• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
What I find worrying is that so late in the day they decided to totally fuse off AVX-512

It's completely obvious to me why they would have done that, HEAT. Which in itself says to me, Intel even with big and little cores is suffering from the perenial Intel problem of temps. Yes, i know AMD do as well.........my 5950x tells me that lol. But, Intel will suffer the same problem................only on a much larger scale if AVX-512 was involved as well.

Permabanned
Mmmmmmmmm, don't remember being a troll on here before. Then again...............i don't listen on a £25 FM receiver either.

If you are serious, you don't listen to analogue FM on any type of equipment.
You listen to digital CD or whatever, if DAB+ is broken for you in the UK.

But then again, it's up to your national business practices upon which you also have influence, there are national elections, letters to the regulatory institutions, complaints to the radio stations themselves, etc, etc.

Soldato
It's completely obvious to me why they would have done that, HEAT. Which in itself says to me, Intel even with big and little cores is suffering from the perenial Intel problem of temps. Yes, i know AMD do as well.........my 5950x tells me that lol. But, Intel will suffer the same problem................only on a much larger scale if AVX-512 was involved as well.

Intel is looking to its GPU to accelerate everything.

Last edited:
Associate
Leaked gigabyte docs
You might have to spoonfed me then!

Because all I've seen from the Gigabyte leaks were power supply specs for AL-S and a bit more for Zen4.

Anyway, things are vastly different in 2021 than they were in 2006.
  1. Intel lost its manufacturing lead and there's no indication they'll regain it.
  2. Ergo: manufacturing is a level playing field.
  3. ARM will licence to just about anyone. For now that means most of the big cloud players are rolling their own custom chips; smaller players might have to wait.
  4. This means a lot of very lucrative markets no longer have to buy Intel or AMD.
  5. AMD are no longer burdened by their own fabs or GF.
  6. AMD have a good roadmap and so far have executed quite well.
Of course, none of this precludes another Conroe moment (although since Intel's answer to big.LITTLE is brand new it would be even more surprising than Conroe as there was no Pentium M type advanced warning).
So never say never.
However, even if Intel were to be totally dominate x86 for the next decade the lack of hefty margins from the cloud server market are gone.
Might not be a bad thing for Intel as it stops them squandering $billions on things like contra revenue, 5G modems etc.

Soldato
OP
You might have to spoonfed me then!

Because all I've seen from the Gigabyte leaks were power supply specs for AL-S and a bit more for Zen4.

Anyway, things are vastly different in 2021 than they were in 2006.
  1. Intel lost its manufacturing lead and there's no indication they'll regain it.
  2. Ergo: manufacturing is a level playing field.
  3. ARM will licence to just about anyone. For now that means most of the big cloud players are rolling their own custom chips; smaller players might have to wait.
  4. This means a lot of very lucrative markets no longer have to buy Intel or AMD.
  5. AMD are no longer burdened by their own fabs or GF.
  6. AMD have a good roadmap and so far have executed quite well.
Of course, none of this precludes another Conroe moment (although since Intel's answer to big.LITTLE is brand new it would be even more surprising than Conroe as there was no Pentium M type advanced warning).
So never say never.
However, even if Intel were to be totally dominate x86 for the next decade the lack of hefty margins from the cloud server market are gone.
Might not be a bad thing for Intel as it stops them squandering $billions on things like contra revenue, 5G modems etc.

As far as we know, Alder Lake continues the Core lineup, hence these names you'll still see for years to come like 12900k, 13900k, 14900k etc it's a modified architecture but the Core series building blocks are there - and as such you'll still see Intel making power hungry CPUs for a few years yet.

Nova Lake is something completely different, the Core series naming structure will be replaced because it won't share anything with it. Internally Intel calls it Project Royal Core - a brand new from the ground up architecture to give Intel's its next "Zen" like break through. It's early days but MLID says at this stage Intel is targeting +100% IPC and a better power efficiency , it might be too optimistic but it's so early into the project Intel doesn't actually know hat numbers it's going to get only time will tell, the only thing we know for sure is that it's a ground up new architecture that replaces the Core series architecture Intel has been using since 2008 and is due for production in 2025

Last edited:
Associate
Internally Intel calls it Project Royal Core - a brand new from the ground up architecture to give Intel's its next "Zen" like break through. It's early days but MLID says at this stage Intel is targeting +100% IPC and a better power efficiency , it might be too optimistic but it's so early into the project Intel doesn't actually know hat numbers it's going to get only time will tell, the only thing we know for sure is that it's a ground up new architecture that replaces the Core series architecture Intel has been using since 2008 and is due for production in 2025
Sounds impressive, but from a pure risk management point of view it doesn't sound like Intel have learned anything from their overly ambitious targets they had for their manufacturing nodes.

I would have though for those kinds of thing you'd throw ideas around, try to guess how much performance they could give versus how hard they'd be to do and then each generation you pick a bunch of those ideas and implement them. This sounds like taking all of the ideas at once.

I guess IF those ideas are not interdependent it's not that risky, but still.

