Poll: Qatar Grand Prix 2021, Lusail - Race 20

Rate the 2021 Qatar Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Video circulating of Max passing double yellows and still improving time
His second sector of his second run was slower than his first run though, so even though he improved over the whole lap, I don’t think he will be penalised for it. IIRC the yellows were in S2.

Sorry indeed that is what I meant, but given recent events it almost seemed inevitable

Ah ok, I see what you mean. It would certainly add fire to the “They don’t want Hamilton to win again” argument!

Soldato
His second sector of his second run was slower than his first run though, so even though he improved over the whole lap, I don’t think he will be penalised for it. IIRC the yellows were in S2.

Ah ok, I see what you mean. It would certainly add fire to the “They don’t want Hamilton to win again” argument!
Of course he won't be penalised for it.

Soldato

They were just coming out of the final turn.

Double waved yellow flags but not lights.

I'd be surprised to see a penalty.

Soldato
Are the q3 top speeds available, would be interesting to see the delta between lewis and max. If it's a big as Brazil lewis could just concede t1 if max does his usual let me through or we crash move and Lewis can then just fly by on the 1k straight a couple laps later

I don't think Merc's top speeds were anything special here. Lewis is 1km/h faster in the trap in sector 1 and doesn't make the top 5 in the other sectors.

Soldato
He was accelerating past the double yellow as he passes Gasly down to the lap finish line.

The problem is I'm not sure the marshal was correct to wave those. I don't know what the rules are though, can the marshal overrule the system?

Soldato
They were just coming out of the final turn.

Double waved yellow flags but not lights.

I'd be surprised to see a penalty.
When Gasley was stopped on the start/finish straight?

The on-screen graphics said the track was green by that point so I didn’t think there were any flags. How confusing.

Soldato
Divebomb down the inside of Max at T1, brake so late he's "in front" and then just don't turn in :p

This is exactly my thinking and i'd be amazed if it wasn't being discussed in Merc debrief as i'm typing.
Toto is still mad about what he considers to be a rule change over forcing a driver off track, that it must be uppermost in his mind to get Bottas to do to Max what Max did to Lewis.
As Max is starting in P2 on the dirty side of the track, it's more than doable for Bottas to be in front and on the inside at T1....................i for one would love to see it happen. Can you imagine how many dummies would be thrown out of Horner's pram should it happen :D

Soldato
When Gasley was stopped on the start/finish straight?

The on-screen graphics said the track was green by that point so I didn’t think there were any flags. How confusing.
That's why I don't think he'll face a penalty.

On screen it flicked back and forth. I suspect the flags were a mistake and if they're pressed on the issue the stewards will just say it was all confused and no worries.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Part of me thinks that they’d be waving the yellows if Lewis was pushing for pole and Max was safe.

Apparently they were happy that Gasly was off the racing line :confused:

Soldato
Part of me thinks that they’d be waving the yellows if Lewis was pushing for pole and Max was safe.

Apparently they were happy that Gasly was off the racing line :confused:

Other drivers slowed down for those yellows.

Only Bottas and Verstappen didn't. Although it isn't clear if they were up for Bottas.

edit:

Looks like Bottas had a single yellow or the marshal was just about to start waving double yellows.

https://streamable.com/c07l35

If flags always take precedence, then 3 place drop for Bottas (single yellow) and 5 place drop for Verstappen (double yellows).

Last edited:
Associate
Gasly entering turn 1 tomorrow

pirates-ship.gif

Soldato
Interestingly I was just reading a tweet/comments from the @F1 account with a clip of the Gasly accident from about 10mins ago - most comments asking about yellow flag investigation - refreshed the tweet to see new comments and it was gone :p

Back
Top Bottom