Paddlesports (Kayaking, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddle boards)

Soldato
Yeah it comes with the Pro range too. I guess I will see how I get on with the supplied pump then. The board I borrowed to try for my son was an aquaplanet kit and I didn't like the thought of pumping up two boards with that type of pump. It would be all the workout I'd need!

That pump is head and shoulders above the ones you get with the cheap kits. My old Gladiator took ~6 mins with it, but it's still a decent workout.

You can get adaptors for 2 hoses into one board, so could always try and get your son to help even if it's only a little!

Or get an electric pump and use both that and a hand pump to speed things up properly!

Associate
Question on the waterways License through british canoeing:

We have a 3 person Kayak and I have a membership, presumably that covers the boat and my son and wife don't need a membership if I'm there?

But I will now need to get him a membership for the paddleboard as he will have his own now and I can use my existing membership for both the Kayak and Paddleboard?

Soldato
Question on the waterways License through british canoeing:

We have a 3 person Kayak and I have a membership, presumably that covers the boat and my son and wife don't need a membership if I'm there?

But I will now need to get him a membership for the paddleboard as he will have his own now and I can use my existing membership for both the Kayak and Paddleboard?

I’m not an expert but I think it’s per person rather than per “boat” when you have a paddling licence.

Not really sure about the Kayak side though. Personally I’d just take the risk of just having one licence, but that’s just me!

Associate
OP
Bit of a milestone for me this evening.

I’ll be coaching a canoe group at the canoe club I’ve been attending the past month. First time I’ve used my qualifications in anger!

EDIT: SUP inflatables have said to supper glue my fin box and use a flexible fin to see if it holds. If not, RIB repair companies are really good at sorting them and they could arrange that for me. Good tip for anyone who cracks an inflatable fin box.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Bit of a milestone for me this evening.

I’ll be coaching a canoe group at the canoe club I’ve been attending the past month. First time I’ve used my qualifications in anger!

EDIT: SUP inflatables have said to supper glue my fin box and use a flexible fin to see if it holds. If not, RIB repair companies are really good at sorting them and they could arrange that for me. Good tip for anyone who cracks an inflatable fin box.

So canoeing got cancelled due to no one taking up the offer, I am now coaching a paddle board session on Wednesday evening!

Associate
OP
Anyone getting out there?

I’m now regularly coaching canoeing and SUP at the canoe club in Liverpool. I say coaching SUP, more just getting beginners on the water and keeping them safe.

Soldato
Not too much for me, i've not been out since i was up at Windermere last month/earlier this month, i forget when.

I think i've realised that i prefer running/cycling, so will generally only go out occasionally. The issue there is obviously my ability drops and i can't do the distance/speed i'd want when i do get out. I'm off to Spain next Friday though so imagine i'll get out quite a bit, again though i'm really hoping to get up into the hills running this time i'm there and need to be mindful of how much i'm ignoring the wife each day :p

Also been debating selling my Fanatic board. I bought it as a holiday/backup board, but since holidays other than Spain are looking unlikely for quite a while and i've bought a board for in Spain too, i don't know whether it makes sense to keep it just stored in a cupboard as an "incase" scenario. I always had in mind that i could invite friends out with me and so it was handy having the second board, but in reality it's not happened in the ~12 months i've owned it.

Associate
OP
Not too much for me, i've not been out since i was up at Windermere last month/earlier this month, i forget when.

I think i've realised that i prefer running/cycling, so will generally only go out occasionally. The issue there is obviously my ability drops and i can't do the distance/speed i'd want when i do get out. I'm off to Spain next Friday though so imagine i'll get out quite a bit, again though i'm really hoping to get up into the hills running this time i'm there and need to be mindful of how much i'm ignoring the wife each day :p

Also been debating selling my Fanatic board. I bought it as a holiday/backup board, but since holidays other than Spain are looking unlikely for quite a while and i've bought a board for in Spain too, i don't know whether it makes sense to keep it just stored in a cupboard as an "incase" scenario. I always had in mind that i could invite friends out with me and so it was handy having the second board, but in reality it's not happened in the ~12 months i've owned it.

That’s a shame but, I suspect you will just dabble when the mood/conditions suit.

Which fanatic have you got? I may possibly be interested dependent on how much you was looking for it.

Soldato
Yeah, i think the issue is i've got really bored with the canal by my house, it's always full of horse flies etc and pond life so hard to get a decent paddle done, so the alternatives are either the River Lune where you can only paddle ~4 miles due to some limits on tides/weirs at the best launch point, the beach at St Annes where you need to time it right due to tides or the Lake District.

Don't get me wrong, i absolutely love being on the sea or up in the Lakes, but it's far enough away that it makes it less of a regular option. Compared to running/cycling where i can have constant variety of routes/distances from my doorstep.

I've got the 11'6 Ray Air, it's a great board and you'll notice i've recommended it a few times, however if i'm honest i think with you already having the 10'6 Gladiator, you'd see more benefit from going with a 12'6 board. Price wise, i think they're around £530 new with the paddle so would likely be after around £430 or so.

