Damaged new car! Opinions please

Man of Honour
Damaged at the factory such as dings and scrapes yes , certainly.

Once that car is on the top deck of an HGV transporter, especially at the front, then whacking trees, bridges, buildings is far from uncommon and the car in question rarely escapes serious damage.

I remember a fair few years back looking around a line of trashed e39’s at BMW’s distribution centre, each one had come back from a delivery that had encountered a “problem”….

This is far from a rare occurrence.

Saw a BCA transporter pulling away from a We Buy Any Car place a few years back giving every vehicle on the top a good bonk on a tree branch as it left :s at least one of them was hit pretty hard.

Man of Honour
Repair companies and insurance companies always hire the lowest bidder
Not always the case, I used to work for a company that managed repair networks for dozens of insurers and there was different tiering based on repairer performance, some insurers would make different stipulations etc
When I claimed on the insurance for a car park incident I had with my old 107 it came back looking better than it did before, mind you they used a very reputable repairer and most definitely not the cheapest.
That's hardly surprising for a old car, you could have minor scratches in the same area as the new damage that get sorted as part of it. It's not really applicable here unless it came back looking better than it did brand new prior to delivery.

Caporegime
If this car is going to be marked as a CAT S or N I would recommend he absolutely, 100% refuses delivery and asks for a brand new car. That marker will follow that car for the whole of it's life making it difficult to sell, both to Traders and the general public. It could affect the value by thousands or sometimes even make it unsellable for months and months. I would absolutely, 100% NOT take delivery if the car was going to be mine.

Soldato
I wonder if the hire car offer means that the finance company intent to start, or have already started the finance agreement? I would have thought that they'd have no obligation to keep the customer mobile if they've not received the car and the contract hasn't begun.

In any case I agree with not accepting the car and demanding a new one.

Associate
OP
First of all, thank you all for the replies. There’s lots of info/advice on here which is really appreciated. I have shown him some of the comments on here in the hopes that he will at least think about the situation and what it would mean to accept this car once fixed vs requesting a new car.

I believe he is paying this through a car loan company and I did mention that it might be worth giving them a call to inform them of the situation.

Honestly, I don’t think he’s even asked to see photos of the damage. I’m a bit worried that he’s just accepted/agreed to whatever the company have said to him on the phone.

In the end, he will be the one that makes the decision. If he still wants to take the car, then he does. I just don’t want it to come back and bite him on the bum in the future if he would have to pay to fix issues that wouldn’t have been there before.

I will post an update with the outcome when it comes to it.

Thanks again to you all

Soldato
I believe he is paying this through a car loan company and I did mention that it might be worth giving them a call to inform them of the situation.

If the loan is against the car, and the damage is enough for the car to be written off, don't be surprised if they withdraw the finance offer. It will almost certainly take into account the value of the asset they can recover if he defaults (which will be lower on a written off car).

Don
Someone I used to work with rejected a brand new RS3 after he took delivery of it. Took it for a protection detail and the guy was like you know this has been resprayed?

Dealer only told him after he confronted them about what had happened. No way I would accept a new car that’s damaged repaired.

Soldato
So many assumptions being made in this obvious troll thread.

There does seem to be a load of these single posts of late with big event questions

Yea 100% posts with a slightly controversial topic, not this one so
much, aahhhhh yes, one about going on holiday but braking whatever covid rule from memory, but several.

Anyway, waffling on a bit soz been drinking, but Im convinced there is a person or group that setup accounts, and make posts like these to rile people up. I outright called one out a month or so ago, then the thread magically disappeared some time later....

@SexyGreyFox might remember, I remember sending some PMs back and forth and the thread disappeared not long after.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
WOW, this thread has certainly opened my eyes regarding dealers!! Never had the misfortune to deal with one thankfully, bar a test drive now and again of something tasty.
When I bought a 2-year-old Golf VII, the rear quarter turned out to be resprayed - the detailer mentioned it to me when I picked it up the week after purchase.
Never bothered to take it up with the dealer, but then I don't think I actually asked if it had ever been resprayed :(

It was a bit dusty when I went to view it as it had been sitting outside for a while. *****, the lot of them!

Soldato
WOW, this thread has certainly opened my eyes regarding dealers!! Never had the misfortune to deal with one thankfully, bar a test drive now and again of something tasty.

I've said a few times on here that theres a local bodyshop who repairs unregistered Audi's. It's more common than you think.

Soldato
There is no way in this universe that I would accept damaged goods after paying for new.

Nothing more dodgy than a car dealer.

If you think this thread is bad, check out Dodgy Cars on Facebook. It'll make your hair curl.

Back
Top Bottom