Paddlesports (Kayaking, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddle boards)

Soldato
I'm after some advice on purchasing my first iSUP. I'm 5'8", 79kg. I need a board that can carry a dog (23kg), maybe some gear, maybe share with a child instead. So I'm thinking something longer and wider. I image it'll be used mostly on lakes, but I do live near the beach (Liverpool) so if it can handle some mild surf all the better. And maybe canals.

I already have a wetsuit, buoyancy aid, gloves and boots. I'll be getting a BA for the dog.

I'm happy to spend a little more to start with as I don't like to buy twice (buy cheap) but a Red board is too much. From what I've read the cheaper boards are mostly single layer anyway, so probably not suitable for a dog.

I've sort of narrowed it down to the irocker all round 11 at £782 with kayak extra and free elec pump or the Bluefin Cruise 12 at £650, which includes the kayak seat, but no elec pump.

I'm leaning towards the bluefin for its 5 year warranty.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on those boards, or suggestions for others.

The Bluefin is alright but it’s a very heavy board and I didn’t think quality control was great in mine. Lots of glue stains etc.

In your position I’d be after a Gladiator Elite 12’6x30. I have heard good things about the Irocker but I’d want a little longer than 11’

Associate
Thanks for recommendation.

I've decided to go for the Bluefin due to a recent voucher offered by Amazon. The board was already cheaper than the manufacturers website at £650. But there was an additional 5% off voucher and I had £150 in amazon vouchers. So all in it cost me £466.

Fingers crossed my board is made better. I'll be thoroughly checking it.

Soldato
Thanks for recommendation.

I've decided to go for the Bluefin due to a recent voucher offered by Amazon. The board was already cheaper than the manufacturers website at £650. But there was an additional 5% off voucher and I had £150 in amazon vouchers. So all in it cost me £466.

Fingers crossed my board is made better. I'll be thoroughly checking it.

Great price.
I bought my Bluefin from Amazon too. Think it ended up around £360 and was well worth it for the price.

Associate
So what's the scoop with a licence to use waterways? A mate in work says I should get a British Canoe Club membership as it provides it. Although it's only £45pa, for a family of five it'll cost over £130pa!

Associate
OP
So what's the scoop with a licence to use waterways? A mate in work says I should get a British Canoe Club membership as it provides it. Although it's only £45pa, for a family of five it'll cost over £130pa!

I think that is the cheapest way to do it if I’m honest. Have you each got a board?

Associate
OP
So, I’ve now enrolled for British Canoeing Core Coach training in October. This will be quite a step up.

one I have done that training I will have to undertake discipline specific training (DST) which I intend to do in canoe/kayak and sheltered water sup.

can’t wait!

Soldato
This is my boat, more a river boat but still OK on still water.

20210910-155907.jpg

Associate
Water Skills Academy is slightly cheaper at £30pa. It misses some licenses down south though so you’d need to check your local options.

So there are alternatives? That's interesting . Thanks for the info.

I'm also looking into local clubs as there are a couple of marinas nesr me. Luckily, I'm on the coast as well.

Associate
1) my fix on the Gladiator has worked. Fin stayed in!

2) touring fin helps massively with tracking and speed.

Didn't the gladiator come with a touring fin anyway?

Been out a lot on our boards since buying them. Once my son went back to school the mrs came and gave it a try too. Might end up needing a 3rd board!

After a few times in a week pumping up two boards in the heat I've had enough. Got the HIKs 20psi pump and for me it's a game changer. My son was just not heavy enough to pump past 8-10 psi. I'm now no longer knackered before I get on the river.

Associate
OP
Didn't the gladiator come with a touring fin anyway?

Been out a lot on our boards since buying them. Once my son went back to school the mrs came and gave it a try too. Might end up needing a 3rd board!

After a few times in a week pumping up two boards in the heat I've had enough. Got the HIKs 20psi pump and for me it's a game changer. My son was just not heavy enough to pump past 8-10 psi. I'm now no longer knackered before I get on the river.

Nope, came with a dolphin fin shaped one.

Soldato
Nope, came with a dolphin fin shaped one.

Think the longer/higher end boards come with a touring fin. It’s quite nice to see them supply the best fin for the type of board as a lot just stick a dolphin type fin in the kit.

Cross post from the running thread, but not been much paddling for me here. Have sprained my ankle and am wrapped in bandage and hobbling enough just walking around!
Frustrating to say the least, as the weather has been great the past few days with very little wind.

Associate
I'm getting reasonable at going straight in very little wind with few paddle side changes. But going into wind I struggle to the point that sometimes I'm just twice as quick to kneel. Is this normal?

Back
Top Bottom