• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Associate
Take it the 3080ti is not the one to buy still as it has Cooling issues?

The 3090, 3080 AIB have good cooling

As some one who owned a 3080 FE for 7-8 months and a 3080 TI FE for a couple of months, I was surprised that the temperatures were more or less the same, with the same cooler. At the end of the day it's only 10% more power draw. The main issue on them both is the VRAM, but it never got to the throttle point.

Eventually with both cards I settled on conservative undervolts which lowered them to 800-850mv while still getting slightly higher than stock score in TimeSpy. With a 1:1 fan curve they are cool and quiet now, at least on the core and the VRAM temps have dropped a few degrees.

Associate
Well, some cool air could reach the GPU, but where does hot air get out?
If I have the airflow of the 3080 Ti correct, both fans will draw in air from this front perforated grill, then one fan will blow out the rear of the GPU and the other fan into the case in a gap between my PSU and the motherboard. There is another perforated grill symmetrically on the opposite side of the case and I currently have fitted a 120mm fan here as intake, which would blow against the GPU's rear fan. I'll need to review the fans, and maybe the fan orientation on a new PSU would help.

Associate
A lot of hot air comes out through the I/O end, I had mine on the floor next to the desk whilst waiting to fit its waterblock and I could feel the heat blown out.

It was vertically mounted blowing onto the motherboard so certainly not the optimum positioning but ran fan without becoming loud.

Associate
a random question which i can't seem to find the answer to.

With anyone who has a 3080FE along with EKWB FE edition waterblock, how much do both weigh together? I've managed to source a pci bracket for what i want to do, and whilst i know the bracket can hold a 1L bottle of fluid (i tested by dangling the bottle on a string) without flexing, i need to make sure

Associate

With anyone who has a 3080FE along with EKWB FE edition waterblock, how much do both weigh together? I've managed to source a pci bracket for what i want to do, and whilst i know the bracket can hold a 1L bottle of fluid (i tested by dangling the bottle on a string) without flexing, i need to make sure

I couldn`t tell you what they weigh together but most of the weight of the FE block is the cooling, the PCB doesn`t weigh much at all. I don`t think you will have a problem with any sagging or flexing, don`t forget that they are restrained with the screws in the pci slot so the pci bracket won`t be taking the weight.
When I was planning my loop I just fitted the waterblock in the pci slot without using the pci riser and the block just sat there without any flexing or sagging.

VdJPfig.jpg

Associate
I couldn`t tell you what they weigh together but most of the weight of the FE block is the cooling, the PCB doesn`t weigh much at all. I don`t think you will have a problem with any sagging or flexing, don`t forget that they are restrained with the screws in the pci slot so the pci bracket won`t be taking the weight.
When I was planning my loop I just fitted the waterblock in the pci slot without using the pci riser and the block just sat there without any flexing or sagging.

Thanks for the info, my mistake i forgot to add, that i decided to buy a 3080 mainly due to its size and replace my current 6800xt with it (that will go in my other rig), whilst the 3080 will be suspended vertically so the pcie bracket is at the top, facing the ceiling rather than the traditional vertical bracket shown in your pic. Having the smaller 3080 gives me much better clearance than the bulky 6800xt

Associate
As some one who owned a 3080 FE for 7-8 months and a 3080 TI FE for a couple of months, I was surprised that the temperatures were more or less the same, with the same cooler. At the end of the day it's only 10% more power draw. The main issue on them both is the VRAM, but it never got to the throttle point.

Eventually with both cards I settled on conservative undervolts which lowered them to 800-850mv while still getting slightly higher than stock score in TimeSpy. With a 1:1 fan curve they are cool and quiet now, at least on the core and the VRAM temps have dropped a few degrees.
What do you have your mv curve set to bud? I have mine at 925mv @ 1900mhz and still high temps so want to lower it a bit without too much of a performance hit.

Associate
What do you have your mv curve set to bud? I have mine at 925mv @ 1900mhz and still high temps so want to lower it a bit without too much of a performance hit.

I don't remember exactly what it was on my 3080, but with my ti it is 800mv @ 1800mhz (results in 1830mhz realworld). Do a TimeSpy run at stock, then run some as you mess with the curve so you know at which point you are losing performance. Because I am at a rock solid frequency with no fluctuations my undervolt TimeSpy score is about the same or a touch higher than stock. See my comparison https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/20856846/spy/20857177# (1st is stock, 2nd is undervolt and a 1:1 fan curve)

Associate
I don't remember exactly what it was on my 3080, but with my ti it is 800mv @ 1800mhz (results in 1830mhz realworld). Do a TimeSpy run at stock, then run some as you mess with the curve so you know at which point you are losing performance. Because I am at a rock solid frequency with no fluctuations my undervolt TimeSpy score is about the same or a touch higher than stock. See my comparison https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/20856846/spy/20857177# (1st is stock, 2nd is undervolt and a 1:1 fan curve)
When you say 1:1 fan curve what do you mean sorry bud?

Soldato
I managed 875mv @ 1905 easily passes stock scores still need to test more to be sure its stable

As well as all the usual stuff - 3DMark, Heaven/Valley, games etc - give something which really taxes the ray tracing cores a try, like Quake 2 RTX. I find this makes the card react quite differently to normal benches/games as it will put maximum power draw on it and really increase the memory temps whilst quite dramatically lowering the gpu clock speed below maximum boost.

Associate
I know this card gets little love but I got my 3070ti FE this morning and I'm well pleased with it.

Undervolted it to 900mv @ 1920 and some initial tests show it's dropped about 10°C and about 80W of power with a slight gain in performance. Will be playing on it all day today to confirm stability and may play around with clocks and volts more later, but overall it's a big thumbs up.

Associate
Got my 3080 Ti FE today!
If anyone is stumped why they are getting 'Declined Order', try changing the email address.
I was declined on the previous 2 drops using my office email, I then used a Gmail account and the order went though.
No one using the office email domain has bought a 30-series card, so maybe the supplier's system doesn't like some types of email?

Soldato
Finally got my 3080 FE installed last night and the 3060 Ti went into my bro's build. He's over the moon, I'm over the moon, all good!

I ran the Neon Noir Benchmark on the 3080 FE and I don't get as good scores as the others so I will need to find out more on how to get a bit more out of it. Just for fun of course - there's so much headroom in this for my CAD applications.

Associate

I have already got mine in my system but managed to find a weight of 2.2 pounds on Amazon.com which converts to 1 kilo.

It's only a single slot bracket but as it's short so it shouldn't sag if held in by the thumbscrew tightly.

The block is great, on my Ti I pushed the power limit to 114 and added 100 on the core and it hits 2010mhz boost. I added 500 to the memory and temps are 66 degrees max on the memory hotspot, it was over 100 before.

Back
Top Bottom