Insulate Britain and Extinction Rebellion, domestic terrorists?

Associate
So when a government refuses to act on the biggest issue facing humanity today, what are people supposed to do? Write stern letters to their MP?

Trust me, driving from A to B unimpeded will seem like a forgotten memory when we have global crop failures, the entire population of sub-saharan Africa migrating north, weather patterns that kill 1000s a year.

I have a right to defend my home, the earth is my home.

As most campaigners suggest - drastic action is needed now to turn the tide of climate change. The huge elephant in the room is of course however the fact that in practice pretty much all of those "drastic" action measures would be deeply and personally unpalatable for the voting public en masse - which is why no Govt is going to carry them out (as no doubt we will see over the next couple of weeks).Far better for them to carry on saying the right things to be "on message" whilst backing measures which a) dont cost them much, if anything and come with the bonus of a bit of revenue generation b) the onus is put on little Joe Public not big business which, while they make people feel good about themselves in "doing their bit" largely have such a low impact on global climate change that its unmeasurable. e.g. plastic bags in Supermarkets.

Forcing whole industries out of business or to make hugely expensive changes to their processes would have course lead to major price rises, global inflation and wrecked economies, job losses etc etc No Government is willingly going to go down that path and expect to remain in power. It will take a lot more than the Swedish Doom Goblin to force them to do much beyond the usual meaningless platitudes.

Johanna Lumley wants to bring back rationing for things like travel and luxury goods - a real vote winner for any Govt.......

COP26 will be a large scale fudge with some nice sound bites to keep people happy around policies that the big players have no intention of meeting - while the actual issue gets paid lip service.

Caporegime
Yes, and they're getting removed by the Police as a result, and will eventually get processed by the justice system. As is proportionate for protestors carrying out civil disobedience.

Let's just add the rest of his post here rather than the bit you've decided to select:

They're committing crimes. With no remorse. Protesting is fine and allowed, blocking major roads isn't. The funniest posts are people who think what they're doing is ok. A bunch of middle class snobs, who have the luxury of taking the day off work to glue their heads to the motorway, to **** off the people who HAVE to go to work because they need to earn money to put food on the table, and that's without going into the fact they've been the root cause of causing people health problems. Go and protest parliament, they're not doing themselves any favours.

Man of Honour
CPS urged not to put climate activists on trial after spate of miniscule fines and acquittals. Sure that'll please some here.

In reponse a spokesperson for astroturfed Climate denial outfit Global Warming Policy Exchange aka Net Zero Watch said:

“But, you know, we might face significant warming and significant problems. But it’s not the end of the world, is it?”​

It's nonsense on stilts from the law firm concerned.

The action, not the claimed motivation or cause, is what should determine criminality and punishment.

Would you accept the same actions as legitimate if they were done in the name of racial purity, theological law or prohibiting alternative sexualities? What actions are acceptable shouldn't be judged by the subjective measure of whether the cause is good or bad.

Soldato
Martin Luther King was jailed too.

Odd how he’s remembered now. I hope these guys aren’t right and we don’t look back on this with shame.

Permabanned
Last edited:
Caporegime
Jailing them seems the appropriate course of action; but I doubt it will substantially impact the actions of the rest. They expected to be jailed - in fact they were actively planning to get jailed - so it's priced in to their actions already.

Of course they're right about climate change, that's not the issues, their methods are

Doubtless people could say the same about MLK, or the suffragettes, or Ghandi, or countless other programmes of civil disobedience. Hell, look at what people were saying at the time.

Back
Top Bottom