**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
I've just replaced the Bridgestone S001 runflats on my 3 series with non runflat PS4's (not the PS4S).

The handling is much more predictable now on bumpy roads, as well as being more comfortable. I've never liked runflat tyres on any car.

Plus points about the Bridgestones were they lasted a long time (~40k miles for the fronts!), and were quite good on smooth roads in warm conditions. Minus points were poor ride quality, noisy (especially when worn to about 3-4mm), less than great traction in the wet, and a general nervousness in the wet.

So far the Michelin's (cracking deal at Costco with £100 off when buying 4) have dramatically improved the ride quality, noise and wet handling. Grip levels and steering turn-in have also improved but I've not had a chance yet to push them hard. Some of these improvements will be down to the new vs old worn tyres, and runflats vs non-runflats but so far I'm very impressed with them :)
I've just done exactly the same but to PS4S (19s), £530 fitted for 19 inch PS4S all round is bloomin' good in my eyes. Wet traction is remarkably improved, after the BMW power kit was added even in the dry the s001 would struggle in 2nd and third, now it's fine even in the damp :) :)

Soldato
Has anyone here used Costco for tyres?

Have you found them to be strict on insisting the new tyres are fitted to rear when only purchasing 2 (Seems to be a Costco policy, but surely I can dictate where I want the tyres fitting)

Not wanting to start the debate as I am aware best practise is new on rear and old on front when only replacing two.

Soldato
So what's the problem? Like you said, new tyres go on the back and if they put them on the back , that's right?

Because I want them fitted to the front and just wondering if at customers request they will do that as read up online and have seen a few people commenting that they seemed unwilling to do initially so wondered if anyone had ever encounter this.

Wherever I have gone previously put them where I ask and that’s that usually.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Why do you want to fit them in the least safe manner possible?

In answer to your question, they are funny about doing it even when you have a staggered setup. I recall there being a grey box on the form about it, but it has been a while since I had tyres fitted.

Soldato
Costco nearly wouldn't fit the MP4S to my f36 440i as they're not star marked - talked them out of it by telling them it was out of warranty so who cares, and they agreed and got on with it.

Used them multiple times on other cars with no issues though.

Soldato
They sound like a right PITTA to work with, i would pay the extra and go elsewhere

Other than this one issue, I've been extremely happy with them, the fitters have always been very good and happy to let me have a poke under the car whilst it's up in the air etc, very clean workshops and never a mark on the wheels after. So personally I will continue to use them, just telling them the car is not covered by warranty.

Soldato
Why do you want to fit them in the least safe manner possible?

In answer to your question, they are funny about doing it even when you have a staggered setup. I recall there being a grey box on the form about it, but it has been a while since I had tyres fitted.

I have alway’s replaced the fronts to be fair and never had any issues as I tend to drive to the conditions.

Current tyres are poor in the wet in all scenario’s - I can have the traction light flashing in 3rd gear at 50mph on damp roads and provoke understeer far too easily for my liking.

Driven the same car with Goodyear AS5’s tyres on the front in like for like conditions and it has barely any traction issues and wet grip compared to mine is unbelievable.

I could swap all 4 but can’t see it being necessary.

2 x Goodyear AS5 - 235/35/19 for £198 fitted is unbeatable which is why I want to go through Costco.

I’ll call ahead and see if we can come to some arrangement otherwise I’ll swap them round myself.

Man of Honour
I'd probably replace all 4 anyway as I'm not a fan of mis-matching tyres but particularly so if the current ones are that bad in the wet. Especially with them being so cheap!

Soldato

Fair comment when I read it back. I do believe the fronts become unstuck when provoked (Chucking it round a corner, acceleration and driving generally hard) but mainly wet grip is concerning.

The tyres in discussion are Accelera PHI-R
(Not my choice - 4 New already on prior to it’s MOT before I bought it)

I'd probably replace all 4 anyway as I'm not a fan of mis-matching tyres but particularly so if the current ones are that bad in the wet. Especially with them being so cheap!

I have always had all four corners matching but this is the first time I’ve had tyres which i’m not happy with hence wanting to change the fronts at-least where as usually I would just replace with the same.

Soldato
You'll wish you'd changed all 4 when your wet weather turn in is massively improved with your nice new AS5s but the back end can't match it and gives up :p

Associate
So I replaced my all season tyres with summer tyres just before the cold season. Yes, I am very clever! Anyway, I noticed the tyres became so stiff, I could feel every little misperfection on the road. I thought to check the pressure as well as they looked rather pumped up. So upon checking them one tyre was at 35psi and the others at 40psi. Even a little job the garage can't do right. Will I use them again, I don't think so.
So to sum up, the all season are much softer than summer tyres. Lesson learnt.

Back
Top Bottom