Fuji X Series

Soldato
I really want a fast wide prime to add to my collection and the 14mm has been top of that list for a while, however I just don’t think I could justify the cost for gaining 1 stop of light over my 10-24 f4. Admittedly the 14mm would be sharper but I find the zoom lens plenty sharp for my needs.
A 14mm f2 would be perfect and I’m still holding out to see if this Viltrox 13mm f1.4 ever sees the light of day.
I did have the Samyang 12mm f2 which as many have said before is a superb lens for the price however IQ wise it doesn’t hold a candle to the 10-24 - which is a pity.

Soldato
Hmm, just as I bought a heavily used 16-80mm from MPB, the purple high street place that rhymes with an Indian dish is doing them brand new for bargaintastic £403.97!

Soldato
Hmm, just as I bought a heavily used 16-80mm from MPB, the purple high street place that rhymes with an Indian dish is doing them brand new for bargaintastic £403.97!
Holy cow that’s mental! See they are OOS now but for anyone who got one that’s a cracking deal. Reminds me of the time about 4 years ago when I got the Canon EF 16-35 f4 brand new for £599 from them.

Soldato
Holy cow that’s mental! See they are OOS now but for anyone who got one that’s a cracking deal. Reminds me of the time about 4 years ago when I got the Canon EF 16-35 f4 brand new for £599 from them.

I would be one of those people who snapped it up :D

To be fair this is the lens I wanted over 18-135mm but this deal obviously wasn't available then.

Soldato
I would be one of those people who snapped it up :D

To be fair this is the lens I wanted over 18-135mm but this deal obviously wasn't available then.
I'm super happy with my 16-80. Is it my best/sharpest lens? No. But it covers such a versatile range and constant f4 it's just a real jack of all trades lens - I'd be lost without it.
I bought mine used for £510 last summer (not long after release) and was super happy. So for that price new from Currys you'd be mad not to.

Associate
Loads of deals about on Sony, Canon and Nikon lenses on Amazon coming up to Black Friday - Absolutely nothing for Fuji so far.

Are Fuji just a bit stingy with deals? I've not seen them discounted anywhere since I got my X-T4.

Soldato
Curry’s you can say as ocuk don’t sell cameras and lenses. :p

Can't keep up with competitor rules in different subforms so play it safe :p

Looks like some people had their orders cancelled on this deal but mine has turned up this morning so had a quick play.

They couldn't have packaged it up any worse though, didn't even have the decency to put it in a jiffy bag, just plain mailing plastic bag and naturally a big ding in one of the box corners but lens seems ok. Not sure who they have working in a warehouse to pack expensive and delicate electronics like that.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a decent TTL flash for the X-mount system?
I don't use a flash all that often - really just for any of my freelance press stuff that requires it so I don't want to spend more than I have to really.

I am currently using a cheap and bulky K&F Concept speedlite that I kept from my Canon DSLR days however it only works manually with the Fuji which is a PITA in itself but also looks (and feels) way oversized for the smaller Fuji bodies.

I was looking at the EF-20 as it looks to be a nice compact size however most of the Fuji own brand stuff does appear to be quite old and expensive for what it is - maybe I've set my expectations wrong I don't know.

Are there any third party TTL options that would work or should I be looking for genuine Fuji gear?

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a decent TTL flash for the X-mount system?
I don't use a flash all that often - really just for any of my freelance press stuff that requires it so I don't want to spend more than I have to really.

I am currently using a cheap and bulky K&F Concept speedlite that I kept from my Canon DSLR days however it only works manually with the Fuji which is a PITA in itself but also looks (and feels) way oversized for the smaller Fuji bodies.

I was looking at the EF-20 as it looks to be a nice compact size however most of the Fuji own brand stuff does appear to be quite old and expensive for what it is - maybe I've set my expectations wrong I don't know.

Are there any third party TTL options that would work or should I be looking for genuine Fuji gear?
Godoy offer probably the best range of third party flashes for Fuji they are well specked and competitively priced!

good article here comparing options:
https://fujilove.com/flash-options-for-fujifilm-x-and-gfx-cameras/

Soldato
Godoy offer probably the best range of third party flashes for Fuji they are well specked and competitively priced!

good article here comparing options:
https://fujilove.com/flash-options-for-fujifilm-x-and-gfx-cameras/
Thanks for the info. I was watching a couple of TT350's on eBay and Amazon but they've all gone OOS now. I'm in no panic so I'll monitor it over Christmas and see what I can pick up.

I've been a bit pre-occupied this past week as I went and bought another 50-140 as my 70-300 was really struggling in the low light for outdoor sports in our typical UK winter.
I think this definitely seems to be a case of third time lucky as I'm very happy with this copy - I made no bones about the first two I owned which were extremely underwhelming to say the least.
The downside is I'll probably have to give up the 90mm f2 as I have no need for both and it was getting less and less use anyway.

Associate
I'd always read lots of mixed reviews on the Fuji XC50-230mm so had always put it off, till I put a cheeky offer in on one for £140 and she accepted.

Received it today, immaculate condition, looks new and to my surprise very sharp throughout the range on my X-T4, I must have got a good sample. It's very slow, so never going to be suitable for keeping up with cars on a track etc but for the money paid, I'm happy with it for the occasional use it'll get :)

Soldato
I'd always read lots of mixed reviews on the Fuji XC50-230mm so had always put it off, till I put a cheeky offer in on one for £140 and she accepted.

Received it today, immaculate condition, looks new and to my surprise very sharp throughout the range on my X-T4, I must have got a good sample. It's very slow, so never going to be suitable for keeping up with cars on a track etc but for the money paid, I'm happy with it for the occasional use it'll get :)

I sold mine to get a 55-200 and honestly image wise i cant say ive noticed a difference.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
So what are you tempted with now Lie? I thought you went with the X-E4 because you wanted a smaller body :D

I did but honestly I like the bigger lenses and those feel a bit unbalanced on the X-E4, so I've got it with the official thumb rest and hand grip. At that point it's no longer small, so I am thinking maybe an X-T3.

Back
Top Bottom