Energy Suppliers

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Isn't this the same sort of thing.

News to me but thanks for the link!

Getting some panels on the roof and one of them would be best long term plan if these energy hikes become the norm of 10-20% each 6 months. Dont know how they can promote switching to green/e-cars when suppliers and generators are making out like bandits!

Soldato
News to me but thanks for the link!

Getting some panels on the roof and one of them would be best long term plan if these energy hikes become the norm of 10-20% each 6 months. Dont know how they can promote switching to green/e-cars when suppliers and generators are making out like bandits!

Still cheaper than petrol, and I doubt that'll see any price drops soon!

Caporegime
So for another £2500 on top of my quote, for a hybrid inverter and 2.4kwh battery, I would save twice(ish) as much on my bill (£34 vs £77), but halve my SEG@4p/kwh (£5 instead of £10).

Not worth it

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Someone talk to me about Octopus Go. I have an EV coming at the end of the month and this seems to be the most-recommended tariff.

I am currently with OVO and I have solar panels, but as far as I can see the main difference is their off-peak rates (between 00:30-04:30 - an ideal time to charge seeing as there's no sun ;)) but all other times they're about the same or more expensive. With solar, I've learned to side with tariffs with a lower standing charge as the generation takes care of 60% of my usage and I'd rather not pay through the nose on a standing charge when I'm not using it, which is another area they're higher than my current supplier but I digress.

The question I have: when you switch they put you on an interim tariff? Their website is definitely a dumpster fire in explaining the process, given I'd have to get gas separately :confused:

Many in here are talking about their agile plan... is this worth considering with an EV or not? I haven't looked in to it. FYI I don't have any battery backup.

Soldato
How much was the hybrid inverter?

Which company did you use?

I designed the solar system myself, and paid a sparky to do the wiring and commissioning, Hybrid inverter was ~£1.1k for the 5kW version, however my array is a 6.2kWh east/west dual string, so I never see the full 6.2kW, but have seen it clip over a little on the sunnier days over the summer. Total spend for the equipment was a shade over £6.2k for the panels, battery, inverter, mounting equipment and a few other odds and ends, scaffold rental, erection and removal, and roof install and commissioning was ~£1,500. I'd never use a solar company unless I was utterly clueless about the technology.

Caporegime
I designed the solar system myself, and paid a sparky to do the wiring and commissioning, Hybrid inverter was ~£1.1k for the 5kW version, however my array is a 6.2kWh east/west dual string, so I never see the full 6.2kW, but have seen it clip over a little on the sunnier days over the summer. Total spend for the equipment was a shade over £6.2k for the panels, battery, inverter, mounting equipment and a few other odds and ends, scaffold rental, erection and removal, and roof install and commissioning was ~£1,500. I'd never use a solar company unless I was utterly clueless about the technology.
I can't find any MCS approved installers other than a local tv aerial guy.

Soldato
I'm looking on the actual mcs certified website, if they're not on there, they're not certified basically.

Is there a shortage of MCS installers in Cumbria then? I had to have my DNO out as well for a post inspection a installer check, and sign off, so we are all good. Maybe send an e-mail to MCS and find out who covers your area?

Caporegime
Is there a shortage of MCS installers in Cumbria then? I had to have my DNO out as well for a post inspection a installer check, and sign off, so we are all good. Maybe send an e-mail to MCS and find out who covers your area?
Seems like there aren't any electricians that are MCS, it seems to be only those who install renewables that bother with it.

Best quote I had from a PV installer is 4995 for a 4.1kw system over 2 roofs (South and west) with a 3.6kwh solax

Soldato
Seems like there aren't any electricians that are MCS, it seems to be only those who install renewables that bother with it.

I guess that is the issue then, my installer as I said partners up with a roofer, so does 50% of the work and the only trade does the other 50%, guess it works well. He did try to sell me a full system, but couldn't come close to meeting the prices I could buy the kit for. The sparky even did the GivEnergy seminar to become and approved installer, which was super kind of him, it was free though. :p

Best quote I had from a PV installer is 4995 for a 4.1kw system over 2 roofs with a 3.6kwh solax

Have you looked at DeeGee?

Back
Top Bottom