Associate
I think £50 less than the 5900x is about what it's worth. Overall I'd prefer the 5900x. The thing is, it needs better cooling vs similar AMD chips & consumes more power. It just feels like Intel pushed it out of it's power/ performance sweet-spot to (try)(, in lightly threaded tasks) win the bar-graph contest. The 11900k is by all accounts a worse chip overall, I would do a lot of research before considering that one. The 5950x destroys the rest of them & isn't even particularly hot or power hungry but you will pay more for the privelige. The 5800x is an interseting one, it's known to be the hottest running of the new AMD line & with a 2-core defecit vs the 10900k, I'd say it's the lesser chip, although it depends what you do. For less threaded tasks I might prefer it, but it's worth less than the 10900k imo

The 5800x is what I'd been thinking of as a mid-range price but the heat (I like a quiet workstation) and 2 fewer cores has made me stop to think. Dunno if my tasks are less threaded, I have multiple VMs running, plus Docker containers if I can't avoid them, and all VMs need CPU simultaneously. Plus software compilation/incremental recompilation and single-core-but-cpu-hogging nodejs crap, multiple Java-based IDEs running and too many Chrome tabs open. So... sort-of threaded, but I assume task scheduling will queue it nicely on fewer cores.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 5800x is what I'd been thinking of as a mid-range price but the heat (I like a quiet workstation) and 2 fewer cores has made me stop to think. Dunno if my tasks are less threaded, I have multiple VMs running, plus Docker containers if I can't avoid them, and all VMs need CPU simultaneously. Plus software compilation/incremental recompilation and single-core-but-cpu-hogging nodejs crap, multiple Java-based IDEs running and too many Chrome tabs open. So... sort-of threaded, but I assume task scheduling will queue it nicely on fewer cores.

Going on what you are running a 5950x would be far more appropriate, and tbh more cost effective in the long run as the work through put would be vastly greater!

Associate
Wouldn't AVX version compatibility be termed part of the ISA?
X6TpS5C.jpg
If the E-core (Efficient) is ISA compatible with the P-core (Performance), then they really have to fuse of the AVX-512 units!

Still, nice of Intel to reveal stuff at their own thing and at Hot Chips. AMD's deep dive had stuff of interest but nothing new AFAIK.

Permabanned
Intel Core i7-12700 Geekbenched, Matches Ryzen 7 5800X

"Intel's upcoming Core i7-12700 (non-K) processor matches AMD's Ryzen 7 5800X in the Geekbench 5 benchmark. The i7-12700 is a locked 65 W TDP processor with 8 "Golden Cove" P-cores, and 4 "Gracemont" E-cores. 4 fewer E-cores, lower clocks, and lack of features such as Thermal Velocity Boost, is what differentiates the 12th Gen Core i7 from 12th Gen Core i9.

The Core i7-12700 allegedly scored 1595 points single-thread, along with 10170 points in the multi-threaded test. This puts it within 5% of the Ryzen 7 5800X in the single-threaded test (averaged from the Geekbench database), and within 2% in the multi-threaded. One has to consider that the i7-12700 lacks an unlocked multiplier, but should Intel 600-series chipset motherboards come with the same power-limit unlocks as the 400-series and 500-series; more performance can be squeezed out."

Soldato
It sounds like it’s going to be expensive and not particularly worth adopting if anyone already has a 5800x and above system.

Soldato
OP
It sounds like it’s going to be expensive and not particularly worth adopting if anyone already has a 5800x and above system.

im possibly switching from 5950x 12900k.

main reason is system stability, ive had way too many crashes and system reboots over the last 6 months

Soldato
It's rarely worth upgrading from one gen to the next though unless going up in core count.

Will sit on my 5800X until zen 5 or w/e Intel has if it's better.

Permabanned
im possibly switching from 5950x 12900k.

main reason is system stability, ive had way too many crashes and system reboots over the last 6 months

Have you tried to update the BIOS?

Anyways, if a 65-watt Intel CPU matches the 105-watt AMD CPU, then very hard times are coming for AMD.

AMD might be screwed.

Soldato
If the leaks are true and Intel has sorted out its security vulnerabilities, it’s a step in the right direction for Intel. Although the 5700G at 65 watts would probably offer similar performance especially with a patched OS.

Soldato
Intel Core i7-12700 Geekbenched, Matches Ryzen 7 5800X

"Intel's upcoming Core i7-12700 (non-K) processor matches AMD's Ryzen 7 5800X in the Geekbench 5 benchmark. The i7-12700 is a locked 65 W TDP processor with 8 "Golden Cove" P-cores, and 4 "Gracemont" E-cores. 4 fewer E-cores, lower clocks, and lack of features such as Thermal Velocity Boost, is what differentiates the 12th Gen Core i7 from 12th Gen Core i9.

The Core i7-12700 allegedly scored 1595 points single-thread, along with 10170 points in the multi-threaded test. This puts it within 5% of the Ryzen 7 5800X in the single-threaded test (averaged from the Geekbench database), and within 2% in the multi-threaded. One has to consider that the i7-12700 lacks an unlocked multiplier, but should Intel 600-series chipset motherboards come with the same power-limit unlocks as the 400-series and 500-series; more performance can be squeezed out."
In the pic it says 8core 16 threads but shouldn't it be 8 cores 20 thread?

Soldato
OP
Have you tried to update the BIOS?

Anyways, if a 65-watt Intel CPU matches the 105-watt AMD CPU, then very hard times are coming for AMD.

AMD might be screwed.

Yep, I've tried every single bios update and chipset driver released until July 2021 for my board

Back
Top Bottom