Does anyone bother updating their bios?

Associate
Always update when I know there is one, but don't actively look.. last update for my current board (x470) actually resulted in some improvements..!

Soldato
I updated BIOS on an ASUS a couple of nights back to be Win 11 ready and i hoped any other improvments since i was still on the original 2017 BIOS i think.

It was a big worry since to me the updating looks kinda like a PC malfunctioning and i thought i have made an error. All good in the end though.

Associate
I updated BIOS on an ASUS a couple of nights back to be Win 11 ready and i hoped any other improvments since i was still on the original 2017 BIOS i think.

It was a big worry since to me the updating looks kinda like a PC malfunctioning and i thought i have made an error. All good in the end though.

If you are going with windows 11 at some point you have flash the bios. It is not like the old days bios flashing is a lot better and safer

Associate
Hi, may i jump on this thread to ask a question on the size of the usb flash drive used to flash the bios.

I remember some time back people saying if they used a usb drive larger than 16gb the motherboard would not recognise the usb drive during the flashing process. Is this still the case today.

I am about to order a new usb drive for flashing a new motherboard but wondered if i need to keep the size down. Theres not a lot of difference in price from a 16gb or a 64gb.

You can even use an android phone as a usb boot device for a PC now. (Drivedroid app)

Associate
I almost never upgrade mine unless I have to. Normally there are a few changes I've made which are lost when updating. However, I last week upgraded mine for the first time in over 5 years to provide support for a newer processor, swapping out my trusty 6 core 5820k for an 8 core 6900k

Associate
I almost never upgrade mine unless I have to. Normally there are a few changes I've made which are lost when updating. However, I last week upgraded mine for the first time in over 5 years to provide support for a newer processor, swapping out my trusty 6 core 5820k for an 8 core 6900k
If I remember it correctly that was what one manufacturer was recomending - to not update if everything is working fine unles you need the novelties of an update.

Associate
I had a gigabyte board that wouldn't let VMware ESXi boot once, I contacted Gigabyte and they sent me a "customer" BIOS for me to upgrade to, that they had no intention of releasing. It did the trick though!

Soldato
I might bump my b450 pro 4 to bios 1.80 which is 1.0.0.6 amd version, which is said to be the best version for 2000 ryzen series. Still way from the newest bios though.

Associate
I had a gigabyte board that wouldn't let VMware ESXi boot once, I contacted Gigabyte and they sent me a "customer" BIOS for me to upgrade to, that they had no intention of releasing. It did the trick though!
That is quite a treat from them - to customize a BIOS for an individual person.

Back
Top Bottom