• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A year on from 30 series release

Associate
It's totally all to do with what I think they are worth, because it's my money I'm parting with and so that's all that matters to me. If I don't think something is worth what they are asking I don't buy, even if I can afford it.
Master of stating the obvious I see.

Soldato
It's sad to say but I think you are all a minority, arguing over this and that, when the overwhelming evidence supports the fact that the massive majority of people do not agree with your 'value' of current and last gen (and probably next gen) graphics cards, hence record sales, demand outstripping supply, and the majority still paying 'high' prices for graphics cards.
The only time I can see anything changing is when the market becomes saturated, and the desire starts to fall away. But probably by that time the whole cycle will start again with the next gen cards coming around and all the hype and excitement that goes with it. Yay, happy days! :rolleyes:

Perhaps a glimmer of hope would be that no one would desire next gen as highly as this gen, as there aren't the titles that need next gen performance, so why bother?

Who knows.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Master of stating the obvious I see.

Well you asked what I think they should be priced at, I simply answered the question.

I couldn't give a **** about R&D and material costs etc, I'm simply not interested in all that. All I care about is - how fast? , how much? All I need to know to make my decision.

Associate
Well you asked what I think they should be priced at, I simply answered the question.

I couldn't give a **** about R&D and material costs etc, I'm simply not interested in all that. All I care about is - how fast? , how much? All I need to know to make my decision.
And I think Ferraris should be £10,000.

Associate
It's sad to say but I think you are all a minority, arguing over this and that, when the overwhelming evidence supports the fact that the massive majority of people do not agree with your 'value' of current and last gen (and probably next gen) graphics cards, hence record sales, demand outstripping supply, and the majority still paying 'high' prices for graphics cards.
The only time I can see anything changing is when the market becomes saturated, and the desire starts to fall away. But probably by that time the whole cycle will start again with the next gen cards coming around and all the hype and excitement that goes with it. Yay, happy days! :rolleyes:

Perhaps a glimmer of hope would be that no one would desire next gen as highly as this gen, as there aren't the titles that need next gen performance, so why bother?

Who knows.
I don't think there will ever be a time that titles won't be making use of the next gen performance.....there's always pushing higher res with higher frames and people can always find a way to desire higher and higher of both of these. Plus VR will pretty much always be able to make use of your extra power if you allow it to. Unfortunately I think you may be right that most people don't care and are willing to pay insane prices for more powwwwwwa!

Soldato
A quick look on OCUK website, and there are no 3080's in stock, only one 3080Ti at £1650, and only one 3090 at £3000. I can only imagine any stock that does come in is being sold. Like it or not the current market is supporting these prices :(

Personally, if it wasnt for Nvidia still selling GPU's at last years msrp I would not be owning a 3090FE (bought 3 months ago from a drop). And yet strangely enough I had budgeted £1500 even before the 30 series was released or priced, based on the silly high prices the 2080Ti was going for before EoL (I skipped the 20 series, as I thought the performance didnt justify the price).

Associate
OP mentioned performance rather than price. 3060ti for £369 against a 2080ti for £1200 which is similiar performance 3060ti is a bargain. Even if the 2080ti was £700 the 3060ti still a bargain which ever way you look at it.
3060ti is a cracking card at £369 the performance/£ ratio is brilliant against a 2080ti. It also undervolts/overclocks really well and was only 200 points less than my 3070 at stock in Timespy.

@delvey I agree with you.

In reflection I went 3060ti FE > Palit 3070 > 3080 Fe > 6900xt so you could say I`m past the 3xxx reflection.

6900xt was the card I always wanted just took me six months after release to get one.

You could also say you are now an expert on Graphic cards. i have to agree if you are on a budget the 3060ti FE is the best option.

Associate
I'm on the waitlist for EVGA still, no way I am buying a card at these hugely inflated prices.
I just hope that this won't become the new normal, and that prices will eventually drop, but I doubt it.

Permabanned
Well, you only have to go on that auction site and you will see pages upon pages of brand new PS5s and GPUs , all scalped prices. Thousands of them! But then shops don't have as much stock as them.

So after a year , this issue still exists where the scalpers are still taking the P. They have ruined the GPU and Console market for everyone else.

Associate
Well, you only have to go on that auction site and you will see pages upon pages of brand new PS5s and GPUs , all scalped prices. Thousands of them! But then shops don't have as much stock as them.

So after a year , this issue still exists where the scalpers are still taking the P. They have ruined the GPU and Console market for everyone else.
Not really. It is supply and demand.
Like the gas market
Or petrol/diesel
If people weren't buying at the over inflated prices, people wouldn't be selling at over inflated prices. It's on the buyers as much as the sellers.

Associate
Like the gas market
Or petrol/diesel
If people weren't buying at the over inflated prices, people wouldn't be selling at over inflated prices. It's on the buyers as much as the sellers.

Yep there is plenty of stuff that is more expensive then in Europe and it`s got nothing to do with brexit it is just that brits are happy to pay over the odds.

Associate
Ignoring the crazy prices, and lack of availability, the other thing that I think we're going to see is more crazy power consumption. I've seen predictions that the 4080 is going to consume 640W.

Associate
I think MSRP's are getting too high tbh, 3060 should be around £200, 3070 - £300 etc. We've lost the budget gaming sector as nothing can be considered cheap, budget gaming appears to direct towards the second hand market.

Soldato
Like the gas market
Or petrol/diesel

Not really, as you can't live without Gas/Electric, and many people can't get to work without petrol/diesel, or their job is reliant on petrol/diesel like a White Van Man/Cabbie.

In essence this countries economy is a scam from birth to death and from the minute you wake up to when you go to bed.

Soldato
why do nvidia need partner aib's if they can just sell every gpu they make as founders ones on their own store? that way price be cheapo and more stock.

I would imagine more profit margins in selling the chips to the AIB`s and not having to do all the rest of it. If it was better the other way around then im sure they would be all over it.

Back
Top Bottom