The impending environmental disaster

Soldato
I do not understand why instead of things like HS2 government didn't put that cash into things like this.

Imagine how much impact it would have.
On the poorest too. And the environmental side.

French government ran €1 insulation scheme for people that earned less than the income tax payment threshold. Insulated your loft and/or the basement ceiling. You give the contractor €1 and they bill the government for the work. I think having my 50sqm basement done cost the state €1600. Cost me €100 in timber and woodworm treatment to put battening up in one side of the basement, but I didn’t mind as I discovered a partially rotten beam that needed repairing and it keeps our bedroom floor so much warmer in winter.

Soldato
If the increase in temperature has already been and gone past its "event horizon" and the snowball effect is already in motion we need to be preparing for the inevitable rather than trying to be green.

Continuing to add to the problem isn't a solution.

We as a species have the ingenuity and capability to exist on this planet in a sustainable way. It's down to those in power to actually go ahead and make it happen.

Given we are utterly incapable of dealing with a few rubber dinghies crossing the channel, what the hell makes you think we'd deal with the sort of migration that will happen when billions of people get uprooted?

Soldato
Controlling population is the only answer really. China has now gone to a two child policy and I think is now going to a three it is only going to get worse. It is crazy to think since I was born that world population has gone up 50%.

Even if you managed to drop emissions across the world by 33% you would still be at emissions standard of the mid 80's which was already bad according to the experts.

If the increase in temperature has already been and gone past its "event horizon" and the snowball effect is already in motion we need to be preparing for the inevitable rather than trying to be green.
Birth rate drops as poverty drops. The sooner we can lift countries out of poverty, the sooner the birth rate will drop.

Given we are utterly incapable of dealing with a few rubber dinghies crossing the channel, what the hell makes you think we'd deal with the sort of migration that will happen when billions of people get uprooted?

You think stopping rubber dinghies going across the ocean is the barometer for human effectiveness? :confused:

Soldato
You think stopping rubber dinghies going across the ocean is the barometer for human effectiveness? :confused:

I think the people that say we shouldn't bother trying to minimise our impact on the climate have a significant crossover with the people that get upset at migrants coming to this country. Since they don't care about the environment per se, it's better to appeal to their selfishness.

If we do nothing about climate change, the migration we have seen from small displacements like Syria, and all the wailing and political strife from that, is going to utterly pale into insignificance when hundreds of millions, billions of people have to start migrating to survive.

Soldato
I think the people that say we shouldn't bother trying to minimise our impact on the climate have a significant crossover with the people that get upset at migrants coming to this country. Since they don't care about the environment per se, it's better to appeal to their selfishness.

If we do nothing about climate change, the migration we have seen from small displacements like Syria, and all the wailing and political strife from that, is going to utterly pale into insignificance when hundreds of millions, billions of people have to start migrating to survive.
Ah gotcha. Yeah I don't doubt you. We can see in many of the posts in here, for example the chef that has "done a lot of reading" and the folk who said to get "five scientists in a room" implying they will all disagree.

Soldato
French government ran €1 insulation scheme for people that earned less than the income tax payment threshold. Insulated your loft and/or the basement ceiling. You give the contractor €1 and they bill the government for the work. I think having my 50sqm basement done cost the state €1600. Cost me €100 in timber and woodworm treatment to put battening up in one side of the basement, but I didn’t mind as I discovered a partially rotten beam that needed repairing and it keeps our bedroom floor so much warmer in winter.
Great, and what was the impact?

Square root of naff all, in the grand scheme of things.

Caporegime
OP
There's always an excuse.

Also. I don't believe just bringing the 3rd world out of poverty is viable in time to lower birth rates.
As said we have too many people. You can't with our current tech bring everyone up to the USA standards.
You'd need less people and thus there would be less cheap labour to make cheap tat for the over users to buy.

Everyone has to have thier standard of living lowered. Less meat, less energy consumption, less kids, less consumerism.

People won't like it. Nobody likes things being taken away. But it's inevitable. The more put it off the sharper the cliff edge will be.

You as an individual might escape it. But your kids?

It really is people who have kids and claim they care about them that baffles me. Fair eneif you're dense enough not to see it coming. But if you are aware of climate disaster. Think it will happen. Have kids and care for them? I just don't get why you wouldn't want these massive changes for thier sake.

Oh, and on China. Apparently increasing the children you can have law isn't very effective as people also have same issue as here. Can't afford or don't want kids. No longer is the law the limiting factor

Back
Top Bottom