• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Associate
What's the smallest size these decent TV come in? Current monitor is a 28" so a 32" would be perfect but sounds like they are all gonna be 40+ ?

For the minute the smallest you can get is 48" but 42" (£1000 roughly imo) is coming and will be released around Q2 next year so if size is an issue then may be best to wait till then , the actual TV itself is paper thin so to speak , it is pretty much a piece of glass with a 10cm bit of plastic on the back to house the hdmi input and power lead etc... they are not bulky at all depth wise but are bloody wide :cry:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/lgs-first-42-inch-oled-tv-now-wont-arrive-until-2022

Alternatively you can splash out £3500 on an LG 32EP950-B 32" 4K 60Hz OLED Monitor ( id like some of what they are smoking please:rolleyes:)

Soldato
I wish Cyberpunk 2077 had an HDR implementation like this, would have looked insane. It just uses filtered SDR with no true blacks.
Personally I think the fact that the HDR doesn't have perfect blacks works in its favour, in general Cyberpunk media has had that more greyish look than the super contrasty perfect black/clean image, that's more comic book/super hero movie-esque. The SDR version for CP2077 in particular I just didn't like it at all. And if you think about it, particularly with RTGI on, in such a bright environment, how are you ever gonna really have perfect blacks if trying to have physically based & correct lighting? That being said it's clear the tone-mapper isn't doing a very good job, as even bright elements like sun-through-sky don't tonemap correctly and get blown out regardless of the calibration. Sadly very common for even the games with otherwise great HDR implementations. Definitely would like to see it fixed. Have you seen these btw? Someone tried to do HDR more accurately before release, not completely succeeded (blown-out sky also, in nomad areas) but has that more contrasty look.

Soldato
Gotta say, besides the mild slow-downs when traveling at full speed with the car through the world the streaming issue really isn't there otherwise. What I'm really amazed by is just how far they pushed the LODs and draw distances in this game, and given all that it's a miracle the issue isn't even worse. I mean I just think of how bad streaming stutters were in Fallen Order and this doesn't even register by comparison, and that wasn't even open world!
Tbh I think this might the game with the best LODs, it's absolutely spectacular and I just can't think of any other that comes close. The polish of the general graphical presentation of this game is up there with the best - impeccable. I really can't say enough good things about it (and the game as a whole), it's without a doubt the best Far Cry experience yet.

Associate
CPU bottleneck in this game is very bad. I know my 9900k isn't top of the line anymore but surely it isnt that bad so as to warrant 74% GPU usage at 4k with FSR Ultra Quality?

Untitled.jpg

Turning off FSR virtually eliminates the bottleneck. Just 7% under-utilization. Is FSR rendering at too low a resolution or is this normal behavior? I never see this in DLSS based titles.

Untitled1.jpg

Caporegime
Gotta say, besides the mild slow-downs when traveling at full speed with the car through the world the streaming issue really isn't there otherwise. What I'm really amazed by is just how far they pushed the LODs and draw distances in this game, and given all that it's a miracle the issue isn't even worse. I mean I just think of how bad streaming stutters were in Fallen Order and this doesn't even register by comparison, and that wasn't even open world!
Tbh I think this might the game with the best LODs, it's absolutely spectacular and I just can't think of any other that comes close. The polish of the general graphical presentation of this game is up there with the best - impeccable. I really can't say enough good things about it (and the game as a whole), it's without a doubt the best Far Cry experience yet.
Yes game looks fantastic to be fair. I see some of the posts here from Nvidia users with less than a 3090 and I hope the issue gets fixed for them in a driver update or patch.

Reading some of the comments it's like we are playing a different game at times since the graphics are superb if you meet the minimum requirements.

I do believe there is some issue here since my 6700 XT can run the game just fine without issue as it has 12GB, yet a 3080 TI cannot and should be able to run it easily at 1440P/4K.

I got my best results with the 6700 XT using 4K, HD Textures, max settings but I did turn motiion blur and RT shadows off otherwise FPS were too low. Memory usage stayed around but below 12GB for the most part and no stuttering or textures issues were visible.

That said, if you want the best performance you really a 6900 XT for this one as the FPS are well north of 60 at 4K max settings.

Last edited:
Associate
I have better gameplay with FSR off. Like yours @Shaz12 the GPU doesnt need a hand, your better off pushing it hard to give your cpu an easy ride!
Yea. I turned it off, it’s not helping me anyway. GPU usage rarely goes above 90% with it on. FSR is basically worthless as you really need a 5800X and above to make any use of it on top-end GPUs. I can’t imagine how brutal the cpu requirements must be at 1440p.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Yea. I turned it off, it’s not helping me anyway. GPU usage rarely goes above 90% with it on. FSR is basically worthless as you really need a 5800X and above to make any use of it on top-end GPUs. I can’t imagine how brutal the cpu requirements must be at 1440p.

Give it an nvidia driver update and a game patch later I bet it will be resolved.

Soldato
I have a 5900X and a 3080 and at 4K my GPU usage will sit at 100% with unlocked FPS. Though with a 60 Hz Freesync monitor I find stick to ~58 FPS and get a perfectly smooth experience with adaptive sync. I enable FSR or DLSS where possible IF the visuals don't suffer too much. That way I can run my GPU cooler quieter and at max FPS.

