Squid Game

Caporegime
@danlightbulb

Re: Ali & the marbles. I thought it worked. Ali has been established as a very trusting character who likes and respects Sang-Woo and believes he owes him something. He is motivated to believe that there is a way for him and Sang-Woo to both live and thus for him to avoid the responsibility for killing his friend. He also checks the bag by lifting it to check the marbles are there (although I suspect in real life the difference between marbles and stones would be more obvious that it suggests).

Korean film and TV seems to be generally more exaggerated in style than is normal in the West. Nothing wrong with that, we're just habituated to the style of Western film making far more and have accepted its many weirdnesses and story telling tropes. For me, it's part of the enjoyment of watching non-Western stuff.

Associate
I caved in and have watched one episode, intend to continue.

I was wondering about chatting here about subtitles seeing as the english speaking characters were getting some grief. Beyond ease of viewing and maybe having it on in the background etc. I don't understand why anyone would want the sub-par experience of dubbed voice actors.

I will always prefer foreign language film/tv in its original recording, after A/Bing a few films and animes over the years when it crosses my mind, the westernised intonation approximation often sounds ridiculous once you've heard the original actor's performance. Not always, but it's such an important part of the performance.

Also, notice the front man, although speaking english, is also redubbed to a different english voice for the English audio. Although may be because of scenes I haven't seen yet ;)

Caporegime
Finished this. Bloody hell, it was amazing. You do need good subs, though. Some versions have absolutely dreadful subs.

Also, what was the deal with the VIPs? Their actors were C grade at best. Shocking line delivery!

*edit*

Ji-yeong is best girl. Don't @ me.

:cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Over-hyped waste of time.

There were serious issues with pacing in this. Aside from the first game the remaining games didn't really have any sense of suspense or tension. The acting was very hit and miss. Some of the main characters were very wooden.

I stuck it out for the 'twist'. Yawn.

Soldato
I really enjoyed this, it was refreshigng, some of the execuion (excuse the pun) was brilliant but it was no masterpiece.

I think it peaked in the middle, the marble episode was excrusiating but sadly I found the ending really retracted from it.

Caporegime
I really enjoyed this, it was refreshigng, some of the execuion (excuse the pun) was brilliant but it was no masterpiece.

I think it peaked in the middle, the marble episode was excrusiating but sadly I found the ending really retracted from it.

Yep, he should've got his head blown off and then found out he was the master mind behind it all - IMO.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Over-hyped waste of time.

There were serious issues with pacing in this. Aside from the first game the remaining games didn't really have any sense of suspense or tension. The acting was very hit and miss. Some of the main characters were very wooden.

I stuck it out for the 'twist'. Yawn.

Yeah, it was OK but nothing special. The acting was awful at times, especially the crazy woman. Pacing was really off and I kind of lost interest in the middle. Too many "caricatures" of people that broke any sort of immersion. Perhaps part of that was the dubbing but I assume they were relatively true to the native Korean.

Both my partner and me called the "twist" in the first episode but assumed that it would be far too obvious.

Overal not bad but I swear COVID has killed peoples ability to have any objectivity when it comes to film and TV. This was OK. So many things lately that people have raved about that are bang average, they just have hype behind them.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Binged it over the past 2 days. The first game was good but the whole game-dialogue-game structure of the first few episodes was tiresome.

You can probably watch every other episode and still pickup on the story threads tbh.

Best scene was…

the riot in the sleeping quarters once those guys went back for seconds. The sub plot with the doctor was decent but the crawling through air vent was totally irrelevant now looking back, considering it went nowhere.

Soldato
Not hating on it but not sold on the "OMG it's amazing" rhetoric, the 1st game was great but after that a combination of terrible acting and slow storylines made it more of a drag that it should've been.

It was ok and watchable but I certainly wouldn't say I didn't enjoy it because I need to be cool as I really don't care what people think about me as I'm over 15 and able to make up my own mind without seeking approval.

Associate
Was kinda ok... may it it was too hyped and i was expecting something great? Some characters were so poorly written , ex: the VIPs were a literal lol with cheesey dialogue.

Caporegime
Ah and here come the posters who probably enjoyed it but want to be seen as "cool" by hating on it because its had such a good reception :D

I'm quite possibly the furthest thing from being "cool" and I lost interest after the second episode. I just thought it was very poorly written, directed and acted. Chuck in the awful dubbing and what you have is just a poor show.

Back
Top Bottom