Car accident

Soldato
Had call sat morning from police. A guy had crashed his car into mine and another while mine was parked in the street in a parking bay.

Went to see it. Guy and police there. Back of my car smashed on right hand side, light, bumper torn off partially, underside squashed, side panel dented.

Now, guy was driving a mobility vehicle and he said he blacked out.

Police took breath test, negative. No charges etc.

Took all details.

I rang his insurance and they said if he had a blackout he not / they not liable!!

They said i may have to claim through my insurance!!!! Cant believe that.

Have to wait now to see what his insurance say as he not contacted them yet about the incident.

Anyone been through this type of incident?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've not been through similar, but what his insurance is telling you sounds like total BS.

Talk to your insurance company (you have to anyway) and just give it to them to pursue. This is what your insurance is for.

Good luck!

Soldato
I can see that someone blacking out is not fit to hold a driving licence and if that was the case, their insurance should be voided but they should still have to pay up for any third party liability I would have thought.

Soldato
@koolpc - sounds like BS to me in terms of him not being liable. Maybe they meant his insurance would not be valid? In either case I would have thought you would have a civil legal claim against him for property damage (ask a solicitor obvs). If nobody was liable after blacking out you could use that excuse for anything!

Soldato
Driving is a privilege not a right, I know someone who can’t drive because they’ve got cerebral palsy and another who suffers from epilepsy but strangely was allowed to sail his boat.

He’s gone now, we think he had a fit and drowned while he was on his boat.

Soldato
I would expect his insurance to be null and void - he was unfit to drive due to medical reasons.
I suspect you might be on your own with this.

He could face criminal charges, but probably not if it never happened before.

I would expect his insurance to be null and void - he was unfit to drive due to medical reasons.
I suspect you might be on your own with this.

He could face criminal charges, but probably not if it never happened before.

UK based insurers have to act for 3rd parties if they insure the vehicle under the RTA.
They can void a policy and avoid the 3rd party if for example the 3rd party was partly to blame (say a knock for knock) but under most circumstances they have to deal with it and they have to seek reimbursement from the "insured".

Soldato
UK based insurers have to act for 3rd parties if they insure the vehicle under the RTA.
They can void a policy and avoid the 3rd party if for example the 3rd party was partly to blame (say a knock for knock) but under most circumstances they have to deal with it and they have to seek reimbursement from the "insured".

I’ve just been reading.
Even changing your job mid term can invalidate your insurance.

I’ve just been reading.
Even changing your job mid term can invalidate your insurance.

Yes as the policy holder
As I said the insurer is forced (part of being accepted to be allowed to write policies) to act under the RTA.
An insurer is forced to still put the 3rd party into a position as if the policy holder was still insured.

Edit, here you go
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTA_Insurer

Back
Top Bottom