Total War: Warhammer 3

Associate
I see, so it is the same 10+ year old engine? I am doubtful of this game and tbh will not pay £50 or £32 until it gets released and fully reviewed.

Warhammer 1 & 2 are both proven games. What does it matter if the engine is 10 years old or 1 year old? If it works and it produces a fantastic game, like 1 & 2, I don't care. I have well over 1000 hours now on Warhammer 2. I too begrudge paying £50 for a game. If I can get it for around £40 I am more than happy to pay it - works out at like 4p per hour.

Associate
Warhammer 1 & 2 are both proven games. What does it matter if the engine is 10 years old or 1 year old? If it works and it produces a fantastic game, like 1 & 2, I don't care. I have well over 1000 hours now on Warhammer 2. I too begrudge paying £50 for a game. If I can get it for around £40 I am more than happy to pay it - works out at like 4p per hour.

Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!

Permabanned

I played WH2 and it was a great game, all though be it dated engine and had to use mods to improve it's visuals , no doubt one of my best games.

Just hope they don't go with a lazy cash grab, cutting corners approach. Knowing fan boys will approve any thing that comes around.

Last edited:
Associate
I played WH2 and it was a great game, all though be it dated engine and had to use mods to improve it's visuals , no doubt one of my best games.

Just hope they don't go with a lazy cash grab, cutting corners approach. Knowing fan boys will approve any thing that comes around.

I would say to be fair that the Warhammer/Total War players are some of the most 'honest' when it comes to critiquing a game. Look at Rome 2, slated universally on launch by the majority of players - CA worked hard to fix it and seem to have learnt from their mistakes.

I will pre-order as I have no doubt that it will be great, even if there are no 'improvements' from WH2 I will still be very happy.

Permabanned
You're right and 99% of purchases are made this way, but... there are exceptions to that rule as with previous WHammer games being top notch and therefore worth picking up early, imo.

What about Starwars Battlefront and Battlefield games, we're they all not top notch before the quality assurance got bogged down with pre orders ? They even started selling the games halfway finished knowing people have paid lol releasing parts of standard campaign with time and not on release day.

Cyberpunk2077 :cry::cry:

Last edited:
WH2 improved upon the gameplay of WH1, with further improvements coming over the almost 4 years since the second game released. It also integrated almost all of WH1's content. As a result, there are few reasons to play WH1 now; WH2 is simply better.

The same will likely ring true with WH3. But it still makes sense to buy the first two games as they will unlock a lot of content in WH3. If you only have WH3 then you'll only get to pick from Kislev, Cathay, Korne, Nurgle, Slaanesh and Tzeench. Owning WH1 will unlock Empire, Dwarfs, Greenskins and Vampire Counts, while WH2 will unlock High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen and Skaven.

Wait they locked factions in the third game behind owning the previous two? Holy crap that is some evil genius p*** take tactics!

Associate
Wait they locked factions in the third game behind owning the previous two? Holy crap that is some evil genius p*** take tactics!

No. The third game, I would imagine, will be a stand alone game. There will be 4 factions I think with a campaign map.

However, if you own the previous 2 games you can play in a massive map with a lot more factions.

Permabanned
I literally cannot wait to add this to my maxed out DLC for warhammer 1 and 2. Ive simply been waiting for the Mortal Empires to become the huge world conquering epic campaign it was always meant to be after the 3rd instalment.

This game must be a dream for people who like WH. I don't know sod all about it, but with all the DLC there must be near 100 factions in that campaign mode.

Finding the turn times are a lot more tolerable now, even on my old PC. Not sure if they've just improved performance over the years, or it's just you can do some limited stuff during end turn to pass the time. Probably both.

Associate

Well they're not going to give you factions for free that you had to pay for previously!
I think you're mixing up the factions available in the Campaign map versus the larger mortal empires map. That was always going to require owning previous games/addons. I don't think anyone begrudges it either! Keeps your older purchased content relevant even in the new game.

Soldato
It's possible that some factions from older titles will show up in the main WHIII campaign. The map presumably runs from Kislev to Cathay and from the Chaos Wastes down in to the Dark Lands. There are quite a few factions within that area on the Mortal Empires map already. Either they would have to be removed or replaced, or the map would have to be cut in a weird way, or they will be in the main WHIII campaign.

Given the recent drive to bring WHI races in to the WHII Vortex campaign, I'm not sure it's a completely insane idea.

Soldato
Finally, no more auto resolve for sieges hopefully especially with high up places for arty/missile troops to actually be worthwhile when the walls are breached

Soldato
Finally, no more auto resolve for sieges hopefully especially with high up places for arty/missile troops to actually be worthwhile when the walls are breached

I think the biggest change is going to be the difficulty and changes to settlement attrition. If it's quite difficult to win a siege assault and the attrition is tweaked a bit, it's often going to be better to just starve the defenders out (with the caveat that they then have time be reinforced by other armies). This should change the campaign dynamics quite drastically; no more steam rolling through settlements with ranged and magic spam.

Hopefully they can find a way to encourage more field battles too so that the game isn't just endless sieges.

Associate
Siege rework looks ok but rather units have features added to them.

For example ghosts should be able to go through walls, spiders should be able to climb over, constructs and giants smash down walls etc.

Also the ladders look so poo, pink horrors climbing the walls on ladders . Not sure about the quick construction and demolition of towers or blockades, feels like those crap mobile games.

Hopefully the spend a lot of time on the Ai but Warhammer 3 feels more like Warhammer 2.5 so far then a fresh new game.

still got a preorder but I don’t expect to be blown away tbh.

Back
Top Bottom