Job changing hours

Soldato
You're just a bunch of a-holes. I've been lurking here for a while and decided to join in as had an issue arise today that needed addressing, and then I get all this grief that I'm supposedly not genuine. I know these boards can be incredibly cliquey towards non-established members, but wasn't expecting so much hostility...
The fact you've ignored all the helpful posts to get triggered says more about you than us

Man of Honour
If your contract says 9-5 and doesn’t contain another clause where they can vary that 9-5 then they can’t force you to do it without your explicit agreement.
And without two years continuous employment they can fire him for just about any reason without consequence.

I would refuse to do it. Then when forced to do it look for another job immediately.

Associate
but wasn't expecting so much hostility...
You received several genuine replies and a couple of "hostile" ones and throw your dummy out of the pram? Maybe a job in support isn't for you.

If you've been lurking for a while you'll have realised there are several posts like this every week and more often than not the op just dissapears after signing up to ask such a niche question.

Soldato
To be honest, in any sort of 'support' role (vague) I'd expect to do various shifts. It could be worse, they could be forcing you into night shifts etc. Latest shift ending at 7pm is nothing to write home about. There's plenty of people out there (including me) that work a "9 to 5 office job" but regularly work past 7pm just because.

I'd give it a whirl, see how you like it. And top tip for your future career; clock-watching gets you nowhere.

Soldato
I live to know who it is that keeps making these accounts up then posting threads like these.

The language is similar it's pretty obvious it's the same person of group of people at least.

Not enough controversy in this one though, the one about going on holiday with more than the allowed number of friends during covid restrictions was a corker!

Soldato
And without two years continuous employment they can fire him for just about any reason without consequence.

I would refuse to do it. Then when forced to do it look for another job immediately.

I know, I literally wrote it in the same post.

If your contract says 9-5 and doesn’t contain another clause where they can vary that 9-5 then they can’t force you to do it without your explicit agreement.

Many employers stopped specifying days and times for this very reason and just say they will give you X notice of a change in working pattern. They can change when they want you to work as and when needed with little comeback.

That said as you have worked for them for such a short period of time, they can end your employment easily with little comeback from you. You should bear that in mind if you want to try to make their life difficult.

I think option 2 - start looking for a new job is probably the realistic answer.

:)

Man of Honour
You're just a bunch of a-holes. I've been lurking here for a while and decided to join in as had an issue arise today that needed addressing, and then I get all this grief that I'm supposedly not genuine. I know these boards can be incredibly cliquey towards non-established members, but wasn't expecting so much hostility...
Grief? Behave.

Put your big girl pants on and actually interact with the useful posts if you want help or continue to throw your toys out of the pram and ignore the useful posts bringing more talk of you trolling if you don't.

Soldato
I worked in a call centre where we worked 4 days in, 4 days off. It was a pain when working out if going to be in when received letter for hospital appt in three months time, booking time off for foreign holiday in 5 months time (hoping that the middle 4 days out of 12 were your days in). Then it changed as some colleagues moaned that they only got 2 full weekends off every 7 weeks. Plus 2 more weeks were got one of them off. Also the hours in the weekend were reduced to 4pm finishing, instead of 6pm. Then worked every other weekend and got days off during week if working weekend.

Liked the 4 on/4 off in some respects as could meet up with friends who lived 100 miles away for a couple of nights away without breaking into my annual leave.

Caporegime
I worked in a call centre where we worked 4 days in, 4 days off. It was a pain when working out if going to be in when received letter for hospital appt in three months time, booking time off for foreign holiday in 5 months time (hoping that the middle 4 days out of 12 were your days in). Then it changed as some colleagues moaned that they only got 2 full weekends off every 7 weeks. Plus 2 more weeks were got one of them off. Also the hours in the weekend were reduced to 4pm finishing, instead of 6pm. Then worked every other weekend and got days off during week if working weekend.

Liked the 4 on/4 off in some respects as could meet up with friends who lived 100 miles away for a couple of nights away without breaking into my annual leave.

Five minutes with a calender and you could mark up all your work days for the year. If you wanted your foreign holiday to have the middle four days as work days then you book one accordingly, you don't have to hope for it.

Soldato

BYE :p

Last edited:
I'll turn a blind eye to the fact that this is the first post from @mf4279 (welcome btw). This is primarily a computer forum though, and your thread would be better placed in the careers sub-section of GD. A mod can move that for you. You could also try the MSE forums where they have a careers section called Employment, Jobseeking & Training.

Call me naive, but I don't see why this is a troll post. Can anyone elaborate, apart from the @peterwalkley "offended" possibility? (as everyone is offended nowadays!)

Back
Top Bottom