Soldato
Yes game looks fantastic to be fair.
Reading some of the comments it's like we are playing a different game at times since the graphics are superb if you meet the minimum requirements.
Might also be down to if they have a decent HDR display or not. I had to stop playing Primal even though I was enjoying it because the lack of HDR just blew out the brightness when it was sunny (gonna try again with autoHDR in the future). If people are playing FC6 in SDR then I can imagine they're missing out on a LOT, especially with this being a tropical island. Plus their tone-mapping is ace, so it's all that much better.

I do alright with just an i7 6800K for 60 fps (minor dips on travel and the like), but I have an RX 6800 (which with FSR UQ also doesn't get fully tapped out, but for 4K alone it can't do more than 40s fps). I wonder if the extra CPU requirements for NV GPUs are what are killing it, because a 9900K is still a top-end CPU and much better than mine. Might have to turn down environment details & shadows to loosen the strain on the CPU. You can see here even the puny 1600X does alright with Radeon:

VUGeqdq.jpg.png

Last edited:
Associate
The problem is the game is just too single threaded. So the engine doesn’t work nicely with Hyper Threading as it took away almost 10 fps. So I had to disable that hobbling the CPU. A game like Cyberpunk 2077 where I do see CPU bottlenecks with dlss in certain areas of the city (not as bad as FC6), I see 80% plus utilisation on all all the cores. The worst I see for GPU utilisation in that game in that area is around 88%.

In Far Cry 6, one of my cores is constantly pegged at >=85%. Another core is pegged at around 55-70% while the rest are just around 40% usage. That’s just not enough to support the 3080 Ti and NVIDIA’s driver overhead on top of that doesn’t really help things. This is the first game I have played in a long time which is this single threaded. AC Odyssey was another one but even that wasn’t as bad as this.

At 1440p, it’s a bloodbath. I get no increase in frame rate at all running natively and GPU usage never crosses 80%.

Associate
It seems modders are taking matters into their own hands. A custom "Psuedo HD" Pack has been released on the Discord channel with high resolution textures for characters and weapons solving the blurry texture issue. This mod replaces the low resolution assets in the game with these high resolution one from the pack. So when that 2GB buffer headroom the game sets for itself is breached and the game loads low res assets, it will load the modded high resolution ones instead and it seems to be working splendidly. Nice!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It seems modders are taking matters into their own hands. A custom "Psuedo HD" Pack has been released on the Discord channel with high resolution textures for characters and weapons solving the blurry texture issue. This mod replaces the low resolution assets in the game with these high resolution one from the pack. So when that 2GB buffer headroom the game sets for itself is breached and the game loads low res assets, it will load the modded high resolution ones instead and it seems to be working splendidly. Nice!
Makes me laugh. If this truly works properly and some random moders can do it in a week, then that says a lot about the dev team.

Caporegime
I actually saw my first low resolution texture earlier when i was using the 6700 XT at 4K with the HD Texture pack, RT shadows off no FSR.

It was the supremo that I bought off Juan Cortez, video memory usage was around 11.5gb at the time it happened and it was only occurring on the weapon mod screen.

Was strange nonetheless. I've yet to see any reduced textures with the 6900 XT.

Associate
I actually saw my first low resolution texture earlier when i was using the 6700 XT at 4K with the HD Texture pack, RT shadows off no FSR.

It was the supremo that I bought off Juan Cortez, video memory usage was around 11.5gb at the time it happened and it was only occurring on the weapon mod screen.

Was strange nonetheless. I've yet to see any reduced textures with the 6900 XT.
Sounds about right. For me, whenever vram usage exceeds 10.8GB blurry textures on weapons start showing up. When I move out of the area and vram usage declines, the high res textures start loading again. With FSR, this problem is eliminated as vram usage is comfortably below 9GB but the game is a stuttery mess as it flushes out textures very aggressively for some reason.

Soldato
I've come to the conclusion after a few hours on Far Cry 6 that Raytracing in these action packed games is kinda pointless. I don't spend much time looking at raytraced shadows and reflections when im out gunning the enemy, what is important to me is FPS! Where as a game where there's a lot of puzzle solving or looking around areas like a RPG i would spend more time looking at the environment.

Associate
I've come to the conclusion after a few hours on Far Cry 6 that Raytracing in these action packed games is kinda pointless. I don't spend much time looking at raytraced shadows and reflections when im out gunning the enemy, what is important to me is FPS! Where as a game where there's a lot of puzzle solving or looking around areas like a RPG i would spend more time looking at the environment.
That’s because they opted for the wrong effects in a jungle setting. The only time RT reflections will be visible is when it has rained in the game or you inside a building which is rare and even then they are terribly low resolution and don’t apply to water bodies. RT Reflections only make a huge impact in an urban setting with lots of shiny materials everywhere.

RT shadows would have made a more dramatic impact on visuals (check cyberpunk 2077 vegetation shadows) but they hobbled it as sun shadows cast by vegetation is just screen space shadows. Only geometry like buildings and other static objects cast RT shadows which aid hardly noticeable.

What they should really have done was implement RT Diffuse Illumination, RT Global Illumination and RT ambient occlusion. It would have completely altered the look of the game. Check the Taiga level on Metro Exodus with these effects. It’s like a completely different level with ray tracing.

Back
Top Bottom