Paddlesports (Kayaking, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddle boards)

Soldato
I think other than practicing a kind of J stroke there's not much you can do. Inflatables are quite susceptible to this as they sit above the water so can easily be blown in the wind. Add yourself as a sail and it's easy to be blown around.

I would say i probably just switch sides more than trying to fix my paddle stroke, but that's largely laziness :p

Associate
My board was delivered but it had been packaged wrong from the manufacturers - a 10'8" board in a 12' box. So it had to go back. Reordered for delivery Friday. So fingers crossed I'll be out this weekend. Just to the local marina for now. Also start training with the dog, get him used to the board and learning to stay on it! He loves the water so I expect he's going to find it hard to not be jumping in all the time.

Associate
OP
My board was delivered but it had been packaged wrong from the manufacturers - a 10'8" board in a 12' box. So it had to go back. Reordered for delivery Friday. So fingers crossed I'll be out this weekend. Just to the local marina for now. Also start training with the dog, get him used to the board and learning to stay on it! He loves the water so I expect he's going to find it hard to not be jumping in all the time.

hopefully you got out?

Associate
hopefully you got out?

Unfortunately not. I went down to the Crosby Lakeside Marina on Sunday but it was a bit windy and the Sea Cadets were out in force. So I decided discretion was the better part of valour and aborted. I didn't want to embarrass myself, first float, in windy weather, with scores of on-lookers. ☺️

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CnotZ3HVvn5ygnP76

On the plus side, I unpacked and inflated the board several times, with manual pump and an electric pump I have for my air beam tent, with my dog present. He ws sat right next to me and got on and off, and sat on, the board with zero issues.

I now trying to pursuade my son to not get his Steam Deck, but buy a paddle-board instead!

But if anyone is in/around Liverpool and fancies a trip out with a n00b, let me know!

Last edited:
Associate
So… I’m looking at the Fanatic Ray Air Pure 12.6 at £550… is there anything else I should be looking at?

A friend of mine has a couple of Fantatics and she rates them highly.

I recently subscribed to Sup Boarder Mag and Quroc came out really well in their latest tests. If I hadn't already bought the Bluefin I probably would have got the Quroc.

Associate
OP
Unfortunately not. I went down to the Crosby Lakeside Marina on Sunday but it was a bit windy and the Sea Cadets were out in force. So I decided discretion was the better part of valour and aborted. I didn't want to embarrass myself, first float, in windy weather, with scores of on-lookers. ☺️

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CnotZ3HVvn5ygnP76

On the plus side, I unpacked and inflated the board several times, with manual pump and an electric pump I have for my air beam tent, with my dog present. He ws sat right next to me and got on and off, and sat on, the board with zero issues.

I now trying to pursuade my son to not get his Steam Deck, but buy a paddle-board instead!

I didn’t realise you was so close to me. Liverpool canoe club have some sup sessions at the docks. I’m actually running a taster session on Saturday at 1 o’clock. Would need to be a member and the session is £5 but, might give you some confidence?

Associate
So… I’m looking at the Fanatic Ray Air Pure 12.6 at £550… is there anything else I should be looking at?

This one?It's £509 here....

https://supinflatables.co.uk/fanatic-ray-air-touring-12-6-inflatable-sup-paddle-board-2021.html

It was one of the ones I looked at and I phoned up Sup inflatables. They pointed me to the gladiator pro 12.6 and pushed the Shark hard. I went for the gladiator but regret not trying the shark for the fold-able fin box. I think that's a great feature as I always worry about the fold pressure on my kayaks and now paddle board around that area.

Soldato
This one?It's £509 here....

https://supinflatables.co.uk/fanatic-ray-air-touring-12-6-inflatable-sup-paddle-board-2021.html

It was one of the ones I looked at and I phoned up Sup inflatables. They pointed me to the gladiator pro 12.6 and pushed the Shark hard. I went for the gladiator but regret not trying the shark for the fold-able fin box. I think that's a great feature as I always worry about the fold pressure on my kayaks and now paddle board around that area.

The £509 is without the paddle, so increased to £550 including the paddle :)

I can't comment on the 12'6 but i'm a fan of the 11'6 version that i have (albeit that i'm selling!). The only downside is that it's only single skin so suffers a little on stiffness vs double skinned boards, although i must say i never had an issue with mine despite being on the sea in ~3ft swell which is usually a decent test.

