Google Pixel 6/6 Pro

Associate
That's gotta be user error. When you recorded the fingerprint, you gave it good coverage of different angles? It sounds like this is likely the problem, if you place your fingerprint 10 times in the exact same position, then that's the exact position you'll need to use when unlocking.

Nah not user error for sure ... I have followed the instructions to change positions slightly and to do the tips and sides of the finger print.

It seems mostly it is ok for ppl not using any screen protectors, but issues when especially using tempered glass ones.

Soldato
It's either that or there's a batch of dodgy sensors because many of us are finding it absolutely fine and nothing like the car crash other users are experiencing.
Not just users. Majority of reviews have said the same. Flossy for e.g. hates his as it's just crap. For me this is the worst thing about the phone right now

Soldato
I think the FPS issue is entirely related to the person honestly, specifically oil
For how many years have we been doing FPS now. I would find it hard to believe all of us don't know this already...

Well I tried a number of things to improve the response such as recording the same finger twice, deleting and re-recording and got the same results. Never had an issue with any FPS on any other handset but this one just didnt like either of my thumbs.

The S21 Ultra I have is near 100%, to the point where its just not something I ever notice, this pixel was sub 50% for me. Trying to log into my bank earlier and getting locked out after 5 failed attempts was the last straw for me.

I didnt have a screen protector on of course but I suspect that there is something local to the people with issues that the FPS on this device just doesnt like rather than there being a general hardware issue.

Soldato
Not sure if that's happened before on other handsets (imagine it has) but if it is the case, hope a software update would improve it?
That's what I'm hoping or there's a hardware problem floating around.. we'll find out soon. I can tell you there's no issue with the way I add my finger print and I've never had problems before

Soldato
My test is a 37 minute video then basically reloading a webpage up to the hour, screen brightness set to to 300 lumens. In an hour, it lost 3% just turning to 4% on the hour.

Ah, I meant always on display. I feel like it is less power optimised then the 2XL.

Had a good opportunity to use the camera today thanks to my 15 month old niece visiting. The detail they can pick up on the new sensor is outstanding, the detail you can pick up in reflections on her eyes was amazing. This is slightly let down by the colour correction, bringing out reds far too much, a red cardigan was almost fluorescent and people looked a little orange. So a little edit with the built in photo app and you end up with a 10/10 photo. I'm not feeling the portrait mode either as some natural brokeh is possible with the sizes of lens and sensor.

Associate
I'm not impressed with the camera at the moment. My Pixel 2XL took a great picture every time and everything was in focus. The Pixel 6 seems to be hit and miss. I have taken pictures today of my misses and 2 girls. Every picture has one person out of focus, just slightly but it's enough to ruin the picture. I was using tap to focus and on other pics I was just letting it do its thing.
I don't like not trusting it to take a picture when I wouldn't even think about it with the 2XL.
Hope software can improve it because the bits that are in focus are very detailed indeed so the potential is there.

Soldato
I'm not impressed with the camera at the moment. My Pixel 2XL took a great picture every time and everything was in focus. The Pixel 6 seems to be hit and miss. I have taken pictures today of my misses and 2 girls. Every picture has one person out of focus, just slightly but it's enough to ruin the picture. I was using tap to focus and on other pics I was just letting it do its thing.
I don't like not trusting it to take a picture when I wouldn't even think about it with the 2XL.
Hope software can improve it because the bits that are in focus are very detailed indeed so the potential is there.
It's a bit weird.. I've noticed that it has very low aperture and seems to blur everything out in the background. Very odd, even things that I'm trying to keep in focus have blurred out. Strange behaviour and not something I've experienced in my p5 unless I was in portrait mode.

Associate
It's a bit weird.. I've noticed that it has very low aperture and seems to blur everything out in the background. Very odd, even things that I'm trying to keep in focus have blurred out. Strange behaviour and not something I've experienced in my p5 unless I was in portrait mode.
You explained it so much better than I did lol. But yes, that is what I am finding. It wants to blur everything except what is in the center of the picture. I used to use portrait mode if I wanted any kind of blurring which worked well also on the 2XL. Not tried portrait mode on the 6 yet.

Soldato
I think the FPS issue is entirely related to the person

I think I said similar above. I had problems with a OnePlus in screen FPS in the past, when everyone else said it was fine. As it's optical, I wonder if my print just isn't defined enough? The erm, peaks are too similar a colour to the troughs...?

All evening it's been fine though now.

Soldato
I think I said similar above. I had problems with a OnePlus in screen FPS in the past, when everyone else said it was fine. As it's optical, I wonder if my print just isn't defined enough? The erm, peaks are too similar a colour to the troughs...?

All evening it's been fine though now.

No, I had no issues with one plus and I remember you having issues with it. I've got issues with 6 tho. I've re added my print as per instruction on the screen and it's still rubbish.

Associate
Had a chance to put the phone through its paces a bit more this weekend, main issues for me at present are:-

• FPS the same as everyone else, it's awful with screen protector but hopefully will improve with updates, using smart lock in the interim
  • Android Auto wired connection randomly disconnects and reconnects 7 or 8 times at the start of every journey, then settles. Also changes from day mode to night mode randomly. Using same cable as Pixel 5 which I've just sold this weekend and worked flawlessly both on Android 11 and 12.

Positives for me are battery life, I'm finding it slightly better than P5, camera is as expected, like the bigger screen even though it's taken a bit to get used to after P5.

I've sold the P5 so this is a keeper and hopefully teething problems will be resolved.

Soldato
Going by Reddit:

Step 1: re-add finger print and keep an eye on the screen, the scanner location moves around, also scan the sides as it tells you, basically scan to the instructions. Add 2 scans of the same finger.
Step 2 : disable animations, settings - accessibility - text and display - remove animations

I don't know if the animation part is a Placebo but it feels snappier when unlocking.. of course you miss all those lovely android 12 animations but there's a chance that something funky is going on with FPS + PIXEL 6 + ANIMATIONS.

Back
Top Bottom