Car accident

Soldato
So, how do you know he wasnt on his phone etc?

I saw the guy. I spoke with him. Did you?

how do you know he was?

You weren’t even on scene when the crash happened, you came out after he crashed. The dudes claiming he had a blackout, do you think he lied? Why?

Soldato
OP
how do you know he was?

You weren’t even on scene when the crash happened, you came out after he crashed. The dudes claiming he had a blackout, do you think he lied? Why?

If someone genuinely had a blackout and crashes into several cars dont you think they would be taken to hospital for check up etc? Wouldnt you be concerned if you had a blackout of which you never had before?

I saw and spoke to the guy. He didnt look like he had just blacked out! He seemed very coy too.

Man of Honour
shock as insurance company tries to get out of claim

although I doubt your insurance would roll over and take it so all they are doing is increasing the cost for themselves so i guess that should be:

'shock as insurance company makes what should be a simple and cheap process harder and more expensive so they can justify increasing premiums'

Soldato
If someone genuinely had a blackout and crashes into several cars dont you think they would be taken to hospital for check up etc? Wouldnt you be concerned if you had a blackout of which you never had before?

I saw and spoke to the guy. He didnt look like he had just blacked out! He seemed very coy too.

I’d be very concerned, how do you know he wasn’t taken home to be given a lift by someone to a hospital?

What were you expecting, a guy walking, conscious and breathing to be air lifted on a cat 1 ambulance to the nearest ER? Have you seen ambulance response times these days?

Coy? He’s just had a car accident. Pray tell, how was he supposed to be ‘acting?’ How does someone who has just blacked out act?

I just hope that if you ever have something unfortunate happen to you, your dealt with respect and kindness by officers.

Or at the very least, who ever does deal with you, doesn’t have the stones to actually start throwing around accusations and instead just sits back and let’s what ever happened happen instead of kicking up a fuss despite them thinking some foul play had occurred despite no evidence of it.

Man of Honour
Coy? He’s just had a car accident. Pray tell, how was he supposed to be ‘acting?’ How does someone who has just blacked out act?

Same as some people far easier pick up on if someone is trying to scam them than others, for some people it is much more apparent when someone is playing coy.

Same as you get these people who are all "buddy buddy" and have an admiring throng and you are the bad person for pointing out they aren't all they seem... then the bad person all over again when people belatedly realise they've been taken in and accuse you of not doing enough to alert them...

Soldato
OP
I’d be very concerned, how do you know he wasn’t taken home to be given a lift by someone to a hospital?

What were you expecting, a guy walking, conscious and breathing to be air lifted on a cat 1 ambulance to the nearest ER? Have you seen ambulance response times these days?

I just hope that if you ever have something unfortunate happen to you, your dealt with respect and kindness by officers.

Or at the very least, who ever does deal with you, doesn’t have the stones to actually start throwing around accusations and instead just sits back and let’s what ever happened happen instead of kicking up a fuss despite them thinking some foul play had occurred despite no evidence of it.

Sorry, i didnt realise you were related to him...:rolleyes:

Associate
I must add to this, there are many different triggers of blackouts, and also different aftereffects of blackouts. Some people can "wake up" so to speak within minutes and continue as normal as though nothing had happened, others may have tiredness, shock, confusion and even anxiety. What is used by the police and paramedics to assess people on scene is called the Glasgow Coma Score (GCS), it is a largely opinion-based score from paramedics and the police, which can be used to establish if a person needs to go to hospital or not.

The likelihood of him being charged with anything such as dangerous driving could depend on if he has a history of blackouts, and with that when the last blackout occurred. If this was his first blackout, he would obviously need to surrender his licence, he would then be able to reapply in six months’ time, if he has a history of blackouts then the last blackout would have needed to be over one year ago. The DVLA would need to assess medical evidence from his doctor(s) to establish if he was a risk to others. It would therefore have been in his benefit to have gone to hospital for further tests to be conducted, and it is certainly something he would need to speak to his GP. about.

If the police establish that he has a history of blackouts within the past 6-12 months (as detailed above) then there is a good chance that he would be investigated for dangerous driving, possibly leading to him being charged with dangerous driving. I'm not sure if the others involved would be informed of charges placed upon him, especially with GDPR restrictions.

This is something I have a keen interest in and have researched and spoken with neurologists about, as an epileptic I previously surrendered my licence for the required 12 months, then 6 months ago I surrendered my licence due to a change in medication, previous medication was causing headaches which was impacting on my work/social life. I am currently waiting for the DVLA to reissue me with my driving licence as it was simply a change to medication, which hasn't triggered any seizures or blackouts. Previous seizure was back in 2015, however it always a risk that I understand and respect that one could happen completely out of the blue, this in turn motivates me to lead a balanced life, taking medications, keeping a daily/weekly routine, etc. The one caveat I will add with all this is that I have found the knowledge of paramedics, GP's and neurologists to vary significantly. Paramedics have in the past been reluctant to carry out any tests or even enter my home to make a visual assessment, pre diagnosis any paramedics who did attend simply put it down to tiredness and me falling asleep as it was shortly after waking and I was getting breakfast, a GP I spoke with purely went with what the paramedics had said in their report and wouldn't listen to my version of events, and one neurologist on several visits kept suggesting various support groups for drug/alcohol addiction rather than carrying out relevant tests or prescribe relevant medications.

Anyway, I hope that after this essay that it is something resolved quickly for you and others with damaged vehicles, and also something that the driver of the vehicle gets relevant support with. His insurance should however be responsible for all costs involved.

Associate
meanwhile back on the ranch:) didnt notice you putting what vehicle or age/model your car is? i may have missed it, but looking at the pictures you posted i would be worrying i may not get it back. especially if there is boot floor and chassis damage:(

Soldato
OP
Update:

His insurance rang me earlier to say they have done some investigating and they are accepting liability.

My car is in the repair place now and i have a courtesy car. Got to see what they decide regarding repairs to mine...

Caporegime
I dont disagree with you at all. I just believe my insurance will go up yet again even though this accident was no fault of my own.

Correct. Just being in an accident, even when its not your fault, puts your insurance up. I had a car flattened by a fuel tanker sat on top of it while I was asleep in bed. Got paid out no problems but my insurance went up. :(

Back
Top Bottom