As above, i'd consider the Gladiator Pro range. The paddle/pump would be better and should be stiffer too. Only downside would be weight vs the Fanatic but i don't think the odd kg would be a big enough factor if not using for travel.

Associate
OP
The £509 is without the paddle, so increased to £550 including the paddle :)

I can't comment on the 12'6 but i'm a fan of the 11'6 version that i have (albeit that i'm selling!). The only downside is that it's only single skin so suffers a little on stiffness vs double skinned boards, although i must say i never had an issue with mine despite being on the sea in ~3ft swell which is usually a decent test.

As above, i'd consider the Gladiator Pro range. The paddle/pump would be better and should be stiffer too. Only downside would be weight vs the Fanatic but i don't think the odd kg would be a big enough factor if not using for travel.

thanks (and to @IronSpider and @BadMojo)

I wanted to try the Fanatic as already have a gladiator but, perhaps that’s a bit of a stupid reason to get one.

Maybe I’ll just go for the 14 foot Gladiator Elite as it’s not much more in reality.

Soldato
You certainly couldn't go wrong with that. I was very impressed with mine, and got a lot of favourable comments from anyone who tried it.

You'd also get the carbon paddle and make you wonder why you hadn't got one before :p

I guess it depends if you'll keep your existing board. If you are then the 14' compliments it nicely. If you're going to move it on, then i'd go 12'6 just for a little extra versatility.

Associate
OP
You certainly couldn't go wrong with that. I was very impressed with mine, and got a lot of favourable comments from anyone who tried it.

You'd also get the carbon paddle and make you wonder why you hadn't got one before :p

I guess it depends if you'll keep your existing board. If you are then the 14' compliments it nicely. If you're going to move it on, then i'd go 12'6 just for a little extra versatility.

I’m going to keep it. Got loads of friends and family who want to give it a go and with all the coaching I’m doing, it gives me more options.

Soldato
No plans, but i tend to only make them last minute. If you want to plan something though i'll be up for it.

Looks like my Fanatic is sold. I do like the residuals of paddle boards, which is good given how often a swap and change! I can safely say i'm now done though i think. My Fatstick works perfectly for me here, especially with reduced paddling.

Have mentioned it elsewhere, but we've been discussing moving to Spain in a few years. The more we talk about it the more excited we get, with home based working being available, we could go over there with our jobs. Brexit is a pain in the bum, but my wife has an Irish ancestry to get an Irish passport so that makes it slightly easier.

Being able to regularly paddle in the sea would be ideal!

Associate
OP
Did you get the money you was after?

I can honestly say I love living in the UK. Couldn’t imagine living anywhere else.

Although, having lovely weather all the time would be nice.

Soldato
Yeah. Well hopefully. The guy was meant to collect yesterday but couldn't make it. Hopefully will come back today. I threw in a 4" river fin and electric pump as i won't need either anymore anyway.

It's a tricky one for me. I love a lot about the UK too, however the weather is the main annoyance for me. So many times i try and plan to do something, only for the rain to cancel plans. Tonight for example was supposed to be a group paddle in Southport for a big fireworks display, but the weather forecast has meant it's been cancelled. The same happened last year. Then we tend to finish work and sit on the sofa watching tv. I think in Spain we'd be more inclined to finish work and sit outside chatting or head down to the beach for an hour or two. Maybe it's a romantic thought and the reality is we'd slip into the same pattern we have now.

Plus, my wife has a chronic pain illness and always finds the sun makes a big difference to her wellbeing so that's a large factor.

I think the thing we'd miss the most would be the greenery and rolling hills we have around Lancashire. Spain can look a little barren a lot of the time.

Associate
OP
Not too bad! Hopefully he has picked it up.

I coached two sessions of introductory courses yesterday. Was really good fun and satisfying to get paddlers onto the water for the first time.

I have a British Canoeing Core Coach Training next weekend at Carr Mill Dam in St Helens. How it works is every coach attends a Core Training course and then you complete discipline specific training. So eventually, I will attend Sheltered Water Canoe and Kayak coach training and then be assessed delivering sessions.

I also intend to undertake the SUP Sheltered Water Coach training whenever one becomes available. I probably need to work on SUPs the most.

Associate
OP
So… I did Core Coach training and it was unbelievably good. Came away with a much more sophisticated approach to coaching.

I was also the Guinea pig for some SUP coaching and I managed a proper step back turn in a grade 3 wind which I was made up with! I’m definitely going to get myself on a SUP coaching course I think.

Back
Top Bottom