click buy now, but no option to buy when it loads, but if you search the competitors website it's in stock but at 860 quid rather than 530 quid).

Would have bitten at the original price, but definitely not at 860.

Soldato
You say that but they still go out of stock within minutes, during the work day - if an FE drop stays up for a day, then it's time to consider those that really want one, have one.

Likely, but there are more drops lately and variety (Ti's added) so instead of just 3070/80 drops we now have six choices to get one of these cards. On the same context as your 'those that really want one', you also have to apply the fact that most systems especially for 1080p dont really need a 3080 and could do as well with a 3070 for example.

Associate
Likely, but there are more drops lately and variety (Ti's added) so instead of just 3070/80 drops we now have six choices to get one of these cards. On the same context as your 'those that really want one', you also have to apply the fact that most systems especially for 1080p dont really need a 3080 and could do as well with a 3070 for example.

Oh 100% agree the stock is coming in faster and faster so imo another 2-4 weeks and nearly everyone should be 'fed', but it's only been this week that the huge increaes in drop rate has happened, so as they're still being yoinked so quickly, it shows that there's still a huge demand out there. Fingers crossed the supply keeps up :)

Also, each fe that sells here is another cancelled order elsewhere of an overpriced 'pre order' (i believe this because i believe most people that are grabbing fe drops within minutes are actively agressively looking for them, so they're likely to also have something on pre-order whilst waiting, just in case), which in turn will cause these other sellers to drop their non fe prices. Win, win.

Associate
Was there another drop today?

Soldato
Oh 100% agree the stock is coming in faster and faster so imo another 2-4 weeks and nearly everyone should be 'fed', but it's only been this week that the huge increaes in drop rate has happened, so as they're still being yoinked so quickly, it shows that there's still a huge demand out there. Fingers crossed the supply keeps up :)

Agreed. Was just sharing the flexibility now is way better than it was say six months ago. :)

Also your other point is there, people who double/triple order all over the place to snare a card contribute to the problem. Even if they send their one back under SoG/CCR 14 days etc. this is what was exacerbating the problem before Christmas and not helping at all.

Associate
The FE is without any doubt the best gpu I've ever seen Samsung did a really good job at showing up all the AIBs. I look at other graphics cards now and they look like cheap 2nd hand tracksuits Where as the FE is like a tailor made suit.

When doing the thermal pad mod I got a good look at the pcb every weld is a peice of art so perfect the feel of everything just oozed with quality production. Samsung entering the space has brought things up to a whole new level

Samsung made the chip and they have been making chips for years... But I haven't seen it said they made the board or assembled the card. Much more likely foxcon or some one like that. If they did make it, do you have a source?

Last edited:
Soldato
Lol

Looks tight but fits on my msi b450 tomahawk max just waiting on a PSU today to power them both unfortunately that motherboard doesn't support nvlink

So now I'm in the market for a new motherboard the msi x570 ace looks great with the gold touches that would match the 3090 if I can get it to work with the 3 slot nvlink bridge instead.

X570 godlike is over £600 and would need importing

@Th0nt

MSI X570 godlike are over £1500-2000 right now used and new stock (over 6-8 months ago you could find maybe new stock from real retailers but in USA only for around £700-750 to UK, not anymore they are £2k new now) because they are EOL and anyone selling one for £600 is either selling the engineering/preproduction samples that are faulty and when you update the BIOS they will never work right again too or just a faulty board or selling the Z490 Godlike for £600 which is the right price for them right now new and sending z490 and not a x570 Godlike.

They have a known fault the ones that were sent to reviewers and were not told they were engineering/preproduction samples, they start to fail after about 100-1000 restarts or reboots. So careful if someone offers you one for that, they are easy to spot the engineering samples as they have a test pins/port on the back of the board and have had some components changed due to the faults, the ones that were sold to customers didn't have the fault. So be aware of that as people are selling these engineering/ preproduction boards.

Videos here showing the issues and how to spot a preproduction or engineering board :-

There is another 4 slot spacing x570 coming out the asus one here but you need to make sure your case will work with it as the slots are one slot lower than the msi godlike and may not fit in some cases with psus right under the motherboard or a shelf or separator area for the psu there, my setup with 2 x 3090s and the msi x570 godlike showing if it was one slot down more the card would hit the shelf that seperates the psu part from the motherboard area https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...-owners-thread.18898762/page-48#post-34846430 :-

ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-viii-extreme-model/

^... they are saying it will be around £1000/$1000 board so not cheap too.

Last edited:
Associate
This is the annoying thing about it. You never know if you are going to be free for the 10 minutes or so you get to snag one.

I was actually at my computer and saw all the telegram alerts this week. I took too long to decide about the 3070ti and missed it. Then the 3070 came up later in the day and just went for it.

Part of me thinks I should have waited and got the 3080, as I was there for that too, but you just don't know if you will ever get the chance unless you can literally stare at your phone every minute of the day.

My phone goes beep beep so no need to stare at it :D

You can also install Telegram client on computer so you'll see the popup while you're working. Depending on IT policies but my employer is pretty laissez-faire.

Soldato
I must admit I find this situation bizarre, received my 3080 today and fitted it. It really is a magnificent piece of kit, yet its so cheap for what it is, the contrast between the fe direct market and the rest is huge.

Back
Top Bottom