• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Associate
If they are placing a new product into the same or similar segment then the will want some separation, I guess it depends if they have many spare dies for the lower end parts. Margins are king in the finance sector, but if you aren't making as many sales then you can make 500% margin but what good is that if you are selling 1% of what you were previously?
1% lmao

V F

V F

Soldato
No not at all. But the majority of people on here are very interested in things they are never going to buy. Let’s be real, it’s a very pro AMD forum with most bashing Intel for moving forward. In actual fact when you ask the bigger posters what they are using, you very often find out that they haven’t bought anything for years.

I only take interest in something I’m actually thinking of buying.

Erm... No. This forum goes in cycles. I've seen when it was all the Athlon XP/M era, when it was the Core 2 Duo era, Sandybridge, Ivybridge, Devil's Canyon, FX and so on. People just chase whatever they feel is fastest. It's really not whatever pro brand. I remember what this forum used to be like when it was ATi vs NVIDIA. Everyone was chasing fps or image quality or both. It all goes in cycles.

Heck, I even remember one stage when this forum was even chasing the AMD server chips. Opteron and Sempron.

People are taking interest in things they may not be buying because that day may come when they see the extremely high prices they may need to shell out. There are so many scenarios to their needs and specifications.

Associate
Exactly! Why bother if they have nothing good to say about Intel, only AMD.

Maybe because AMD deserves it? I am buying either a 5950X or a 12900k purely for gaming (depending upon how reviews turn out) and based on Intel's benchmarks and taking a conservative haircut of ~4-5%, they have barely managed to eke out a win here at the cost of significantly more heat and power consumption. Ryzen still seems more efficient and considering these chips are a year old, its quite impressive.

Associate
Have you seen the price of the 5950x? That’s good?

Everyone was singing the praises of PCIE 4.0, now Intel has not only PCIE 5.0, but more importantly DDR5. What is it AMD have in the horizon?

How expensive are those DDR5 RAM kits and motherboards? We are looking at £300 for kits with mediocre timings. I think a good spec DDR4 kit with tight timings will easily beat this. How much will you spend on cooling a 12900k? The CPUs are reasonably priced but you are paying early adopter tax on pretty much everything else.

I think the 3D V-Cache 5950X to be launched early 2022 will beat the 12900k in gaming and would run cooler. I would wait but honestly can't wait to have top performance right now lol. I play at 4k so the difference would be miniscule.

Soldato
OP
How expensive are those DDR5 RAM kits and motherboards? We are looking at £300 for kits with mediocre timings. I think a good spec DDR4 kit with tight timings will easily beat this. How much will you spend on cooling a 12900k? The CPUs are reasonably priced but you are paying early adopter tax on pretty much everything else.

I think the 3D V-Cache 5950X to be launched early 2022 will beat the 12900k in gaming and would run cooler. I would wait but honestly can't wait to have top performance right now lol. I play at 4k so the difference would be miniscule.

Good timing DDR4 is more expensive though

for example 32gb DDR4 3800 cl14 for me is 500 pounds
But 32gb DDR5 5200 cl36 is 300 pounds

Associate
Maybe because AMD deserves it? I am buying either a 5950X or a 12900k purely for gaming (depending upon how reviews turn out) and based on Intel's benchmarks and taking a conservative haircut of ~4-5%, they have barely managed to eke out a win here at the cost of significantly more heat and power consumption. Ryzen still seems more efficient and considering these chips are a year old, its quite impressive.

Why would you even consider a 5950x if all you're going to use it for is gaming? There's much better bang for buck chips out there from both AMD and Intel.

Soldato
Where did the 300% come from? CPU's and motherboards have not gone up 300%, neither have GPU's. 3080's are £650, 3090's are £1399, from the popular Nvidia source. Just because you can chose to buy pay £3k doesn't change this fact.
I'm talking about the cards that are in the shops to buy not the ones that are available for a few minutes every month or so.

Permabanned
The thing is if you’re buying an £500+ CPU then you’re far more likely to be gaming at 1440/4k at which point the differences between cpu’s will be minuscule.

But you are likely to end with a £1500+ GPU, so the CPU is pretty cheap, relatively speaking.
The joy has no price tag.

Soldato
The thing is if you’re buying an £500+ CPU then you’re far more likely to be gaming at 1440/4k at which point the differences between cpu’s will be minuscule.
Rarely makes sense to spend such an amount on a gaming CPU with so many cores, how future proof was the 3950X in gaming when stacked up against the 6 core 5600X just a year later.

Permabanned
Rarely makes sense to spend such an amount on a gaming CPU with so many cores, how future proof was the 3950X in gaming when stacked up against the 6 core 5600X just a year later.

lol the Ryzen 9 3950X is certainly faster than the poor bad Ryzen 5 5600X. Look at the link above again.

Soldato
lol the Ryzen 9 3950X is certainly faster than the poor bad Ryzen 5 5600X. Look at the link above again.
The game was bugged, with the Fix applied the 5600X is faster than a 3950X.

No doubt the zen 4 6600X or whatever it's called will be faster than the 5950X in games.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

This is actually a very good point, people who are buying high core cpu's just to "future proof" does seem a bit silly unless you need the cores for productivity work

Associate
The idea of flagship products being 'futureproof' is kinda BS imo. Most people who buy the absolute best aren't going to tolerate subsequent models (including midrange) making their once top-tier product look like a potato and will be dumping it for the new hotness asap.

Back
Top Bottom