Associate
OP
Yeah, i think the issue is i've got really bored with the canal by my house, it's always full of horse flies etc and pond life so hard to get a decent paddle done, so the alternatives are either the River Lune where you can only paddle ~4 miles due to some limits on tides/weirs at the best launch point, the beach at St Annes where you need to time it right due to tides or the Lake District.

Don't get me wrong, i absolutely love being on the sea or up in the Lakes, but it's far enough away that it makes it less of a regular option. Compared to running/cycling where i can have constant variety of routes/distances from my doorstep.

I've got the 11'6 Ray Air, it's a great board and you'll notice i've recommended it a few times, however if i'm honest i think with you already having the 10'6 Gladiator, you'd see more benefit from going with a 12'6 board. Price wise, i think they're around £530 new with the paddle so would likely be after around £430 or so.

thats fair enough really! Still nice you have the kit to go whenever you want.

I think you are right. I’m looking at purchasing a 14 foot board for next year. This would have just been a nice upgrade to the Gladiator and given me the option to go with a friend.

I may be trying a 14 foot, 25 inch racing board in the next few weeks at the club. The guy who owns it keeps up with sea kayakers on it!

Associate
OP
Three things learnt this evening.

1) my fix on the Gladiator has worked. Fin stayed in!

2) touring fin helps massively with tracking and speed.

3) 12ft 6 board (30inch wide) was really good. Glide and tracking was excellent. Touring fin would have improved this even more I suspect. I’m sold!

Associate
OP
Three things learnt this evening.

1) my fix on the Gladiator has worked. Fin stayed in!

2) touring fin helps massively with tracking and speed.

3) 12ft 6 board (30inch wide) was really good. Glide and tracking was excellent. Touring fin would have improved this even more I suspect. I’m sold!

oh, and I had a go of white water board. That wasn’t fun!

Soldato
Haha i'm always amazing watching people go down rapids on a sup. Their skill levels are awesome.

I think tracking was always the main thing i noticed going from my 10'8 to a longer board. Being reasonably heavy, i never seem to find i glide much no matter what i'm on :p

Feel like i've developed a little bit of tennis elbow in my right elbow, seems to come on when i've done some longer bike rides. Not sure if it's a case of trying to up duration on that too much too soon, but hoping it doesn't persist and cause any issues paddling when i'm in Spain!

Associate
OP
Haha i'm always amazing watching people go down rapids on a sup. Their skill levels are awesome.

I think tracking was always the main thing i noticed going from my 10'8 to a longer board. Being reasonably heavy, i never seem to find i glide much no matter what i'm on :p

Feel like i've developed a little bit of tennis elbow in my right elbow, seems to come on when i've done some longer bike rides. Not sure if it's a case of trying to up duration on that too much too soon, but hoping it doesn't persist and cause any issues paddling when i'm in Spain!

I’m quite a bit heavier than you iirc (115kg). Certainly felt quicker.

I used to get that on the bike, found I was “locking” my arms out straight rather than having a slight bend in them. Is that a possibility?

Soldato
I think I’m going to get my wife to video me a bit when riding.

I feel like my elbows are bent and my wrists are nice and straight too which seems to be another cause.

I know I sometimes hunch my shoulders but that was the first few rides and caused neck ache but that’s largely gone now as I’ve loosened up.

It’s likely caused by doing 2x >2hr rides in a week after only around 2 weeks of riding in total. Especially as the second was on the Guild Wheel around Preston which has some off road parts which caused a lot of vibration.
I think I’ll just work on taking it a little slower when I return from Spain.

Soldato
First paddle on the board in Spain. Only fairly short as was a bit hungover.

Stability is great, I felt confident even as there were some small 2’ waves breaking at the shore that it rode over nicely.

Looking forward to getting out again when I feel better and hopefully the sea is a little calmer.

Associate
OP
First paddle on the board in Spain. Only fairly short as was a bit hungover.

Stability is great, I felt confident even as there were some small 2’ waves breaking at the shore that it rode over nicely.

Looking forward to getting out again when I feel better and hopefully the sea is a little calmer.

Did you buy a hard board over there in the end?

Associate
I'm after some advice on purchasing my first iSUP. I'm 5'8", 79kg. I need a board that can carry a dog (23kg), maybe some gear, maybe share with a child instead. So I'm thinking something longer and wider. I image it'll be used mostly on lakes, but I do live near the beach (Liverpool) so if it can handle some mild surf all the better. And maybe canals.

I already have a wetsuit, buoyancy aid, gloves and boots. I'll be getting a BA for the dog.

I'm happy to spend a little more to start with as I don't like to buy twice (buy cheap) but a Red board is too much. From what I've read the cheaper boards are mostly single layer anyway, so probably not suitable for a dog.

I've sort of narrowed it down to the irocker all round 11 at £782 with kayak extra and free elec pump or the Bluefin Cruise 12 at £650, which includes the kayak seat, but no elec pump.

I'm leaning towards the bluefin for its 5 year warranty.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on those boards, or suggestions for others.

Back
Top Bottom