• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core i9-12900K allegedly scores 30K points in Cinebench R23

Soldato
Those phrases roll off the tongue but what do they actually mean... "poor optimisation," "lazy devs," etc. They could mean anything, it's just a baseless accusation a lot of the time.

From my admittedly very rough understanding, there is a cost to making things parallel. And it's entirely possible that for a certain algorithm or game function, the cost of (the overheads) of parallel processing actually outweigh the benefits.

Collision detection is one I always think about. You can update the position of every game object on its own thread (for the lulz), but the cost of synchronising all the data to do collision detection would probably (maybe) be higher than processing all those moving objects ST-style in sequence.

He's not wrong, plenty of games out there which are done with minimum effort for maximum profits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rutk9ErhKG4

Even on old gen, look how that I3 falls behind a fx6300 once you get to the city and how that FX8350 can hold its own against the i5.

Soldato
OP
I think the best would be if the game developers begin to do this:
- optimise for 12-core CPU for top ultra-high settings;
- optimise for 8-core for high settings;
- optimise for 6-core for medium settings;
- optimise for 4-core for low-medium settings;

Hopefully you understand how it can work.

GPU's aren't fast enough to need anything beyond a 10th gen/Zen3 8 core CPU for now for gaming.

Caporegime
He's not wrong, plenty of games out there which are done with minimum effort for maximum profits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rutk9ErhKG4

Even on old gen, look how that I3 falls behind a fx6300 once you get to the city and how that FX8350 can hold its own against the i5.
Everything I've ever read about the games industry suggested that it is (or can be) a very highly pressurised environment, often quite toxic, with long hours, huge stress, "crunch time", etc, etc.

Obviously that will vary from company to company, but I never got the impression that devs themselves were "lazy".

But then it's probably not helpful to try to generalise an entire industry anyhow. Working for EA will most likely be very different from working for a small indie games company. But then we're mostly talking AAA games here, so we're mostly talking companies like EA, Activision, Bethesda, etc.

At the end of the day, modern games are staggeringly complex engineering projects. Staggeringly complex. Billions of lines of code and other assets.

I'm actually continually amazed at what they can produce. Some very talented people in the games industry.

Soldato
GPU's aren't fast enough to need anything beyond a 10th gen/Zen3 8 core CPU for now for gaming.

I think ArmA 3 would disagree with that.

Everything I've ever read about the games industry suggested that it is (or can be) a very highly pressurised environment, often quite toxic, with long hours, huge stress, "crunch time", etc, etc.

Obviously that will vary from company to company, but I never got the impression that devs themselves were "lazy".

But then it's probably not helpful to try to generalise an entire industry anyhow. Working for EA will most likely be very different from working for a small indie games company. But then we're mostly talking AAA games here, so we're mostly talking companies like EA, Activision, Bethesda, etc.

At the end of the day, modern games are staggeringly complex engineering projects. Staggeringly complex. Billions of lines of code and other assets.

I'm actually continually amazed at what they can produce. Some very talented people in the games industry.

Those are broad terms which are normally used against companies, not an individual per se. Even CDPR, if I remember correctly, they've said about TW3 that it was going to look just like in the clips that were floating around, although the end product proved otherwise... And then went on with Cyberpunk which was... well, nothing but a shadow of TW3, while being terrible when launched and lacked a lot.

Anyway, plenty of times is not always the hardware lacking, but the developers/companies taking a certain route which is not always optimal.

Soldato
Agreed, would like to see that, at 5.4Ghz (;)) it should be right up there in single core

It should be yes, but as we all know @Dave2150 is just an Intel shill anyway. He/she probably dosn't even have a 11900k to run r23 in the first place. Let's face it, if he/she did it would no doubt beat the only Intel chip in the top 50 ST r23 runs (an 8700k @5Ghz in 44th position).

Soldato
It should be yes, but as we all know @Dave2150 is just an Intel shill anyway. He/she probably dosn't even have a 11900k to run r23 in the first place. Let's face it, if he/she did it would no doubt beat the only Intel chip in the top 50 ST r23 runs (an 8700k @5Ghz in 44th position).
He has been politely asked a long time ago and numerous times but as of yet nothing, maybe now he'll find time or... ;)

Back
Top Bottom